• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So if your a normal user and hate GPU mining,get over it.Try this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Spot of, if it were for medical research no one would be doing it.
No one will admit to it be so though, people will swear blind it's a good thing :p:D
That i can understand. A company needs a lot of hw power so they pay a ton of cash for some glass pieces. Then you put your hw power to work and you get a part of those money. That is legit. But right now, they get paid to waste a lot of resources, now there can be some value to that too if you produce too much power or by selling a lot more cards, some people will have a place to work thanks to others spending resources through mining. But it is still mostly a ponzi scheme and a huge waste of resouces.

Associate
I wonder why no one made a crypto currency for playing games on Steam or watching movies on p0rnhub. Because it is the same thing as mining. :D

Caporegime
Can I mine you for salt? :p

I've been mining for about 5 days when not gaming, have about £25 in BTC plus my room is a little warmer. I don't think I'm going to be a millionaire, I don't care about decentralised currency. I just want a little bit of extra money to make this year a little bit less garbage.
I don't mind being the butt of the jokes. But joking aside, there is a serious problem with crypto. It is already - and going to become even more so - an environmental disaster. The system wants to absorb as many GPUs and as much energy as it can. There is no limit. No concept of efficiency. More is better. Always more and more.

The best thing for the planet is if crypto and crypto mining dies a death.

Caporegime
Yet you have a computer/TV/Phone all full of rare earth elements. Do I need to say more.
Yes most of us have a phone and a car.

Crypto is the equivalent of buying 100 phones and 20 cars and setting fire to them, then dumping the remains in the sea. Because somebody paid you to do it.

Phones are produced to serve a purpose (communication). Cars are produced to serve a purpose (transport). Crypto is just a get-rich-quick ponzi scheme.

Associate
I don't mind being the butt of the jokes. But joking aside, there is a serious problem with crypto. It is already - and going to become even more so - an environmental disaster. The system wants to absorb as many GPUs and as much energy as it can. There is no limit. No concept of efficiency. More is better. Always more and more.

The best thing for the planet is if crypto and crypto mining dies a death.
To many with vested interest on here to give a turnip about the planet mate aslong as they can have there GPUs and make there money, sod the planet and its problems. Afterall most of em already likely retired and probably don't think it's there problem.

Soldato
Step 1: Get Eth Wallet with MetaMask
Step 2: (For AMD GPU users) download lolMiner (use 2miners for pool & further tutorials)
Step 3: Mine
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit!

You can be done within an hour setting it all up. Getting about 62 MH/s with an RX 6800 @ 130ish W. That's around $150 a month, means I'll get my money back in about 6 months then it's pure profit. Just in time to switch to a refreshed Ampere hopefully. ;)

Of course, it won't stay that profitable that long but hey, better than losing value! Plus if you got an Ampere GPU you're doing even better as even a 3060 Ti can do those numbers and that's way cheaper & for less power.

vvr5ExF.jpg.png

Associate
Only once since I’ve gotten into computers has anybody cared about efficiency and that was when nvidia made the maxwell cards. All times before and since they have wanted what ever performed best regardless of power consumption...

isn’t mining about confirming another persons purchase with Bitcoin isn’t fake?

Soldato
Yes most of us have a phone and a car.

Crypto is the equivalent of buying 100 phones and 20 cars and setting fire to them, then dumping the remains in the sea. Because somebody paid you to do it.

Phones are produced to serve a purpose (communication). Cars are produced to serve a purpose (transport). Crypto is just a get-rich-quick ponzi scheme.

Not all crypto is Bitcoin... ethereum for example was never intended as a currency but is instead a massively decentralised “world computer” to run decentralised applications, can perform smart contracts and has a wealth of practical applications.

Regarding the energy use, again it is not inherent to “crypto”. An eventual move to proof of stake (PoS) rather than proof of work (PoW) would address the energy use for example... things take time, it is non trivial to move over to such a system but it is being attempted, at least in ethereum’s case. How long did the world rely purely on coal...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom