Neck exercises for headset?

Soldato
My 363g Astro A50 headset has been causing me discomfort in my neck if I wear it for too long. What with self-isolation then lockdown that's been extended times, like most of the day for some weeks. Obviously I've stopped using it for now - I'm just using the monitor speakers which are poor by comparison. So what exercises can I do to strengthen my neck muscles to prevent a recurrence?

I live in a flat so switching to proper speakers is not an option. And going forward I will be limiting my headset time.

Soldato
Ha, funny you mention this. I recalled following '8 minute abs' on YouTube about 15 years ago, and if you read the comments, many talk about how their neck felt like it had been jumped on afterwards. I'd argue this indicates it has a positive impact in strengthening your neck. And it's a good overall exercise regime which is super quick and achievable for most of us.

Caporegime
Wtf :confused:

What are you made of OP?

I've had that headset for years now, I used to do 10 hour stints on night shifts at one point with a few 10 mins breaks, never had a problem.

Then again I used to play a lot of rugby so my neck probably gained some strength from that, as well as wearing a motorcycle helmet for hours on end.

Soldato
C0321-A45-B350-4-A57-90-E5-1-D2-FE05-CD4-F6.jpg

Soldato
OP
I've had that headset for years now, I used to do 10 hour stints on night shifts at one point with a few 10 mins breaks, never had a problem.

I may have slept in the wrong position and the headset exacerbated the problem. I've had the A50 some years and never had a problem up to now.

Associate
isnt this a bit like asking whats the best thing to do to get good at press ups:p
just wear it.
tbh if thats causing issues you have way bigger issues coming, sort you health out mate or you wont be in a good place in the future

Soldato
I had awful neck pain through December. I don't know what caused it because I've been WFH since March and had the same chair since June. But I can tell you what made it start getting better: break up the sessions at the desk. I literally don't go outside, don't exercise, don't walk anywhere. I started doing about 5 minutes of light dumbbells standing at my desk, in the middle of the day, and some squats. Just the bare minimum of movement that isn't desk > stairs > kettle.

My speculation is that it's cumulative so it took about 9 months of bad habits before symptoms appeared, but then it was unbearable. No amount of stretching or changing position made the pain go away in the moment.

If you get reasonable exercise then disregard the above, do more headbanging exercises to heavy metal :D

Caporegime
I may have slept in the wrong position and the headset exacerbated the problem. I've had the A50 some years and never had a problem up to now.

I'd say that's far more likely to be the cause, but obviously I'm not a doctor. Have more breaks, walk around a bit and see how you get on. I'd be rather surprised if it's the headset tbh.

Associate
I've got the Roccat ELO 7.1 Air headset, they are apparently 345g, light as a feather.
I fear lockdown has given you muscle atrophy, or i just have a fat head.

Slam on some heavy rock and do a few headbanging sessions....now that will give you neck ache.:D

You could try some neck rings to give support?
58772dcffed1c1a2661ef3272e1c71c1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom