5800x Running Hot?

Associate
Hey folks so got my 5800x build up and running under a Wraith Prism RGB and it's running hot/Loud all of the time like 60-70c while browsing the Web and averaged 79c while playing Cold War with a high of 85c I know the 5800x Runs hotter due to the Single CCX do u think it will be fine or should I get a better cooler or should I manually set the Voltage in the Bios as it's at 1.45v.

Only used for Gaming/Multitasking No content/Editing so would like to keep the single core boost.

Man of Honour
Get a better cooler or tweak the settings its your call, could try running the cpu in eco mode but may loose some performance.

What the max cooler height for your caee ?

Associate
I didn’t see more than 72c on R23 multi-core with a 280mm AIO so there’s definitely room for improvement. Any decent aftermarket cooler should net a decent cooling improvement.

Soldato
5800x isnt shipped with a wraith cooler I think that is for a reason. I dont think it is intended you use one those coolers really are the bare minimum in my opinion.

Get a decent air cooler or AIO, no amount of CPU cooling is overkill in my opinion, particularly on a 5xxx AMD CPU they all run toasty. Also the thermal fluctuation will be the killer in the long run, the more you can do to limit that the better.

I got a NZXT Kraken X73 360mm AIO, which I honestly thought would be rediculous overkill, that was purchase a month or so before they released Zen 3, turns out, it really wasn't overkill......

Soldato
The prism is fine if your prepared to play with the settings, the issue with the 5800X is at stock it pulls the same power as a 5950X which has double the cores, clearly it don't need to use this much power so lowering the PPT TDC and EDC while undervolting with curve optimiser fixes that.

I managed to get max temps down to 62.5c while matching stock performance in cinebench R20 using the wraith prism.

Screenshot-62.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not to hijack the thread but what's a great 360mm AIO cooler for the 5800x. I'm waiting for a 5800x from ocuk (hurry up guy's, Im itchy!).
Best value for money is probably the arctic which has a thicker rad but the aphacool are good. The higher price alphacool has quieter fans check out specs of all.

E My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £320.39 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
Best value for money is probably the arctic which has a thicker rad but the aphacool are good. The higher price alphacool has quieter fans check out specs of all.

E My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £320.39 (includes shipping: £10.50)
That's all I needed. I already had the arctic in my Basket! Cheers bud

Back
Top Bottom