Hot Chocolate!

Soldato
that's the question, we were both begging -
if you want to make something drinkable, do you have to add something that is neither cocoa butter nor cacao (nibs?), or, can you, literally, drink chocolate ?
and have something of same voscosity as olive oil

Of course. They use profiled fatty acids to get the right texture at a particular temperature. That’s why you can buy Dairy Milk in Africa which doesn’t melt in the heat, yet it’s theoretically the same product that they sell in the UK for a temperate climate.

Soldato
Yes, if you think about it, the fact that it’s molten fat means they can take it over 100C and it holds its temperature better than water based drinks too.

It wasn't that hot and it had a fair amount of milk in it. It was drinking chocolate, not molten chocolate.

Soldato
you make hot chocolate with water? then it's not hot chocolate it's watery chocolate.

It’s the (formerly EU) designated legal name. If you serve hot chocolate as we have in the UK then it’s legally a chocolate flavoured milk drink.

What I’m talking about is a chocolate product specifically designed to be melted and consumed in a liquid state. That’s real hot chocolate.

Soldato
Yes, if you think about it, the fact that it’s molten fat means they can take it over 100C and it holds its temperature better than water based drinks too.

I think that's the sugar content that increases the heat capacity, not cream, which, I too, had thought would have a higher heat capacity, but appears not.
(it is less dense, after all)

Optimal temperature for drinking your hot chocolate from my link is 50 odd degrees, although the video (master chocolatiers), deliver it take-away at 70C odd,
I had thought you should be boiling drinking chocolate, like cooking 'through' corn-flour, but, just, steaming milk to 60-70C and adding to a chocolate paste is ok,
which is what I'll try next with espresso machine steam wand experiments, it'll make less mess too.

My comment about dairy milk, was poking fun at , modelez, or are they independant again ?
for not being allowed to call dairy milk, chocolate in the eu.

I'm interested to know temp that the velvetiser achieves.

Soldato
I think that's the sugar content that increases the heat capacity, not cream, which, I too, had thought would have a higher heat capacity, but appears not.
(it is less dense, after all)

Optimal temperature for drinking your hot chocolate from my link is 50 odd degrees, although the video (master chocolatiers), deliver it take-away at 70C odd,
I had thought you should be boiling drinking chocolate, like cooking 'through' corn-flour, but, just, steaming milk to 60-70C and adding to a chocolate paste is ok,
which is what I'll try next with espresso machine steam wand experiments, it'll make less mess too.

My comment about dairy milk, was poking fun at , modelez, or are they independant again ?
for not being allowed to call dairy milk, chocolate in the eu.

I'm interested to know temp that the velvetiser achieves.

Can I just ask you a very small favour? Never, ever, ever, use the phrase master chocolatier - it’s maitre chocolatier or nothing. Lindt & Sprüngli have a marketing team who need shooting. Maitre Chocolatier is a legally recognised professional qualification and none of them call themselves chocolateers, master or otherwise.

I would put the chocolate flakes or shavings in the milk jug, add the amount of milk you want and steam the two together. If you’ve bought chocolate for melting into milk it will have a very high level of soya lecithin in it to emulsify the cocoa solids into the milk and you’ll get the best effect by melting the chocolate as you heat the milk.

The velvetizer has a designed target temperature of 70C. Which for a lot of people inured to drinking tea and coffee made with boiling water, is quite cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I’m talking about is a chocolate product specifically designed to be melted and consumed in a liquid state. That’s real hot chocolate.
I'm unaware of any product where you literally melt chocolate and drink it without first dissolving in milk, you would literally be drinking a melted fat and solid suspension. I get that UK style "Cadbury's Options" where the mild is in powdered form with chocolate and add hot water to make a drink might not meet EU naming conventions but drinking chocolate like Charbonnel or similar made with mild are very much Hot Chocolate in most peoples minds and would be what I'd expect to get in cafe's across Europe if I ordered "un chocolat sil, vous plait" (or equivalent).

Back
Top Bottom