• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti died, what do you suggest?

Associate
I've had the worst week ever. Something caused a chain reaction which resulted in my 980ti burning up as well as damaging my motherboard. I just spent over 1.4k on a new entire system but the problem is now I don't have a high end gpu to complete the build.

People say just buy a pre-owned gpu but the thought of buying a second hand gpu is just very off-putting for me. I don't think I will ever feel comfortable having a gpu which most likely has been abused over the years, especially after watching my gpu burn up like that I feel like it could happen again buying a pre-owned one.

However I do have a old 750ti laying about but what the hell am I going to play with this haha.
Honestly I'm lost to know what to do right now. Sure I can try have the 980ti fixed but the thought of plugging it into my new system risking to burn the entire pc again is not a good feeling.

What are your thoughts? afaik the best time to buy a new gpu will be early 2022 but there's no way I'm waiting that long. I want a high end gpu without having to sell my home!

Associate
Half my computer is used parts. I've never bought a brand new CPU for example, it's also using a second hand power supply and ram. My previous graphics card was also used and worked brilliantly (was a 1080 gtx).

I'd buy used, and keep an eye out for newer cards when they become available. I think the 1xxx series cards are probably the best value at the minute used, 2xxx and 3xxx series cards are going for crazy amounts.

Soldato
I've had the worst week ever. Something caused a chain reaction which resulted in my 980ti burning up as well as damaging my motherboard. I just spent over 1.4k on a new entire system but the problem is now I don't have a high end gpu to complete the build.

People say just buy a pre-owned gpu but the thought of buying a second hand gpu is just very off-putting for me. I don't think I will ever feel comfortable having a gpu which most likely has been abused over the years, especially after watching my gpu burn up like that I feel like it could happen again buying a pre-owned one.

However I do have a old 750ti laying about but what the hell am I going to play with this haha.
Honestly I'm lost to know what to do right now. Sure I can try have the 980ti fixed but the thought of plugging it into my new system risking to burn the entire pc again is not a good feeling.

What are your thoughts? afaik the best time to buy a new gpu will be early 2022 but there's no way I'm waiting that long. I want a high end gpu without having to sell my home!

750ti will play @ 1080p - games on low/medium settings just depends on what resolution you use.
Dont put off buying a 2nd hand GPU even if its something like a GTX 1060 which would tide you over till things settle down in 5 years time.

To be honest if I was spending £1.4k now I would be tempted buy one of the systems with a 3060ti in it which are more common than the 3060ti on its own. In fact just seen one with a 3070 in it.

Associate
OP
What was the original cause of the motherboard and 980ti being damaged?

At the moment its a case of wait/get lucky or pay scalper prices - none of them sound attractive tbh

It's still unknown to what caused it.

My PC shutdown out of nowhere (like a powercut) and wouldn't power back on. My first thought was the PSU died which should be unlikely, it was a evga 850w. I unplugged the PSU and used the adapter to check if the fan was spinning, it did. I plugged the PSU back into the system and when I powered it on immediately the GPU was sparkling and burning. I switched everything off by the mains. This is the worst thing I have ever seen especially when the GPU is out of warranty.

Somehow randomly there has been a cut in the motherboard too. It was not where there burning on the GPU happened either. Now the PC mobo turns on but there is no display on the monitor. Whatever happened it caused one side of my motherboard to not work. The right side of the motherboard works and the left side doesn't. Any monitor I plug in has no signal. The case fan on the left side does not work. I even switched the left fan over to the right side and it worked.

What caused this problem to happen out of nowhere? I got so upset I just spent the entire week searching for a whole new system because I was too afraid if I bought a new mobo the same thing would happened because one of the parts is faulty. I am starting fresh despite putting a hole in my bank account

broken pc specs;

i7 6700k
MSI M5 Z170A
16GB
980Ti
evga 850w

Associate
OP
750ti will play @ 1080p - games on low/medium settings just depends on what resolution you use.
Dont put off buying a 2nd hand GPU even if its something like a GTX 1060 which would tide you over till things settle down in 5 years time.

To be honest if I was spending £1.4k now I would be tempted buy one of the systems with a 3060ti in it which are more common than the 3060ti on its own. In fact just seen one with a 3070 in it.

