Hanging a shelf in the garage (Breeze block)

Soldato
So tonight's job was to hang up an old shelf I got from Ikea a while ago and it fell down as I used small plasterboard wall pegs. I tried again tonight and used some larger plugs.

Something similar to this

k-10_v2_img1_d.jpg

Tested the shelf and it wasn't stable enough, can I salvage the existing holes I drilled and use something like anchor bolts or is it best I use new holes with the anchor bolts?

Soldato
Fischer Duopower. Any substrate, any load. They just work. Not the cheapest but they work on ANYTHING. BRick, breezeblock, stone, wood, plasterboard, jelly. Anything.

fischer 536162 DUOPOWER Wallplug with Screws, Red/Grey/Metal: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

This pretty much, you can buy them in screwfix or tool station in boxes of 100 for £4-£7 depending on size. I haven’t bought anything else since I started using these.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-n...sp=managedredirect-_-screwsfixings-_-duopower

I wouldn’t say any load but what they can support is printed on the box and in block a few fixings are more than enough for a shelf. Block can be a bit tricky because it’s crumbly but these will hold without problem.

Permabanned
Anchor bolts can fail too. Some are actually quite weak. What is the problem with the plugs and bolts? I guess it's most likely the wrong size hole. If the hole is correct then they should be very secure. If the hole is wibbly wobbly then anchor bolts won't work either. I guess they have their place but if I have a lot to do then I prefer using threaded bar and chemical mortar. Then you don't need to be so accurate with the holes. But you really shouldn't need even that, the standard plugs and screws should be enough.

Soldato
I guess they have their place but if I have a lot to do then I prefer using threaded bar and chemical mortar. Then you don't need to be so accurate with the holes.

That is the ultimate (correct) way to do it. If I was doing massive floating shelves I might go that far but I've got bracketed shelves, 1m deep 15U server cabinets with 40kg of gear in them, bike racks and a 65kg pressure washer with hose and lances hanging off my garage walls using the Fischer Duopower mountings I linked to above. You're right - the chemical mortar with a threaded bar is the absolute best way to do it, but it shouldn't be needed in this instance. Unless the breeze blocks are made out of oasis these days or something.

Soldato
All you guys who's voting for the Duopower, how does that design differ from the one I posted in my original post? Similar design no?

Can’t see from your photo, but the DuoPower plugs are a two-part construction which makes them far more flexible in deforming for maximum grip.

I’ve used them for hanging heavy loads from breeze block walls and they are very good indeed.

Soldato
I also find that they are just better built. They fit very tightly in the hole (assuming you drilled it accurately), there is no chance of them turning as you put in your fixing and they also have a small lip so they can’t be pushed further into the wall in error.

Soldato
OP
So I end up picking up the duopower, used the correct drill and put my plugs in the new holes. I tried to reuse the existing wholes but they were too big so I couldn't salvage them
Its holding up the shelf quite well and tried to put a bit of weight behind it and seems like its not going anywhere. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom