Sim Rig PC - The never ending upgrade

Associate
This started back in May of last year when my ageing 4690k was failing to keep up with the demands on VR on sim racing.

It was a bit early to be upgrading with Zen 3 coming up, but I wanted to at least improve performance a bit. I decided on the 3600, an x570 board and some new ram with the intention of going Zen3 when it was released.

I hoped my trusty 1080 would keep me going for a while.

Untitled by mikehhhhhhh, on Flickr

Along the way I decided to upgrade the Rift S with an Index and we were back to fairly poor performance again, even in unchallenging titles like iRacing. It was usable, but frame drops from 80Hz were becoming frustrating.

This kind of put me off sim racing for a while, until the opporunity came up to go triple screen - a couple of matching PG279Qs to match my existing one. This set the need to ugprade off again, as there was no way my 1080 was going to let me play newer titles at 3 x 1440p.

The 5800x had dropped in price a little, so I picked one up along with a new AIO as I wasn't sure the OEM cooler from the 3600 would be man enough.

This clearly go my brain ticking, as I started looking around for graphics cards. I really wanted a 3080, but we all know how likely that is any time soon. I found myself starting to get tempted by scalpers at which point, I realised it wasnt a huge jump to a 3090, which wasn't nearly as difficult to find.

3090 by mikehhhhhhh, on Flickr

I'd also need a PSU as my 600w card wouldn't have been man enough for the 1080.

And all done!

I'll post some more about the simrig once the extra monitors are here

Associate
OP
Thank you for the kind comments!

Well it's finally all togther, I think I can stop tinkering and just play for a long old while now.

The final spec...

PC;
Ryzen 5800x
32gb Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RAM
Nvidia 3090 Founders Edition
Corsair H100i Platinum AIO
Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 Mobo
Corsair RM850 PSU
Fractal Define C Case
Samsung C34 100Hz 1440p Ultrawide

Simrig;
Simlab P1X Chassis
Fanatec DD1 Wheel Base
Fanatec Podium R300 wheel with Porsche Endurance Button Box
Fanatec Shifter
Heusinkveld Sprint Pedals
3x Asus PG297Q 1440p 165Hz Monitors

Associate
OP
I was getting a little concerned by the amount of heat coming out of the 3090 and staying around the case. You could feel and smell the heat!

I figured I could add a couple of extra fans to my existing case, but something with a bit more room would be better and a good excuse to find something a bit prettier.

Instantly found nearly 400 points on Timespy GPU score and GPU temp never goes above 69-70c while running the benchmark.

That's with 2x bottom, 3x side and 2x AIO fans all configured as intake.

Next step is to try configuring the AIO as an exhaust to reduce the amount of heat being introduced into the case, as I think the CPU probably has more headroom than the GPU.

Associate
Wow that 3090 is a beast it looks the size of a house brick ha ha !

Looks like it only just fits in the old case !

nice looking setup, new case is a nice improvement too great work !

the bezel free kit is new to me as well never seen one great idea

oh they are lenses that change the light going through them ! thats cool I assumed they were little screens or something

very clever

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Since getting the O11D, the fact that I couldn't get USB-C to work was bugging me - I connect to the usb hub on my monitor via usb-c as well as pretty much all my accessories.

I also disliked having a PCI-e wifi card as it looks terrible, blocks airflow to the graphics card and would prevent me going vertical mount for the GPU if I ever fancied it.

I opted to resolve those concerns with an MSI Tomahawk X570 board which seems to be a bit of an upgrade over my Asrock.

What started as a simple CPU upgrade has ended up as a complete PC replacement - the only thing remaining from before are my SSDs and even my main boot drive is being replaced as while I'm able to boot to it, being pre-nvme pci-e m.2 it doesn't show up in the bios for some reason and there's a decent jump in performance to be had there anyway.

The new motherboard gave me some slightly better cable management opportunities, too :)

Just need to sort a few more fans now.

Soldato
I added an Asus Bezel Free Kit and it's so cool.

Works flawlessly in ACC where you can set negative bezel compensation. Annoyingly, you cannot on Nvidia Surround.

That looks fantastic mate! Need to check out these bezel covers for myself. Been playing some AC recently but only on a 34" curved ultrawide, tempted to get another 27" curved monitor so i can go full surround.

Associate
OP
Another little upgrade in this never ending upgrade :D

When I ordered new RAM, I only did so because I wanted to jump to 32GB for development work, so just picked a reasonably priced 2x16gb kit.

I've since learnt that 4 sticks may perform better on Zen 3 and also about the ability to potentially run 2000 IF. So I grabbed some 4000Mhz RGB tat. 4000/2000 wasn't quite stable, so I've backed it off to 3800/1900 with the timings tightened up to CL16.

That netted nearly 1000 points on Timespy CPU score!

Soldato
Funny, most seem to struggle with a lot of WHEA errors at 1900 on anything prior to 1.2.0.0 - good it's working for you though!

Yeah sounds like 1.2.0.0 brings some big improvements so you may want to try again at 2000/4000 when that drops for you.

Associate
OP
Funny, most seem to struggle with a lot of WHEA errors at 1900 on anything prior to 1.2.0.0 - good it's working for you though!

Yeah sounds like 1.2.0.0 brings some big improvements so you may want to try again at 2000/4000 when that drops for you.

Interesting, I've not really put it through it's paces. I had a quick look in Event Viewer after the benchmarks and didn't see anything, but, I've spent most of the day in Linux since doing it.

Associate
OP

Decided to check stability today.

My tighter timings were creating occasional errors in memtest. I had to losen them up to CL18 but I don't have any WHEA errors at 3800/1900, even after all sorts of benchmark runs.

Back
Top Bottom