What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I think it depends on AD. I got my Speedy with 10% off, brand new with big box of goodies.

Or don't suck up to them and play their game and join a friendly watch forum and buy from there below retail (two have sold on TZUK below retail in the past month)! At least unlike sports Rolex, they're not going above RRP in such markets.
Is TZ invite only? If so, would you oblige?

Soldato
I prefer chronograph for that reason, find non chronos a little plain :p

Do like the sportier ones generally. The Oris would have been perfect, but it's a little too pricey.

Completely understand, I have a Bulova chronograph which I bought a few years ago before I got my PO, I never wear it now but at the time I thought it was great....the smoothness of the second hand is so nice on those.

Times change (ba dum tiiiish) and tastes change, no doubt I'll change back again at some point.

Soldato
Thankfully it's not based on who you know (unlike the ADs referred to previously!) - you just sign up. You won't be able to access the sales section for a number of months and only after posting a certain amount, but you'll get there eventually.
Registration is simply closed then it seems!

Man of Honour
Seatbelt NATO arrived from Barton bands. Nice quality, as thick as a seatbelt (who would have thought?!) and picked this because it seemed to be the only NATO in existence with wide holes so I could swap the buckle with the modern Hamilton one.

NATO_Vintage-Bond_2021.02.02_1715-03_00006.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
If you've got the cash available and it's the watch you want then go for it. Especially since the financial advisor has approved it :p

Got the cash no problem, and along with the omega speedmaster it's a watch I've always wanted. The speedmaster is a grand more though. I dunno, maybe wait to see what bonus I get and see if any better deals come up :p

Soldato
Which one is the one you would want more is the question I would ask myself, if it is an either or question I mean.

I'd rather spend 4k on something I really want that 3k on something that isn't quite it. I know you want both, just the way my brain works where I know I'd always be wishing I just went for "the one".

Chronograph or not I'd have a speedy in a heartbeat.

Soldato
Which one is the one you would want more is the question I would ask myself, if it is an either or question I mean.

I'd rather spend 4k on something I really want that 3k on something that isn't quite it. I know you want both, just the way my brain works where I know I'd always be wishing I just went for "the one".

Chronograph or not I'd have a speedy in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But 4k is maybe a step too far. Maybe will keep an eye on the second hand market. Also want to try a few on, if we are ever allowed back in the shops anyway...

Associate
Tudor have started allowing online sales and pretty sure I started to see discounted BBs (BB58 included) in early Jan. Not sure if there are any still around, but they are definitely not like Rolex atm, but then is there any other brand you can't get pretty much automatic discounts on from ADs?

Soldato
Yeah, I know what you mean. But 4k is maybe a step too far. Maybe will keep an eye on the second hand market. Also want to try a few on, if we are ever allowed back in the shops anyway...
I imagine there is a sizeable discount if you call up. The fact they are offering 0% over 18 months means there must be at least £300 of "accessible" margin in that price, for them to pass onto you.

Or if you can take advantage of the 0%, do it.

Soldato
I imagine there is a sizeable discount if you call up. The fact they are offering 0% over 18 months means there must be at least £300 of "accessible" margin in that price, for them to pass onto you.

Or if you can take advantage of the 0%, do it.

I'm usually pretty good at haggling, so you never know :p

One thing I have noticed, is nearly all automatic chronographs seem to use the same 7750 movement. So basically the guts of the tag carrera are the same as a £700 tissot? Makes no sense to me. Are you paying the extra money for the brand and slightly higher quality case / bracelet?

Soldato
A bit like Masterati/Ferrari.

A lot of the movements are graded as well. I know the ETA ones used to be, so you'd expect "better" versions of the movement to go into the higher end watches.

But yeah, a lot of the time it is brand name and 'grail' status. The Tag Carrera is a fairly run of the mill nice watch but they pop up every now and then at Bicester village Tag outlet, for example...

Soldato
A bit like Masterati/Ferrari.

A lot of the movements are graded as well. I know the ETA ones used to be, so you'd expect "better" versions of the movement to go into the higher end watches.

But yeah, a lot of the time it is brand name and 'grail' status. The Tag Carrera is a fairly run of the mill nice watch but they pop up every now and then at Bicester village Tag outlet, for example...

Thanks for the info, it seems there was a lot I didn't know about watches. Pretty glad I didn't just order the first thing I liked the look of :p

Going to take my time and make sure I get something I really want.

Soldato
Ha I got mine in 6 days.

It's a bit like Rolex, you have to simply get along with the AD :)

I ordered another grail which turns up tomorrow, here's hoping it fits!
L4IqvRHl.jpg

Ever since I read about this watch I wanted one.

It's solar, no need to change batteries, worry about winding, it syncs with atomic clock every day and it hits every second marker absolutely perfect.

Fully titanium, so it's light but tough, absolutely love it!

Back
Top Bottom