• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Gone through multiple scenes with RT on Vs off on a 3080 and I can't tell the difference other than the framerate halving. In some specific area like the water it's noticeable but I don't think they needed RT for that, they just slacked on the non RT water. Half life 2 has better water than cp2077 non RT :D:D.

However I can see a difference with DLSS on (more blurry, less sharp textures, fuzziness on fine thin objects), so it's DLSS off and RT off for me :cool:

You could ditch the RT lighting and shadows and keep the reflections on for a decent boost in FPS

Associate
Gone through multiple scenes with RT on Vs off on a 3080 and I can't tell the difference other than the framerate halving. In some specific area like the water it's noticeable but I don't think they needed RT for that, they just slacked on the non RT water. Half life 2 has better water than cp2077 non RT :D:D.

However I can see a difference with DLSS on (more blurry, less sharp textures, fuzziness on fine thin objects), so it's DLSS off and RT off for me :cool:
Some people seem to think when you buy a GPU you need to align yourself to all the BS.

As above at 1440 I play with RT and DLSS off as the RT offers very little extra despite some people claiming it's unplayable without. Also at 1440 DLSS even at quality has noticeable blur when driving and moving around so I can't use it.

I do however turn DLSS on if I want to play a little at 4K with a better frame rate. This is where DLSS actually has a little benefit and the blur is not as noticeable for me.

Permabanned
Nvidia had a team working with CDPR. It's standard operating procedures called developer relations. It's suppose to be in their development kit when optimizing the game to work with their hardware.
Therefore, I question ampere's ability not the developer. Because CDPR won't implement features that don't work nor work well with ampere. As it stands, in my opinion, ampere doesn't work or doesn't work well using both high levels of RT and DX12U. So they dumped DX12U for RT.

But for AMD, they are plowing ahead with DX12U console ported games to PC. Optimizing and updating SAM for both Zen3 and apparently Zen2. They even worked with rival Intel to bring SAM on their chipsets as well.

When I factor all of these great benefits AMD offers it's impossible for me to ignore to only look at ampere and CB2077. Your view of that is minuscule in comparison.
RDNA 2 offers so much!! And, is a direct meanings of gaming on those ported console games too.

So your post is still not an answer to what's going on.

:D

Yet here you are again, bringing up Ampere and CP2077 :rolleyes:

You asked about various Nvidia tech and I linked DF's videos clearly showing such tech on Nvidia hardware. Did you not watch?

My answer as to what is going on regarding CP2077 is ASK THE DEVS WHO WORKED ON RED ENGINE.

I think AMD is a great company. They work far better with others. Indeed, I'd prefer to buy an AMD GPU if they had one that offered the performance I am after, but sadly they don't. Once again they are a generation behind.

Maybe you are just more suited to consoles :p

Oh but you don't remember. When Ubisoft launched an AC game sponsored by Nvidia, they removed DirectX 10.1 support from it because Nvidia was lagging far behind AMD at that time. This is the way it's meant to be played, you sign the pact with the devil you do what he wants. :)

Yep, I'm not defending Nvidia's BS at all. My 290 and I adored AMD's solution for HairWorks in the Witcher 3.

Lol you need to understand that only a small percent of these steam users have a card that can do RT and the percent that owns a 3000 gen Nvidia card is minuscule.

I do, and I also understand there will be A LOT of 3060Ti sales. My point was that I, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, don't buy a PC GPU based on console games. Indeed the last console I purchased was a Sega Master System.

Permabanned

I grabbed a few random On/Off screen shots that you can flip between if you are interested. It surprised me how much RT is used within the scene. For me the game looks physically real compared to the pancake 3D we have had for decades. I wasn't expecting such an improvement.

Playing at 1440p I stick to DLSS Quality. I have no issues with blur, but I did follow the recommendations of others as to using sharpening. Google is your friend, search 'cyberpunk 2077 textures blurred'.

With my ancient 3770k I'm getting 45- capped 60FPS. I can live with that considering the massive increase in IQ. You could also try dropping to 1080p if you wanted higher FPS.

Soldato
I grabbed a few random On/Off screen shots that you can flip between if you are interested. It surprised me how much RT is used within the scene. For me the game looks physically real compared to the pancake 3D we have had for decades. I wasn't expecting such an improvement.

Playing at 1440p I stick to DLSS Quality. I have no issues with blur, but I did follow the recommendations of others as to using sharpening. Google is your friend, search 'cyberpunk 2077 textures blurred'.

With my ancient 3770k I'm getting 45- capped 60FPS. I can live with that considering the massive increase in IQ. You could also try dropping to 1080p if you wanted higher FPS.

Your problem is you are thinking in the bubble that is CP2077. Step outside the bubble and look at shadows and reflections in many other games such as RDR2, or even CDPRs own Witcher 3. The standard water in CP2007 is significantly worse looking that water from older non RT games. So comparing CP2077 water in RT on vs off scenarios is not looking at the bigger picture. The screenshot GrimVidia showed gives a perfect example of how utterly horrible a job the devs did in the non-RT water in CP2077. Why does it look significantly worse than Witcher 3, a CDPR non-RT game from over 5 years ago. Why have CDPR devs regressed to water that is worse than their older game? Is it ineptitude, or artificial gimping? You decide for yourself because I already have a conclusion and it doesn't paint Nvidia or CDPR in a good light.

So to say that turning RT on in CP2077 makes it more "lifelike" is indeed accurate but not because the RT on takes it to the next level. It's because RT seems to put back many of the missing effects that could easily be done with RT off. Oh and this is coming from someone who owns an RTX 3080 FE, RTX 2080 and an RTX 2060 S.

For the record I do see the potential in RT for gaming and welcome it, but picking one game and saying here it is on vs off is not a fair reflection (pun intended).

body-of-water-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-video-games-wallpaper-296976

PC Witcher 3
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-video-games-body-water-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Or the PS4 version.
maxresdefault.jpg

Now look at CP2077 stock vs RT water in comparison to that 5 and a half year old game from the same developers. Why the massive regression?
rt1.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nothing yet but HU said they believe it could be the next GPU refresh before it's ready for release. AMD really need it ASAP because people don't game on "potential future" features.

That is 2022 if you are waiting for Navi 3X.
I am quite sure that the loyal AMD users will not care about it and will game as is.

Soldato
That is 2022 if you are waiting for Navi 3X.
I am quite sure that the loyal AMD users will not care about it and will game as is.

I disagree, because DLSS 2.0 does actually work well and give a big performance boost at minimal IQ cost. So my RTX 2080 is faster than an RX 6800 in CP2077 and WDL at 4K. I hated DLSS when it came out as it was truly horrible, but with 2.0 it is now doing a very good job. Even if you leave RT off you are getting comparable IQ with a big performance boost. AMD can not ignore that as it is a very big selling point.

Permabanned
I disagree, because DLSS 2.0 does actually work well and give a big performance boost at minimal IQ cost. So my RTX 2080 is faster than an RX 6800 in CP2077 and WDL at 4K. I hated DLSS when it came out as it was truly horrible, but with 2.0 it is now doing a very good job. Even if you leave RT off you are getting comparable IQ with a big performance boost. AMD can not ignore that as it is a very big selling point.

You can lower the settings right now and achieve the same - switch all post-processing off and go from ultra-high to medium-high.

Caporegime
That's why I despise nvidias closed source bs effects, the developers focus on making nvidias methods look as best as possible and put less effort/resources into the game engine effects then, either that or purposely sabotage them because of the under table exchange that goes on with nvidia, take your pick......

We have seen this time and time again with physx and the smoke, light rays, fire/flames, rain droplets etc. etc. In the end, they all died of.....

Obviously some of these aren't open world but still as shown above, look at rdr 2..... Some of the best games for reflections, lighting etc. are years old and imo, can look better than RTX ray tracing in some areas and if it doesn't look better to your eyes, just remember, that these games can run well over 100 fps, especially with newer hardware without the need for DLSS etc. to even achieve a constant 60 fps....

P45pJF9l.png.jpg

iV7utssl.png.jpg

HBN4bHGl.png.jpg

h71d0bJl.png.jpg

NJczeZVl.jpg

And without a doubt, probably still arguably the best for this yet:

Throw in other games like shadow of the tomb raider, watch dogs 2, battlefield 3 + 4 etc.

EDIT: Also, don't even get me started with tlou 2 or horizon zero dawn.....

Some of those are several years old..... Sad state of affairs really tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can lower the settings right now and achieve the same - switch all post-processing off and go from ultra-high to medium-high.

Not the same thing, you are missing the point entirely. With DLSS 2.0 on quality I can actually run higher settings at 4K with little or no IQ loss. The problem is the poor number of games that support DLSS 2.0. For many this gives their old GPU a new lease of life and it's an Nvidia exclusive feature. As more games support it the more problematic it will become for AMD. Anyone still proclaiming DLSS 2.0 as a joke are deluding themselves, I have become a convert after seeing both WDL and CP2077 with DLSS 2.0, without it my RTX 2080 would have to be on medium low settings at 4K. Yes I know it's not true 4K but for the most part it's close enough and far better than simply dropping setting or resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's why I despise nvidias closed source bs effects, the developers focus on making nvidias methods look as best as possible and put less effort/resources into the game engine effects then, either that or purposely sabotage them because of the under table exchange that goes on with nvidia, take your pick......

We have seen this time and time again with physx and the smoke, light rays, fire/flames, rain droplets etc. etc. In the end, they all died of.....

Obviously some of these aren't open world but still as shown above, look at rdr 2..... Some of the best games for reflections, lighting etc. are years old and imo, can look better than RTX ray tracing in some areas and if it doesn't look better to your eyes, just remember, that these games can run well over 100 fps, especially with newer hardware without the need for DLSS etc. to even achieve a constant 60 fps....

P45pJF9l.png.jpg

iV7utssl.png.jpg

HBN4bHGl.png.jpg

h71d0bJl.png.jpg

NJczeZVl.jpg

And without a doubt, probably still arguably the best for this yet:

Throw in other games like shadow of the tomb raider, watch dogs 2, battlefield 3 + 4 etc.

