Two fans on a cpu

Associate
First of all I'm buying a noctua nh-u12s and intend on using a single fan, a 500w psu is fine right?

If I wanted a second fan how would I connect it ? As far as I know my mobo only supports one cpu fan. I know you can get splitters but are these safe and is there any real benefit to getting two fans ?
Cpu is a ryzen 5 3600

Associate
Many motherboards have a CPU OPT fan header for a second CPU fan.

If not splitters work fine, not a huge benefit to a second fan, about 3C at best, I run a 2nd Silentwings 3 fan on a Be Quiet cooler as I had a spare after changing cases. In my case there's no extra noise but a 2nd cpu fan can even make for more noise with non silent designed fans.

Associate
OP
Ya I dont think I have two sockets for fans. Just the one.
I heard using a splitter can overload the socket

Not intending on getting two I'm just doing some research

My 3600 runs really cool even with stock cooler ( 72c whilst gaming )

Associate
2 fans on a splitter shouldn't overload anything as long as both fans are the same type, I use 3 x Noctua 2 headed splitters for my other 6 case fans, no worries at all using them. I'm using splitters on both PWM and DC fan types, but both have to be the same, don't mix DC and PWM fans on same splitter.

Associate
Ya I dont think I have two sockets for fans. Just the one.
I heard using a splitter can overload the socket

Not intending on getting two I'm just doing some research

My 3600 runs really cool even with stock cooler ( 72c whilst gaming )

There can be a current limit if you have some crazy nieche high RPM or MASSIVE fans that draw too much amperage (this was more of a old-days hacking issue ). You wont have any issue with two purpose made mass market fans. The limiting factor is the motherboard, not the PSU. The manual will give you a current limit. The fans will state a max current draw. If you have n fans then just multiply that current by n and compare. But unless there is something out of the ordinary that you have not let on to... you will be fine.

Associate
OP
Got the noctua set up with a single fan.
Would I notice much difference with an extra one ? I already have an exhaust style fan on the left of the heatsink connected to my case

Soldato
There is only 0-3c difference in maximum cooling ability between single push fans and 2x push/pull fans. Good example is NH-D15 (2x fans) vs NH-D15s (1x middle fan) is 0c to 2c warmer .. 3c difference at most. 2x vs 1x fans cool the same at same noise level, it's only at full speed we see the improvement. How case airflow is setup makes way more difference than 2x fans on cooler.
Link below to basics of airflow and how to optimizce case airflow might be of interest:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Back
Top Bottom