• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help please!!!! System won’t power with CPU

Associate
System is Ryzen 5 3600X, MSI X570 MPG Gaming Edge, 16gb DDR 4, 600W PSU, 2060 and 2xM2 SSD.

Moved house, put PC into storage and it wouldn’t work when I came to use it again. I was all ready to order a motherboard and power supply. All completely dead, no power to anything.
I tried for some reason to power the board up out of the case with nothing installed and it turned on. Plugged everything else back in but it won’t turn on at all with the CPU installed. I don’t have any way of testing anything as I don’t know anyone with an AMD system. Can someone give best guess please so I can get something ordered. Thanks.

Associate
First off check and reset cpu, gpu and ram(1 stick in a slot at a time). Do this out of the case to help make sure it's not shorting out somehow. With cpu check that the pins are clean and straight. It probably powered on if it a motherboard that can have the bios updated with nothing installed.

Associate
OP
First off check and reset cpu, gpu and ram(1 stick in a slot at a time). Do this out of the case to help make sure it's not shorting out somehow. With cpu check that the pins are clean and straight.

I’ve tried all that. It all powers on except for when the CPU is installed then it’s completely dead. Once CPU is removed everything kicks in and spins up but obvs the system won’t boot. I also managed to try a different PSU now and it’s still the same.

Man of Honour
System is Ryzen 5 3600X, MSI X570 MPG Gaming Edge, 16gb DDR 4, 600W PSU, 2060 and 2xM2 SSD.

Moved house, put PC into storage and it wouldn’t work when I came to use it again. I was all ready to order a motherboard and power supply. All completely dead, no power to anything.
I tried for some reason to power the board up out of the case with nothing installed and it turned on. Plugged everything else back in but it won’t turn on at all with the CPU installed. I don’t have any way of testing anything as I don’t know anyone with an AMD system. Can someone give best guess please so I can get something ordered. Thanks.

RMA with AMD, their RMA is amazing. I had a new boxed cpu within 2 days.

All you need is a serial number and you are set.

Associate
OP
All sorted. While I was waiting for Amd to get back to me which I’m still waiting for I got a cheap B550 board and all back up and running now.

Thanks for help guys n gals.

Associate
RMA with AMD, their RMA is amazing. I had a new boxed cpu within 2 days.

All you need is a serial number and you are set.

Vince literally only the serial number they dont ask for proof of purchase? i recently bought a 3800x on ebay without a cooler or retail box just the small box with the cpu in the plastic tray with the warrenty sheet, i have opened a returns with ebay cause from what i gather i am not entitled to the 3 year warranty

Soldato
All sorted. While I was waiting for Amd to get back to me which I’m still waiting for I got a cheap B550 board and all back up and running now.

Thanks for help guys n gals.
So the issue was the mobo and not the CPU then or are you using a different processor?

Associate
OP
So the issue was the mobo and not the CPU then or are you using a different processor?

Same CPU. Thought i'd risk buying a board from somewhere I wouldn't have much issue returning it to should it not be the board but it's all working now so i'll see if I can RMA the board with MSI.

Man of Honour
Vince literally only the serial number they dont ask for proof of purchase? i recently bought a 3800x on ebay without a cooler or retail box just the small box with the cpu in the plastic tray with the warrenty sheet, i have opened a returns with ebay cause from what i gather i am not entitled to the 3 year warranty

I had no proof of purchase as i bought it off of these forums. Its serial number, that gives them production date and if it was an oem or retail cpu. If it was at some point a retail you get an rma. Just fill in the form and away you go.

Soldato
Same CPU. Thought i'd risk buying a board from somewhere I wouldn't have much issue returning it to should it not be the board but it's all working now so i'll see if I can RMA the board with MSI.
Glad it’s all working and you narrowed down the fault to the mobo as saved you sending back the cpu to find no fault then having to rma the board after.

Associate
OP
Got a reply from AMD stating their RMA requirements/demands if anyone is interested.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your email.

I understand you wish to claim warranty on your Processor

Please could you provide the following information for claim verification:

1. Picture of your processor installed in the motherboard socket, with the heatsink and fan removed, clearly displaying the cpu model and serial number

2. The original vendor provided invoice or receipt document, clearly displaying the details of the purchase.

Please note for online purchases, only the original pdf or the original invoicing email will be accepted.

3. Details of any troubleshooting performed, including results that prove a defective processor.

Please note we cannot process your claim until all information is received.

Once we have verified your provided information to our satisfaction, we will happily authorize your RMA return.

Back
Top Bottom