Some of those are several years old..... Sad state of affairs really tbh.

Absolutely the point I was making and could easily have brought up the older PhysX games. It's an old Nvidia marketing ploy and people arer still falling for it. There is no way the standard water in CP2077 is anything other than gimped compared to what could have been done. The question then becomes is it ineptitude or by design.

How anyone can look at CP2007 water with RT on/off then proclaim RT awesome is just perplexing to be fair. I think those people need to take a step back and look at the screenshots from older games to see actual comparisons.

Soldato
Absolutely the point I was making and could easily have brought up the older PhysX games. It's an old Nvidia marketing ploy and people arer still falling for it. There is no way the standard water in CP2077 is anything other than gimped compared to what could have been done. The question then becomes is it ineptitude or by design.

How anyone can look at CP2007 water with RT on/off then proclaim RT awesome is just perplexing to be fair. I think those people need to take a step back and look at the screenshots from older games to see actual comparisons.

CDPR guy: Hey guys, where are we with the water design and physics?
CDPR guy 2: Well, i'm currently looking at willy design and physics.
CDPR guy: Well we only have a month left to go so we need to move on from the willies now...
CDPR guy 2: BUT THE WILLIES NEED TO BE PERFECT!!!111
CDPR guy: Just get the water sorted
CDPR guy 2: //installs default water and physics from 1998//
CDPR guy 2: //Then goes back to looking at willies//

Permabanned
Your problem is you are thinking in the bubble that is CP2077. Step outside the bubble and look at shadows and reflections in many other games such as RDR2, or even CDPRs own Witcher 3. The standard water in CP2007 is significantly worse looking that water from older non RT games. So comparing CP2077 water in RT on vs off scenarios is not looking at the bigger picture. The screenshot GrimVidia showed gives a perfect example of how utterly horrible a job the devs did in the non-RT water in CP2077. Why does it look significantly worse than Witcher 3, a CDPR non-RT game from over 5 years ago. Why have CDPR devs regressed to water that is worse than their older game? Is it ineptitude, or artificial gimping? You decide for yourself because I already have a conclusion and it doesn't paint Nvidia or CDPR in a good light.

So to say that turning RT on in CP2077 makes it more "lifelike" is indeed accurate but not because the RT on takes it to the next level. It's because RT seems to put back many of the missing effects that could easily be done with RT off. Oh and this is coming from someone who owns an RTX 3080 FE, RTX 2080 and an RTX 2060 S.

For the record I do see the potential in RT for gaming and welcome it, but picking one game and saying here it is on vs off is not a fair reflection (pun intended).

body-of-water-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-video-games-wallpaper-296976

PC Witcher 3
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-video-games-body-water-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Or the PS4 version.
maxresdefault.jpg

Now look at CP2077 stock vs RT water in comparison to that 5 and a half year old game from the same developers. Why the massive regression?
rt1.png

Both The Witcher 3 and RDR2 look great, but I'm never going to mistake either for a real physical world. Even CP2077 looks great with RT off. What I find though when I turn RT on is that the world fits together, assets look as though they are part of the scene rather than just cardboard cut outs thrown in randomly. CP2077 feels far more cohesive with RT maxed out. I've mistaken it when I started playing thinking I'd left the TV tuner on.

Associate
Yeah DLSS is great and even though it has some artifacting in some areas it does keep the image looking sharp.
People keep saying here “new consoles run games at 4K 60.!!” but really I don’t think there is one good looking game that runs at native 4k60 on them.
New Daemon Souls for example runs at 1440p and that upscaled to 4K doesn’t look anywhere as good as DLSS in quality mode.

Associate
Some people seem to think when you buy a GPU you need to align yourself to all the BS.

As above at 1440 I play with RT and DLSS off as the RT offers very little extra despite some people claiming it's unplayable without. Also at 1440 DLSS even at quality has noticeable blur when driving and moving around so I can't use it.

I do however turn DLSS on if I want to play a little at 4K with a better frame rate. This is where DLSS actually has a little benefit and the blur is not as noticeable for me.
Yeah I play at 1440p mainly and the DLSS blur is very noticeable when switching between Quality and Native res. Ill take the sharpness of native 1440 anyday. At 4K it probably does a better job but then again 1440p on a 4k TV looks really nice too whereas 1080p on a 1440 panel looks like crap.
I think im just more sensitive to blur than other people, I notice a lot of smearing on VA panels where other people don't.

Associate
Both The Witcher 3 and RDR2 look great, but I'm never going to mistake either for a real physical world. Even CP2077 looks great with RT off. What I find though when I turn RT on is that the world fits together, assets look as though they are part of the scene rather than just cardboard cut outs thrown in randomly. CP2077 feels far more cohesive with RT maxed out. I've mistaken it when I started playing thinking I'd left the TV tuner on.
PMSL , so just ignore everything else that's been posted and stick to the cardboard cutout and pancake theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom