Assassin's Creed - Valhalla

Soldato
Agree it's broken. There is no need for the torch like there was in Origins when you were underground. I'm using an LG CX and I've followed the HDTV guide for setting up HDR so I'm confident no issue there.
A lot of games consciously don't use 0 black which is annoying.

I heard VRR can raise black levels, have you tried disabling that if you have series x. So many games have broken HDR/ raised blacks, its like its an afterthought for a lot of developers.

Soldato
This was on ps5 but you are correct re vrr. There has just been another update though to mitigate or fix it.

Yes, I have VRR disabled currently though, see if I notice a difference, personally I can't from the few games I have played. I think vrr brings more issues than its worth with the flicker in some games and then the raised blacks.

Soldato
This is where i am, i've just got back from Norway a second time, My level is something like 280 but i need 350 to go to the last settlement place, it could get tedious!

Yep that's the level I was too. I got it up to 310 or so then tried the last mission again and managed it though it was pretty tough and my people kept getting knocked down. I just went around everywhere mopping up side quests that I hadn't done until I was levelled. I suppose if you do them all along the way you'd be more prepared for the end fight but as the game was so long I wanted to crack on with the main campaign so it could all be over.

Soldato
I get the sentiments and felt it outstayed its welcome after plowing 100 hours in to it but I've had a decent break with lots of other games since so I am looking forward to some vivid Gaelic greenery!

Soldato
Yeah I completed it story-wise but not side missions or collectibles. Was a slog trying to power up enough for the last mission.

I gave up last year some time, but might get back into it to finish the story, I got to London and done some main quests, but at that point the story fell flat for me. I think I was just burnt out as was doing a lot of side quests.

Soldato
I gave up last year some time, but might get back into it to finish the story, I got to London and done some main quests, but at that point the story fell flat for me. I think I was just burnt out as was doing a lot of side quests.

I feel i learnt from Odyssey to not aim for all the side quests as it gets boring. The good thing about Valhalla though was that the side missions were limited and you could see each one being ticked off as a "Mystery", in Oddyssey if felt endless, plus some would take ages and just be "Take this letter to this person 2000m away", whereas i liked that Valhalla didn't do that and you often had to work out what to do.

Having played 2 AC games now, i'm not sure i'd rush for the next, it feels very samey just with different characters.

Associate
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my time with it. It's just that anything over 40 hours I am struggling go keep on going. Origins had the game length perfect at 40 hours.

Got to about 90 hours or so but got abit bored of the regional story lines tbh, with the last two or three not very inspiring. Decided to stop, which I never did with Origins or Odyssey. Played Control (loved that) and now Yakuza, Like a Dragon.

I'll come back to Valhalla at some point but don't see me touching the dlc. It's definitely correct they're thinking of switching up the gameplay, I've heard they may even go linear or hub "cities" only for the next one.

All three reboots are great games, I really enjoyed them at it's core but it's ran it's course now and probably abit too much bloat in the third, not so much dots on the map (you can ignore them) but actual story length mixed with mandatory side regional quests.

Soldato
AC Valhalla looks like it will keep getting content updates until the next gen Assassins Creed is ready which is about 2 years from now

Associate
I lost any love for AC after the excellent 2. Dabbled with some of the others like Syndicate and the Egyptian one but they are so generic. Whilst the silent takedowns are still satisfying the repetitive nature of the game and the grind just feels like they are taking the pee. Never again

Associate
Pretty similar sentiment to others really with Valhalla. I think it came at a time when there wasn't much available and I wanted something new to play. But obviously the only real 'new' is the viking era. It is a fantastic looking game and the voice acting is always good but the actual core of the game is ultimately the same. With the engine and the styling models etc they could do so much more with this and make unlike any other. Although it is easy to sit here and say this I'm sure a hell of a lot of work went into this and the other titles. I really got into Odyssey as I love Greek Mythology, I think it is fantastic. I still need to finish it but I have over 200 hours in it, Just a massive game and fun to explore.

Valhalla has been taken a step further visually, I opted to play it at 30fps on my SX as the textures appear noticeably more detailed. But in all honesty I haven't really made much of a dent in it. I left Norway and once in England I did get into it a little bit more. Again more with the exploring than bothering to do any missions etc. I do think this will be my last AC game, if not my last UBISOFT game. The last great game they created in my mind was Ravenshield (PC). Totally different game obviously but they just seem to churn out the same generic stuff designed to appeal to everybody. Watch me eat my words when they knock it out of the park with a Superb Star Wars title. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom