CPU Temp, good or bad?

Associate
Hey Guys, I need some help.

Yesterday, my PC turned off and wouldn't seem to turn back on, I noticed that the CPU light on the motherboard was on, so I reseated the CPU and stock Intel cooling fan which seemed to resolve the issue.

Today I decided to Benchmark test and Stress test my CPU and noticed the temps reached around 90 degrees, I understand carrying out these tests will increase the heat of the CPU, but is this normal? When my PC is idle its around 30, when gaming it can range from around 60-80. I am curious if the reason the PC shut down was due to overheating?

Would you also suggest any specific coolers for this chip that may help in regard to my anxiety with this? I feel myself constantly checking the temps and holding my hand over the two fans of my case.

I have no overclocking.

I am currently running

Intel Core i5 10400F (Stock Intel CPU cooler)
16GB DDR4 RAM
Gefore GTX 1060 6GB
500W Power Supply

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Those temps aren't terrible, the stress test temp of 90 might be a bit high but it depends on what stress test you did? Those gaming and idle temps are what I get roughly (i7 7700k oc'd to 4.7GHz at 1.235v). See if it was a one off your pc turning off and refusing to power on. I can't help with coolers sorry.

Associate
OP
I just ran a stress test via CPU-Z I believe it actually reached 94 max throughout that stress test.

I seem to have massive temp anxiety, for example, running at Battlefront 2 my temps reach 80, I believe a better CPU cooler may sort this out? Unless anyone else has any other ideas.

Associate
OP
If I'm honest, I have no idea the PC was pre-built from CCL but I've now started to change the parts such as the CPU and motherboard and ram recently, to be honest I'm not sure what the prices are like, I want preferably around 50-100 mark and low profile if these are a thing.

Soldato
I just ran a stress test via CPU-Z I believe it actually reached 94 max throughout that stress test.

I seem to have massive temp anxiety, for example, running at Battlefront 2 my temps reach 80, I believe a better CPU cooler may sort this out? Unless anyone else has any other ideas.
Those temps are high due to stock Intel cooler and (probably) auto voltages set in bios which can usually be lowered quite a bit.
This should lower temps https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-rock-3-high-performance-cpu-cooler-hs-01h-bq.html

Soldato
Par for the course with a stock cooler, if you want better temps then even dropping £30 on a cheap aftermarket cooler will give you a 20c drop.

Associate
OP
Those temps are high due to stock Intel cooler and (probably) auto voltages set in bios which can usually be lowered quite a bit.
This should lower temps https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-rock-3-high-performance-cpu-cooler-hs-01h-bq.html

Thanks, just watched a video on this, it's a little big personally. I found this one instead: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-rock-lp-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-011-bq.html

I'm guessing this would be just as suitable?

Man of Honour
If I'm honest, I have no idea the PC was pre-built from CCL but I've now started to change the parts such as the CPU and motherboard and ram recently, to be honest I'm not sure what the prices are like, I want preferably around 50-100 mark and low profile if these are a thing.
Its not wise to recommend a cooler without noing a case but if you want low profile then the RAIJINTEK PALLAS 120 .

Post a pick of the case we mite be able to identify, altenativly measure ftom the cpu to the side panel.

Associate
OP
rWJOnvu

https://imgur.com/a/rWJOnvu

Here you go, I believe its a NZXT case? If I spelt that correctly.

Permabanned
All of the suggested coolers are good. Personally I wouldn't go for a low profile unless you have a good reason.

Associate
OP
I'm going to use the Shadow rock 3 due to its reviews instead of a Low profile one. My case seems like it will hold a cooler of this sized.

Payday next week so ill order this and see how I get on. Thank you all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom