Big Tech Authoritarianism

Capodecina
Soldato
Well there's lying and there's outright denial of reality

I won the election
Covid will go away
Mexico will pay for the wall
The hurricane will hit where I made a mark on the map

This is the sort of stuff I expect north Korea or some other banana republic's leader to be coming out with not the president of the USA
Please don't forget drinking bleach and/or injecting very bright ultraviolet light under the skin to cure the non-existent Covid virus.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the female medical adviser to Trump's right squirming in her seat and clearly wishing the floor would open up beneath her during that particular piece of stupidity :D

Soldato
What do you think a moderator does? They will call out something they know to be false, they act as a fact checker but having a team of them back stage and able to speak to the moderator allows for lies to be called.

And if newspapers knowingly print lies they are liable for that. Which is precisely why they use fact checkers. Also so they don't have to print a retraction or correction at a later date.

Ah I see like dowie you are sticking to the dictionary definition. Fiona Hill begs to differ

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/01/11/capitol-riot-self-coup-trump-fiona-hill-457549

Yes, I am sticking to the English language definition, since this tends to be an important way to ensure people are talking about the same thing and have a common understanding. Otherwise I could simply make stuff up or call a man a woman and speech violence (Oh wait?). In this case, Fiona Hill obviously hasn't looked in a dictionary or studied coups in history; Iran, Argentina, Chile, Greece etc. Let's even take a look at U.S Joint Chiefs of Staff [1] who say "The violent riot [..]". I'd suggest US JCS know a fair bit about conflicts; wars, coups, etc.

[1] https://www.npr.org/sections/congre...-u-s-forces-that-they-defend-the-constitution

Caporegime
Both sides have been lying and they both need to be fact checked. It’s not about who has been doing it the most it’s the fact it’s rife in all corners in the US.

Thete are no sides, tslk like thst is a big part of the problem.

However, all politicians of significance are fact checked. The fact checkeed keep complete lists of lies by Biden, Clinton and Obama etc., but they have lied less in their entire political career than Trump lies in a single week.

The difference in scale is absolutely critical and is why you find certain politicians have a reputation for lying and have their endless lies promoted or their lies moderated.

Associate
Thete are no sides, tslk like thst is a big part of the problem.

However, all politicians of significance are fact checked. The fact checkeed keep complete lists of lies by Biden, Clinton and Obama etc., but they have lied less in their entire political career than Trump lies in a single week.

The difference in scale is absolutely critical and is why you find certain politicians have a reputation for lying and have their endless lies promoted or their lies moderated.

There are sides in Congress. Democrats and Republicans. Doesn’t matter if someone lies once or ten times. A lie is a lie.

Permabanned
What do you want me to post exactly? Every response you give just echoes back to same thing your inability to recognise Trump isn’t th only one who needed to be fact checked.

Its already been mentioned they should be fact checked if necessary however you provide no evidence of lies, where there is plenty for Trump.

Post up the conspiracy theory lies from the other side, we have had hundreds from Trump.
Post up the lies about covid, we have had hundreds from Trump.
Post something to validate your alt-fact opinion, as there are hundreds of examples of Trumps lies.

Your argument is simply deflection and fake news to obscure the point.

Caporegime
There are sides in Congress. Democrats and Republicans. Doesn’t matter if someone lies once or ten times. A lie is a lie.

no,they are not sides. They are all working for the ssme goal, and working for the American people.

And you are completely wrong, the frequency of lying is critical. Lying once every few years does minimal hrm to democracy, continuously lying every time you open your mouth destroys democracy and is very harmful to society

Soldato
Please don't forget drinking bleach and/or injecting very bright ultraviolet light under the skin to cure the non-existent Covid virus.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the female medical adviser to Trump's right squirming in her seat and clearly wishing the floor would open up beneath her during that particular piece of stupidity :D
How ironic that you post this while a discussion is going on about fact checking and lying.