This is the problem I have. You say that but I just bought a whole new system. So in 5 years time I'll have to upgrade my cpu and mobo again lol.

Soldato
i suggest:

vasle.jpg

Associate
OP
Half my computer is used parts. I've never bought a brand new CPU for example, it's also using a second hand power supply and ram. My previous graphics card was also used and worked brilliantly (was a 1080 gtx).

I'd buy used, and keep an eye out for newer cards when they become available. I think the 1xxx series cards are probably the best value at the minute used, 2xxx and 3xxx series cards are going for crazy amounts.

maybe ill look out for a 1080ti?

Permabanned
A 1080Ti on EB can go for crazy money.

My 1080Ti and Titan Xp (1017) basically paid me back my outlay for my 3090FE.

Associate
The 2nd market is crazy ,How much is your budget for a new card ? Or wait and see what gibbo drops next card event ? Would something like a 6700XT suit you? Or are you going to grab anything just to get you by atm ?

Associate
OP
The 2nd market is crazy ,How much is your budget for a new card ? Or wait and see what gibbo drops next card event ? Would something like a 6700XT suit you? Or are you going to grab anything just to get you by atm ?

Honestly I heard things about a 3080ti. I would get that but getting my hands on one is another story. I'm not good at keeping track and buying things fast.

Associate
It's still unknown to what caused it.

My PC shutdown out of nowhere (like a powercut) and wouldn't power back on. My first thought was the PSU died which should be unlikely, it was a evga 850w. I unplugged the PSU and used the adapter to check if the fan was spinning, it did. I plugged the PSU back into the system and when I powered it on immediately the GPU was sparkling and burning. I switched everything off by the mains. This is the worst thing I have ever seen especially when the GPU is out of warranty.

Somehow randomly there has been a cut in the motherboard too. It was not where there burning on the GPU happened either. Now the PC mobo turns on but there is no display on the monitor. Whatever happened it caused one side of my motherboard to not work. The right side of the motherboard works and the left side doesn't. Any monitor I plug in has no signal. The case fan on the left side does not work. I even switched the left fan over to the right side and it worked.

What caused this problem to happen out of nowhere? I got so upset I just spent the entire week searching for a whole new system because I was too afraid if I bought a new mobo the same thing would happened because one of the parts is faulty. I am starting fresh despite putting a hole in my bank account

broken pc specs;

i7 6700k
MSI M5 Z170A
16GB
980Ti
evga 850w

Sparks coming from the GPU, I wouldn't risk it. (assuming this is correct)

When you say you got a new Computer - take it wasn't brand new? as getting a pre-build seems to be the best way to get a good graphics card at a kind of reasonable price at the moment.

Associate
OP
Sparks coming from the GPU, I wouldn't risk it. (assuming this is correct)

When you say you got a new Computer - take it wasn't brand new? as getting a pre-build seems to be the best way to get a good graphics card at a kind of reasonable price at the moment.

Well I say sparks, it's more like a component was burning just a glow and smoke.
How difficult are these things to repair? Would it even be worth paying someone to look at it for me?

Soldato
This is the problem I have. You say that but I just bought a whole new system. So in 5 years time I'll have to upgrade my cpu and mobo again lol.

Sorry I thought you had built it yourself. So you bought a new system for £1.4k but it didnt have a graphics card ? What on earth did you buy ? Like I said I just seen a system for £1359 with a 3070.

oh by the way if its burned the GPU and Motherboard as you say chuck it in the bin dont even dream of getting it repaired as a) you will get ripped off or b) its a waste of time.

Associate
OP
Sorry I thought you had built it yourself. So you bought a new system for £1.4k but it didnt have a graphics card ? What on earth did you buy ?

oh no no no. i bought the parts myself.

Case - Planteks Eclipse P500 Air ATX
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight-Core Processor/CPU, without Cooler
Motherboard - MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AMD X570 Chipset (Socket AM4) ATX Motherboard
PSU - Corsair HX Series? HX850 ? 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Platinum Certified Fully Modular
RAM - G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB CL18 (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Memory (RAM) Kit
SSD - WD SN750 1TB NVME M.2
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler

will arrive in a few days

Back
Top Bottom