Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I liked Cineworld when it first dropped to ~25p, but didn't buy as it jumped and missed my buy point and then i left it. Hindsight and all that but i'd be sat on a great profit. I think now at current levels of 75p it's still a reasonable bet, but if i'm gambling on a company making gains after the rona i'm going airlines rather than CINE.

Cinema chains are a gamble but have huge potential to turn things around after the pandemic. GF has been furloughed and she's really looking forward to a time when we can head out for a drink/dinner/cinema etc. What we really need to see is some huge blockbusters from Hollywood to actually get bums on seats. If they churn out really boring average movies when the pandemic ends. The Cinemas will hurt even more.

Associate
Greed is going to rob quite a few people from a serious amount of money they could've made, but chose not to take because they wanted MORE. In some cases it is going to leave people in serious debt. As always the people with market nous will have already exited at ~450.

Agreed. People say that the hedge funds were (still are?) greedy, but that's the same story for retail investors too.

Caporegime
Here we go...

b3yix7.PNG

Man of Honour
Cinema chains are a gamble but have huge potential to turn things around after the pandemic. GF has been furloughed and she's really looking forward to a time when we can head out for a drink/dinner/cinema etc. What we really need to see is some huge blockbusters from Hollywood to actually get bums on seats. If they churn out really boring average movies when the pandemic ends. The Cinemas will hurt even more.
I agree there will be a big boom in some sectors when the lockdown is over. Those that still have a job will want to go out, party, let their hair down. The problem with cinemas is that they need films to come through the pipeline and I assume that a lot of films are on hold right now. People have also got used to watching films at home on streaming services. So I think cinemas might be a longer play and take a while to bounce back. But they might get creative and create more of a party atmosphere while showing older blockbusters again. For the right price it would be worth a risk.

Soldato
I agree there will be a big boom in some sectors when the lockdown is over. Those that still have a job will want to go out, party, let their hair down. The problem with cinemas is that they need films to come through the pipeline and I assume that a lot of films are on hold right now. People have also got used to watching films at home on streaming services. So I think cinemas might be a longer play and take a while to bounce back. But they might get creative and create more of a party atmosphere while showing older blockbusters again. For the right price it would be worth a risk.

Tenet for example, glad I was able to watch this at home on a 65 inch 4k Sony TV. UHD copy with subtitles on, so I could understand what the hell the actors were saying. Typical Nolan though. Those that saw it in the Cinema struggled with the dialogue due to the sound mixing. No fault of the Cinemas.

Caporegime
Going in on cine.

Written here as evidence to chat about later if it was inspired or disaster.
:D

Reason.

I think with the UK vaccine rollout things might open up internally before in Europe (ie airlines will lag)

But as soon as there's whispers of it it'll jump. Even if its short lived.

Soldato
Going in on cine.

Written here as evidence to chat about later if it was inspired or disaster.
:D

Reason.

I think with the UK vaccine rollout things might open up internally before in Europe (ie airlines will lag)

But as soon as there's whispers of it it'll jump. Even if its short lived.

I had similar plans with Hyve, i figured people would be starting events again and they'd jump. I brilliantly had the idea in October as things were looking like returning to normal. I'm down 20% :(

Caporegime
I had similar plans with Hyve, i figured people would be starting events again and they'd jump. I brilliantly had the idea in October as things were looking like returning to normal. I'm down 20% :(

I kind of figure at this point if things last another year ill have bigger issues. Like job loss, house price crash, economic chaos. And it won't matter as I'll have nothing left anyway! :D

Soldato
I kind of figure at this point if things last another year ill have bigger issues. Like job loss, house price crash, economic chaos. And it won't matter as I'll have nothing left anyway! :D

True, i'm forcing myself to hold around 30% of my ISA as cash at the moment in the event of a crash. I keep seeing things which tempt me and then give myself a slap.

Caporegime
True, i'm forcing myself to hold around 30% of my ISA as cash at the moment in the event of a crash. I keep seeing things which tempt me and then give myself a slap.

It's hard to hold cash.
It's stupid not to. But opportunities like covid (as horrible as it is) are rare

Soldato

I wish I had done this. I haven't got any cash free in my ISA now to invest in the dips, which would be great right now for BP and RR, and last week for EZJ and IAG. I imagine it's going to be too late come April when the ISA limit resets. Lesson learned!

Soldato
I liked Cineworld when it first dropped to ~25p, but didn't buy as it jumped and missed my buy point and then i left it. Hindsight and all that but i'd be sat on a great profit. I think now at current levels of 75p it's still a reasonable bet, but if i'm gambling on a company making gains after the rona i'm going airlines rather than CINE.
I got in at that 25p price albeit only with a £1000 investments. I cashed out at 60p a few weeks ago. I think there is some short term growth when the economies open up again but there are too many challenging fundamentals for it to be a long term hold for me. The debt in the company is substantial and with consumer habits so influenced by streaming now I think cinemas will really have to up their game to remain relevant. I think it can be done but will require more capital investment and ultimately a better customer experience. The big opportunity is if the studios decide that they don't want to supply some of their profit to the likes of Netflix and view some kind of vertical integration as desirable. Or if there are partnerships to leverage with say food and beveridge. The model has worked ok with relatively low capacity utilisation up until now but I think the market might become more price sensitive than it was before therefore limiting the ability to grow margins.

Soldato
https://news.gamestop.com/news-rele...ls/gamestop-appoints-chief-technology-officer

Mr. Francis brings more than two decades of experience in e-commerce and consumer technology to GameStop. Most recently, he was an Engineering Leader at Amazon Web Services. He previously held senior-level technology roles at companies such as QVC and Zulily. At GameStop, Mr. Francis will be responsible for overseeing e-commerce and technology functions

Looks like they're making a very sensible push towards e-commerce and all things internet related especially with this hiring

Soldato
https://news.gamestop.com/news-rele...ls/gamestop-appoints-chief-technology-officer

Looks like they're making a very sensible push towards e-commerce and all things internet related especially with this hiring

In normal times, this sort of news probably would have pushed their share price from $15 to $17. As their current share price is $90 and likely continue it's trend downwards today, as people realise they aren't heading for the moon afterall, it means very little for the share price. Still, it's good for the company though.

Caporegime
GME up 23% in premarket. This just does not want to die.

It will certainly bobble up and down with mini bounces. But overall, unless it really does turn into a weird stock that is a 'wealth store' it will over months correct to where it should be.

It will take a long while though. I expect it will be inflated for ages. And be a day traders dream.

Back
Top Bottom