• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x too much?

Associate
Hi,building my first ever gaming pc and need some guidance from real world experienced ppl please.

I've bought a Samsung odyssey g9 monitor, I've the desire for a 6800xt gpu or may switch to 3080 depending on stock levels.

Pc predominantly will be used for gaming,some photoshop,p Pro work all as hobby and work isn't tasking.

Question is would a 5600x in any way be lacking behind so much in comparison to a 5900x for the use cases or would it be seen as a waste and inevitably in the next year or 2 an upgrade to 5900x will be required anyway to play.

Games will be AAA and high fps to make the most of g9 is desirable!

Thanks

Soldato
IMO a 5600X will be absolutely fine for gaming for the next 3-5 years. When it starts showing its age a cheaper/faster 12/16 core replacement can be dropped in (problem a bargain used chip).

Permabanned
IMO a 5600X will be absolutely fine for gaming for the next 3-5 years. When it starts showing its age a cheaper/faster 12/16 core replacement can be dropped in (problem a bargain used chip).

In 3-5 years no one will remember the six-core processor - you probably meant 3-5 months?

Associate
Hi,building my first ever gaming pc and need some guidance from real world experienced ppl please.

I've bought a Samsung odyssey g9 monitor, I've the desire for a 6800xt gpu or may switch to 3080 depending on stock levels.

Pc predominantly will be used for gaming,some photoshop,p Pro work all as hobby and work isn't tasking.

Question is would a 5600x in any way be lacking behind so much in comparison to a 5900x for the use cases or would it be seen as a waste and inevitably in the next year or 2 an upgrade to 5900x will be required anyway to play.

Games will be AAA and high fps to make the most of g9 is desirable!

Thanks

5600x will be fine for the next few years

Permabanned
Your knowledge of PC hardware is shocking at times!

You will learn later this year when Intel release the 24-thread (8 big + HT + 8 LITTLE) Alder Lake ;)

This is happening this year. In 5 years, 5600X's relative performance will be lower than what the current entry level Celerons offer compared to Ryzen 9 5950X...

Associate
You will learn later this year when Intel release the 24-thread (8 big + HT + 8 LITTLE) Alder Lake ;)

This is happening this year. In 5 years, 5600X's relative performance will be lower than what the current entry level Celerons offer compared to Ryzen 9 5950X...
OP says a year or 2 with a 5600x. At the G9's resolution it could take more than 5 years before OP finds themselves CPU bottlenecked.

Soldato

Given the 5600/5900 are very close in pure gaming terms are you trying to suggest that the OP should hold out abs only buy this fabled Alder Lake CPU, because anything else will be useless in 5 years? But somehow this Intel CPU won’t be? What are you even talking about :D

Get the 5600x, put it with 32GB of 3600 with fast timings and a decent GPU, job done.

Soldato

Yep, this is happening this year..........................yawn................................same old same old. Wake me up when something is worth buying.

Soldato
For me it was between a 5600x and a 5900x. I ended up with the 5900x because personally id rather have too much than not enough.

Granted its probably too much at the moment but we cant predict how demanding games will become in the next 6 months/1 year.

Soldato
5800x, because it doesn't have half binned **** cores that don't overclock properly :eek:

+1 on this, I had a 5900X and like it says, one good CCD but with 2 rubbish / failed cores switched off and 1 not so good CCD with 2 cores switched off.
5600X One good CCD with the 2 worst / failed cores switched off
5800X One good CCD full stop, nothing switched off - This is what I have now and love it.

5950X is basically 2 5800X's

Associate
5800x for peace of mind. 5600x is a great processor but if you can afford it and are aiming high-end gaming, 5800x might give you a bit more longevity.

5900x is overkill.

Soldato
+1 on this, I had a 5900X and like it says, one good CCD but with 2 rubbish / failed cores switched off and 1 not so good CCD with 2 cores switched off.
5600X One good CCD with the 2 worst / failed cores switched off
5800X One good CCD full stop, nothing switched off - This is what I have now and love it.

5950X is basically 2 5800X's

So many threads with people mostly on 5900x's trying to overclock them with cores all over the place, I mean you could argue if you have 8 of 12 decent ones you've equalled a 5800x but that's really not the point.

Soldato
So many threads with people mostly on 5900x's trying to overclock them with cores all over the place, I mean you could argue if you have 8 of 12 decent ones you've equalled a 5800x but that's really not the point.

I agree, in the bios although you can reduce your core count, so effectively allowing your 12 core chip to run as a 6 core chip, that doesnt mean it will just use 6 cores on the best CCD, it might use 4 off one and 2 off another, and possibly perform worse than a 5600X.

Its never ever going to run as an 8 core chip on 1 CCD as 2 of the cores have been factory disabled, so its effectively two 6 core CCDs on the same package.

Back
Top Bottom