Soldato
Yes, I am sticking to the English language definition, since this tends to be an important way to ensure people are talking about the same thing and have a common understanding. Otherwise I could simply make stuff up or call a man a woman and speech violence (Oh wait?). In this case, Fiona Hill obviously hasn't looked in a dictionary or studied coups in history; Iran, Argentina, Chile, Greece etc. Let's even take a look at U.S Joint Chiefs of Staff [1] who say "The violent riot [..]". I'd suggest US JCS know a fair bit about conflicts; wars, coups, etc.

[1] https://www.npr.org/sections/congre...-u-s-forces-that-they-defend-the-constitution

Brilliant. I love it when someone on a forum thinks they know more than an expert on authoritarian regimes who has a PHD in history from Harvard and that worked for years on the National Security Council. Just because the JCS didn't use the word, doesn't mean anything. In fact if they had used it that would have been wading into politics in a huge way and it would have just raised tensions further. The fact they even had to make that statement is unprecedented. That statement was clearly aimed at the troops, reminding them their duty is to the Constitution, not Trump and his presidency is coming to an end in a few days. They were clearly concerned.

Soldato
I'll chip in and give a couple of examples from my own clippings about support or calls for violence [1][2].

On another note, I think something which highlights the bizarre situation is how the US president is now banned from Twitter yet the Chinese Embassy is busy tweeting about how awesome it's ethnic cleansing/extermination of Uighurs is [3]. There is a very, very serious problem here.

[1] https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1268415955937513473
[2] Antifa group: https://twitter.com/PNWYLF
[3] https://twitter.com/ChineseEmbinUS/status/1347224755485749249

Commissario
Re Parlour being kicked off AWS by Amazon, it looks from Amazon's court filings in response to the court case against them that they'd been trying to get Parlour to take steps to comply with it's hosting agreement for at least two months, and that hosting agreement has the standard sort of clause about staying within the law, and not allowing things like death threats...

Now Amazon could be lying in the court documents, but I doubt it as Amazon unlike Trump and various Trump affiliates seems to try and employ competent lawyers who didn't get their degrees free with 5 beers at hooters, so assuming there is any truth, then they've given parlour plenty of time to take steps to either comply with the legal contract they signed up for, or to start moving to different hosting, as opposed to it being some spur of the moment thing.

Soldato
Re Parlour being kicked off AWS by Amazon, it looks from Amazon's court filings in response to the court case against them that they'd been trying to get Parlour to take steps to comply with it's hosting agreement for at least two months, and that hosting agreement has the standard sort of clause about staying within the law, and not allowing things like death threats...

Now Amazon could be lying in the court documents, but I doubt it as Amazon unlike Trump and various Trump affiliates seems to try and employ competent lawyers who didn't get their degrees free with 5 beers at hooters, so assuming there is any truth, then they've given parlour plenty of time to take steps to either comply with the legal contract they signed up for, or to start moving to different hosting, as opposed to it being some spur of the moment thing.
Hasn't Ray Parlour suffered enough already?

Caporegime
Soldato
Brilliant. I love it when someone on a forum thinks they know more than an expert on authoritarian regimes who has a PHD in history from Harvard and that worked for years on the National Security Council. Just because the JCS didn't use the word, doesn't mean anything. In fact if they had used it that would have been wading into politics in a huge way and it would have just raised tensions further. The fact they even had to make that statement is unprecedented. That statement was clearly aimed at the troops, reminding them their duty is to the Constitution, not Trump and his presidency is coming to an end in a few days. They were clearly concerned.

I'm suggesting that she is purposefully using that inaccurate and inflammatory term to further her own agenda, exactly because she does know what a real coup actually looks like. Stop trying to wriggle out of reasoning, it's amazing that you are suggesting and indeed supporting the idea that this rabble has actually tried to stage a bona fide coup. I'm fact checking you ;)

Back
Top Bottom