BMW continue with their hostile "OK Boomer" marketing angle, despite criticism...

Associate
I'm still not sure why everyone is so desperate to have this. I had it for a couple of weeks on a new 5 series and forgot to connect my phone. Just didn't seem to see what the benefit was? The car already had great satnav, integrated Spotify etc?

Google Maps / Waze is notably better at routing and live traffic than the BMW Nav. Just the other day a road near home was blocked due to an accident. BMW nav hadn't even updated to say it was an issue.

Spotify on CarPlay / Android Auto is a better UI experience too that the built in version.

Man of Honour
Google Maps / Waze is notably better at routing and live traffic than the BMW Nav. Just the other day a road near home was blocked due to an accident. BMW nav hadn't even updated to say it was an issue.

I usually find the opposite issue. Google maps is good at general traffic related delays but typically handles road closures in a manner that more often than not I find worse than useless. My two favourite problems with it are when it refuses to accept a road is closed - usually due to an accident or similar and routes you through the middle of the closure whilst proudly telling you the traffic is super free flowing in the closed road - and where it handles timed closures badly. Time and again I find a road marked closed on Google Maps when the reality is that it is open but closed between say 8pm and 6am for night works.

Both systems also have a very different approach to delay attribution. BMW RTTI is too simplistic - it simply adds all delay minutes to your journey. So, an extreme example, there is an accident 5 hours down the road adding a 60 minute delay. Your total journey time on RTTI is now 6 hours. Whereas Google Maps will assume that the accident will be clear by the time you get there and doesn't include it. Normally this is fine but in the event of a serious incident where the road remains closed for a long period due to investigation (ie, every major Motorway issue) Google thinks it'll be fine whereas at least RTTI tells you properly.

Waze is just absolutely annoying, I don't doubt it's useful but the interface feels like something you'd have as an optional extra on a Fisher Price peddle car. At least the data flows through to Google Maps so you can access it from there.

So I've found the best option is to use google as a backup guide but generally I find the integrated system serves me well, especially as it seamlessly works with the head up display and instrument cluster navigation view - on current generation cars with HUD I rarely if ever actually look at the centre display Android Auto would appear in - everything I need is projected onto the road in front of me.

Spotify on CarPlay / Android Auto is a better UI experience too that the built in version.

This is very version specific. In my 2015 car with BMW Apps Interface it is a faff - I have to use a dedicated plugged in iPhone, but works ok enough. I can imagine Carplay/AA is vastly superior to this setup. But on the current generation cars now the integrated system is as good as you could ever want - I scan the QR code with my phone and instantly have complete and perfect access to Spotify. It's really very, very good indeed.

Soldato
I like to have waze running in the background when using the built in navigation where it will notify me of speed cameras with sound alerts it integrates well with Spotify so doesn't affect the play back.

One downside on the current generation cars after 3 years you need to pay for most of the BMW services it looks like £10-20 a month depending on what package you go with and it you want legit map updates. That starts to add up compared to the free services on your phone.

Man of Honour
but typically handles road closures in a manner that more often than not I find worse than useless. My two favourite problems with it are when it refuses to accept a road is closed - usually due to an accident or similar and routes you through the middle of the closure whilst proudly telling you the traffic is super free flowing in the closed road - and where it handles timed closures badly.

Had this the other day - dual-carriageway closed due to an accident but both the built in Sat Nav and Google struggled with the closure and kept trying to route me back to the closed road every time I came to a new junction. Was a bit frustrating as I only knew the side-roads in the area very vaguely and in the end had to stop and resort to checking the map out physically.

Associate
This is very version specific. In my 2015 car with BMW Apps Interface it is a faff - I have to use a dedicated plugged in iPhone, but works ok enough. I can imagine Carplay/AA is vastly superior to this setup. But on the current generation cars now the integrated system is as good as you could ever want - I scan the QR code with my phone and instantly have complete and perfect access to Spotify. It's really very, very good indeed.

I'm comparing iDrive 7.0 on a 2019 car to CarPlay - I've signed out of the built in Spotify.

Oh and Google Maps with Android Auto gives you turn by turn directions on the HUD (you just don't get the large map overlay)

Man of Honour
I'm comparing iDrive 7.0 on a 2019 car to CarPlay - I've signed out of the built in Spotify.

What did you find lacking?

I found it so good it was almost enough to make me want a new car :D

Earlier idrive 7 cars don't have it, do you have the newer version?

Associate
What did you find lacking?

I found it so good it was almost enough to make me want a new car :D

Earlier idrive 7 cars don't have it, do you have the newer version?

My car was updated to 07.2020 at the dealership so has the latest updates for Android Auto etc.

As I said, I prefer the UI experience of Spotify on the android/carplay platform (not so much lacking functionality). The built in one feels a bit old iDrive to me -

IMG-20201119-141053.jpg

IMG-20201119-141255.jpg

IMG-20201119-141122.jpg

IMG-20201119-141310.jpg

Plus I like to have Google Assistant so I can turn the heating on etc at home :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
This is my problem, they're too common. I wanted Tanzanite Blue ideally but this one came up in a great spec so took the plunge.
Yep, that's another colour that looks great. I remember seeing it for the first time, in the BMW showroom on an M4 when we were collecting my dads 3 series. Subtle and stealthy, but under good light that blue pops nicely. :cool:

Soldato
Ugly, FWD and 4 cylinders

Not really BMWs anymore imo

People will still buy them no matter how annoying their social media team is. Because BMW (and PCP lols)

Caporegime
OP
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, they put out this complete atrocity of an advert. I couldn't watch the whole thing, such is the level of pure cringeworthiness.

What the **** are they playing at...

Soldato
I'd rather have that Bangle 760li than whatever that 'thing' is :p
Am I wrong in thinking everyone went nuts at the Bangle design too? Probably their source of confidence in the reaction to their latest design.

That, and I believe they are premium car maker of the year again! (Edit: in the US. Turns out worldwide Mercedes pipped them).

I'm definitely not a fan but they seem to be appealing to the masses still.

Soldato
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, they put out this complete atrocity of an advert. I couldn't watch the whole thing, such is the level of pure cringeworthiness.

What the **** are they playing at...

Yes its very bad. Several makers have done adverts with a human identity type angle and they are all *****. I still get brochures from BMW and some of the language they use is like they are doing a parody of themselves, a total joke and complete ********. BMW's advertising boss needs to **** off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Have BMW forgotten that they were the ones creating the 'old' cars? Is there a pre 'i' cars and post 'i' cars BMW company that is like a Chinese takeover that has the same name but is completely different?

I wonder how someone who paid 100k for a 760 feels when looking at this advert?

They have lost their tine little minds!

Back
Top Bottom