Commodore Amiga owners thread!

Soldato
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/191164515364810/

Is this a good deal? I am not familiar with Amigas at all. Feels like a good deal after seeing what others have paid.

For those without facebook

Two vintage Amiga 500 computers with power supplies, 1 monitor, 1 external disc drive, 1joystick, 1 mouse and a printer. Both computers start up but both are asking for discs (see 2nd pic) which I don't have. I think the built-in disc drives may be faulty as they sound as if they are reading the disc but then show an error message saying unreadable (games discs). The external disc drive has no leads so cannot try that. The printer also has no leads so not sure if it works or not. There is a box for the monitor and one for a keyboard. Included is a box of games (4th pic). Collect from Harwich £100 the lot

Still has OG box for at least 1 amiga and the monitor

Soldato
In a bit of a muddle of what is best to do. I have a perfectly working A500 with 1Mb Trapdoor RAM expansion, however my A1200 is a bit wonky.

I tried installing WHDLoad but failed, and now one device/drive shows DF:0 and I don't know what this means. ZOOL throws up a Guru Meditation, Brutal Football does the same, and the second disk of Top Gear 2 music loops after inserting it, left it for 10 minutes and still had a black screen.

I was considering getting a new, recapped Motherboard as mine is on 1D.4 I'm just weighing up either rebuying a fully cleaned, working, recapped system or rebuying seperate parts in hopes that a new Motherboard fixes the issues.

Associate
Hi there Superior Amiga owners!

I've dug out my A1200 that I've had since new and am working out whether to keep or sell, and if I should do anything before either.

It powers on and works as far as a quick test goes but was wondering:
  • What could go wrong...?
  • I know about re-capping, is there something I can look for to assess the need - or just do it anyway?
  • If I sell, I'd like to sell to an enthusiast. I assume anyone that wants one is, but what's the best place to ask about hardware / sell to away from eBay?
  • The original floppy drive squeeks and doesn't sound like it's doing disks any good. This might sound silly, but is it something I can oil/lube or what good (non-usb) replacements are there?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Keep it if you like Amigas and sell it if you don't.

A recap is a good idea. You could open the case up and investigate any bulging caps. You may be okay.

The floppy drive can be cleaned or replaced with a Gotek drive.

There's CF cards and a whole host of upgrades to be bought. There's many Amiga 'Meets' all over the country (pre covid).

Look for the South West meets on YouTube.

The Amiga Kit store is available for all your needs.

Associate
Keep it if you like Amigas and sell it if you don't.

A recap is a good idea. You could open the case up and investigate any bulging caps. You may be okay.

The floppy drive can be cleaned or replaced with a Gotek drive.

There's CF cards and a whole host of upgrades to be bought. There's many Amiga 'Meets' all over the country (pre covid).

Look for the South West meets on YouTube.

The Amiga Kit store is available for all your needs.

Ooo, modern upgrades. That sounds fun.

Associate
I have a nice boxed A1200 desktop dynamite in the loft & a few amiga cd32's. The 1200 I use normally has a gotek outside of the case but my A600 is modded :( I quite like my cd32 with the terrible fire in as I dont need to use the cd drive. I may need to get rid of the cd32's I have in the loft aswell as some speccies & breadbin 64's.

Associate
I had to sell me CD32 when times were tough, I brought it down from the loft but it wouldn't boot, probably just a dodgy cap or drive motor, before that I had an A600 which was great.The prices of these things have shot up hugely now though and so getting a bargain is not too easy. I still try and pick up big box Amiga games but don't have the hardware itself, just stick with emulation but keep up with the goings on.
Has anyone got any experience with the Armiga https://www.armigaproject.com/ ?

It always seems to be out of stock and maybe they are not making any more of them so it looks like eebs is the best option to try and find one. I'd like to get an A600 possibly but the only thing that puts me off is having to mess about with scan doublers, HDMI and all that malarkey to get a decent picture where it seems the Armiga is just plug and plaay. I should be at the next SW Amiga meet, it's all about the games after all :)

Soldato
I've seen some sales of Voodoo 4 PCI graphics cards and in the item description on a couple its said something like "retro, fits Amiga A1200" is it possible to upgrade the Amiga 1200 with a Voodoo 3 3dfx card?? :eek:

Soldato
I still have my Amiga 1000 with 2mb(!) RAM expansion and additional external floppy drive in the attic. I gave the monitor away years ago though, but it was faulty. (Scart connector broken, but could have been repaired, but also had a dead pixel (phosphor spot came off the tube). Still I regret getting rid as it split up the system and could have been made to work.

As the Amiga's form factor is so similar to modern PC's I find emulation is actually close enough to the experience of using one that I don't really feel the need to set mine up. I even ran WinUAE on an old netbook and it actually felt like a portable Amiga (of course these never existed in practice).

There's a rumour that the same people who made the C64 remake are working on an Amiga replica.

Back
Top Bottom