• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6 Meter HDMI 2.1 cable Do they exist ?

Associate
Hi All,

Does anyone know if you can get an HDMI cable that does 4k 120hz 444 with hdr which is 6 meters long ?

It seems this is a grey area of weather these cables exist and weather the optical versions of hdmi is something to be avoided?.

If anyone has found one that works from Ampere GPU to hdmi 2.1 oledTV,, please let me know.

Any help appriciated!

Larzy

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, yes it seems 5M is the limit, unless you go optical hdmi 2.1 ?
I wonder if anyone has tried optical hdmi 2.1 from GPU to TV ?

Seems like its my only option short of moving the whole hifi rack.

Soldato
you can get a 50 foot HDMI 2.1 cable but its 200 Dollars tag me if you interested guy on youtube checked it out & it just works believe its firbe vs hdmi for most of the signal

or search frame chasers hdmi 2.1

Associate
OP
Thanks all!
I bought a 5 meter copper cable as suggested, it showed the bios screen, but back into windows it was no input msg...
So it can't handle 4k 120hz 10 bit and HDR like the 3m cable could. Even though it is ultra hdmi 2.1 certified ? should I return it ?

The 5 meter is also deffo not long enpough for my run!, I need that 6th meter god dammit, and that 6th meter appears to be v costly.
Can anyone tell me if an optical varient of hdmi 2.1 is viable at 6m running 4k 120 hz hdr 10 bit?

P.S Thats agood suggestion Doug_1986 as my TV has a few ethernet ports on the wall right next to TV, but it needs to be minimun latency so I guess this would then depend on having a good quality switch ? I would imagine this would add latency so want to just go straight HDMI, but 3 meters is maxium for hdmi 2.1? it can't be so!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Seems like fiber cables are the future for cable tech, as they won't be vulnerable to RF and EMI interference and go greater distances.

And thus, unbeknownst to me...the Smart Cable was born!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just an update, I bought the 5 meter copper one one as recommended from amazon, but this wouldn't do 4k 120hz at all.
So Avoid that one if you need 4k 120hz and need to do a longer cable run.
So I have ordered a 20 foot/6 meter Gen3 cable from Ruipro from the US, I'll let you know if this works.

Man of Honour
I've found this can be as much about the hardware and the "synergy" between different devices as it is cable quality/performance.

I've a laptop that flat out refuses to do high res/refresh beyond 1.8m while another similar laptop happily does 3m to many devices and 5m to a select number without much care for cable quality and my Philips Momentum will happily take 4K/60Hz up a piece of string.

Associate
I've found this can be as much about the hardware and the "synergy" between different devices as it is cable quality/performance.

I've a laptop that flat out refuses to do high res/refresh beyond 1.8m while another similar laptop happily does 3m to many devices and 5m to a select number without much care for cable quality and my Philips Momentum will happily take 4K/60Hz up a piece of string.
:):):)
Piece of string class!!

Associate
Aren't HDMI 2.1 cables the same as 2.0 cables? I thought it was just a chipset change.

So a high quality 2.0 cable should do the job - Amazon's own ones are seriously good :)

If you want to run > 4k 60htz you need a cable thats rated for 48GBPS

the 2.0 cables are rated for 18GBPS will cover up to 4k 60 (just).

Soldato
I have a 5m one that works well...

Search for "HDMI v2.1 Ultra High Speed HDR 8K/4K 60Hz 48Gbps eARC Cable 5m COPPER"

£10.78

jesus don't buy that - you will regret it. if it's passive copper, you should only look at up to 3m length

just look at the amazon reviews...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom