• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD DLSS Equivilent in Spring.

Caporegime
FidelityFX Super Resolution, using DirectML.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-f...eon-boost-coming-in-spring-adrenaline-update/

Ever since the RDNA based graphics cards were launched, AMD has been working on the software side of its GPU Eco-system. The Radeon Software Adrenaline 2020 Edition was one of the largest revamps of the control panel in years. Radeon Boost which is essentially a driver-centric implementation of Variable Rate Shading was one of the key features of that updates. Other notable features were Radeon Chill, Enhanced Sync, Anti-Lag, and Integer Scaling, all in one window.

It looks like Team Red is working on another major update to Radeon software, slated to land this spring. One of the primary additions will be the inclusion of the DLSS-alternative otherwise known as FidelityFX Super Resolution which will leverage the DirectML API to upscale the image with a minimal loss in quality. Unlike NVIDIA’s implementation, this is a software-based technique that only requires the presence of Microsoft’s DirectML API to work.

Soldato
Finally we may have something that will help improve the RT performance is games. If it works with all games then it is a game changer since it will allow those with weaker gpu's to improve performance significantly. I hope it works with all gpu's but I suspect they may limit it to just RDNA2 only.

Soldato
Finally we may have something that will help improve the RT performance is games. If it works with all games then it is a game changer since it will allow those with weaker gpu's to improve performance significantly. I hope it works with all gpu's but I suspect they may limit it to just RDNA2 only.

Seems like it would work with all games that are on DX12U, anything earlier than that or on Vulcan wouldn't work.... I would assume Vulcan will likely add something similar at some point but anything Vulcan, DX11 or earlier versions of DX12 based won't have access to the DirectML API required.

I don't think it will be tied to any specific GPU hardware from my understanding either although perhaps some will be better at it than others.

Associate

Do the RDNA2 cards have ML cores?

Edit: Apparently it has been tested on a Radeon VII and since it seems AMD don’t have ML cores, it’ll just run over their processing cores.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Here's hoping it doesn't have the same problems as dlss in motion..... My only complaint with dlss.

It will be interesting to see the performance differences though and if nvidia will be able to utilise their tensor cores with this, if not, I'm expecting DLSS to lead by a decent bit as still think you need the hardware in place to really utilise this kind of thing (at least when looking at anything else out there where AI/image enhancing processing is done).

I am fully expecting this to be in A LOT more games than DLSS going forward though.

EDIT:

I'll be surprised if they limit it to just RDNA 2 cards as didn't nvidia also help with this? That and nvidia users can also currently use the current form of fidelityfx in games.

Associate
Better than native! :D

I'll be surprised if they limit it to just RDNA 2 cards as didn't nvidia also help with this? That and nvidia users can also currently use the current form of fidelityfx in games.
Nvidia is most likely DirectML compatible and will abandon DLSS once the game devs will start to include DirectML instructions inside their games. The tensor cores will run DirectML instructions as fast as they are running the DLSS code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Nvidia is most likely DirectML compatible and will abandon DLSS once the game devs will start to include DirectML instructions inside their games. The tensor cores will run DirectML instructions as fast as they are running the DLSS code.

Apparently Nvidia have been involved in developing DirectML, which makes sense as they’re major players in the ML and AI space.

Will have to see how the DirectML model performance compares to DLSS - as of 2.0 they don’t need to train the model for each game, which makes the implementation easier and probably similar to how DirectML will function.

Associate
Apparently Nvidia have been involved in developing DirectML, which makes sense as they’re major players in the ML and AI space.

Will have to see how the DirectML model performance compares to DLSS - as of 2.0 they don’t need to train the model for each game, which makes the implementation easier and probably similar to how DirectML will function.
It is not easier because the training is not the biggest issue here, heck there are even independent small developers that released some games with upscalled graphics.
The biggest issue for Nvidia is that they need to put their own code inside every game and that costs human resources and a lot of money. DirectML is a standard that will be added in games and then Nvidia can get the same milk for free.

Caporegime
Hmmm I hope it's true but it seems a little vague for my liking, he could have pulled that all together from rumours and other bits and bobs floating around.

Doesn't seem to be the kind of site where AMD would choose to leak information about it!

Associate
It is not easier because the training is not the biggest issue here, heck there are even independent small developers that released some games with upscalled graphics.
The biggest issue for Nvidia is that they need to put their own code inside every game and that costs human resources and a lot of money. DirectML is a standard that will be added in games and then Nvidia can get the same milk for free.

I mean it is easier because the training was a time consuming task but I get what you mean. For both DLSS and DirectML, the developers would need to implement it into their engine (I assume DirectML will be easier in this regard), and if DirectML is any good, I can't see why they'd add DLSS unless it's a sponsored title. Hopefully DirectML isn't garbage because this is worthwhile tech.

Hmmm I hope it's true but it seems a little vague for my liking, he could have pulled that all together from rumours and other bits and bobs floating around.

Doesn't seem to be the kind of site where AMD would choose to leak information about it!

It's not AMD tech, it's Microsoft and part of DirectX. Nvidia, AMD and Intel cards should all be able to use it, although Nvidia will likely perform better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Do the RDNA2 cards have ML cores?

Edit: Apparently it has been tested on a Radeon VII and since it seems AMD don’t have ML cores, it’ll just run over their processing cores.

From the article what this means for the end result we will after wait and see.

The enhanced version of Radeon Boost improves the image-quality in static scenes by leveraging the new RB+ engine and utilizing VRS to distinguish between the parts of the frame which are stationary and excluding them from the algorithm.

Associate
Radeon boost is something different it only does downscalling and not upscaling.
DirectML is a set of standardized instructions that in theory should do the same thing DLSS does. Even more since you can also do denoising with DirectML. It is like DirectDraw or Direct Sound, (or DXR). On Nvidia dedicated hardware it will do exactly the same maths it does with DLSS, nothing will change, it will just use a different code.
The biggest problem for Nvidia is that once such a thing becomes a standard, the others can start to compete, there are already rumors that AMD will add dedicated hardware in their next generation of video cards. But for this generation, Nvidia will have an advantage anyway and before we will see too many games with DirectML code implemented, the next generation of cards will come.
But it is good news for Radeon 6000 owners especially if they plan to keep their cards for several years, and great news for X box console owners: 4k - 60 FPS could become a reality very soon in every game launched on Xbox.

Soldato
Now that the conversation on AI upscaling is finished. Can these companies get back to investing money on improve IQ rather than downgrading it.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
It's not AMD tech, it's Microsoft and part of DirectX. Nvidia, AMD and Intel cards should all be able to use it, although Nvidia will likely perform better.

It will be interesting to see if DirectX 12 Ultimate performs better on Nvidia or AMD. AMD are certainly hopeful that they might get the edge in ray tracing. "The Infinity Cache also improves the ray-tracing performance by storing the bandwidth-intensive BVH structures that tend to choke the limited cache bandwidth of most GPUs."

Even Nvidia can be seen to be pushing DirectX 12 Ultimate rather than just dlss, they state, "DirectX 12 Ultimate gives developers a large, multi-platform install base of hardware to target and ready-made tools and examples to work from -- all backed by time-saving middleware. This makes game development faster and easier, and enables more developers to add these innovative technologies to their games. Many developers have already crafted next-gen experiences featuring these technologies--there are over 30 DirectX Ray Tracing games shipping or announced--and now with the launch of DirectX 12 Ultimate, adoption of them is set to increase rapidly."

Microsoft Announces DirectX 12 Ultimate: A New Standard for Next-Gen Games, Supported by GeForce RTX (nvidia.com)

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know, I think I feel a little bit offended by the idea of DLSS or whatever the equivalent will be, being celebrated so much. I know the rationale for it is completely sound but there isn't a lot of rational thought in the pursuit of this hobby for me; it's driven by a desire just to have the best and to hell with trying to justify the time and cost investment. Perhaps it's because it's still a compromise even it is practically undetectable, which seems to go against the grain of chasing the highest end computing and gaming experiences where no compromises is a goal.

Back
Top Bottom