• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Caporegime
I have a GSync 240hz monitor and never locked FPS or play with VSync.

I trying to figure out why to significant drop in the the 3090 core clocks in these games which resulting in under 60fps

1070ti core clocks and FPS in the same games where fine.

It's like the GPU knows that theses games are not demanding for a (1440p Monitor) but cutting back too much on the core clocks.

Edited post
Now getting artifacts and crashing in Cyberpunk. Only had GPU a few days so sending it back :mad:
Sounds like potentially the temps are spiking way too high under load, possibly due to an incorrectly seated cooler or lack of paste.

That sucks, especially as you have likely waited so long for the card and it was the icing on the cake of your badass new rig. :(

Soldato
Edited post
Now getting artifacts and crashing in Cyberpunk. Only had GPU a few days so sending it back :mad:

Myself and a couple of friends have 3090s, and we did have a couple of issues with games, some of which were fixed with drivers / windows reinstalls, etc... I'd make 500% sure it's not something like that, before you send it back!

When I got my Zotac trinity 3090, I had really weird issues and I thought the card was messed up, reinstalled windows and it's been 100% perfect for 4 months.

Just might want to be sure before you RMA it!

Associate
I have a GSync 240hz monitor and never locked FPS or play with VSync.

I trying to figure out why to significant drop in the the 3090 core clocks in these games which resulting in under 60fps

1070ti core clocks and FPS in the same games where fine.

It's like the GPU knows that theses games are not demanding for a (1440p Monitor) but cutting back too much on the core clocks.

Edited post

That's a real crapola of a situation - I'd definitely recommend some elementary testing before RMA - uninstall/wipe drivers and reinstall, etc.
You need HWinfo to confirm all the temps readable. Found a Reddit on someone who'd badly fitted a waterblock and sufffered throttling which a reseat cured. That might identify the overheating item(s)

If it is overheating issues, try force cooling it while testing (house fan?) or even run it outside as it's <10C in the evenings at the moment but you'll need an extension lead for that!

Also, are you using Geforce Experience? Might be a 'game optimisation' setting - or lack of - causing this? Try setting the Nvidia control panel to max performance?

Associate
Myself and a couple of friends have 3090s, and we did have a couple of issues with games, some of which were fixed with drivers / windows reinstalls, etc... I'd make 500% sure it's not something like that, before you send it back!

When I got my Zotac trinity 3090, I had really weird issues and I thought the card was messed up, reinstalled windows and it's been 100% perfect for 4 months.

Just might want to be sure before you RMA it!

I might have to do that because my build has gotten a lot of bloat over the years. Still waiting on a new AMD CPU though.

Associate
3090 OC Strix here, I just got an email saying mine has shipped today, but I was queue 10 last week. No update on deliverys in the thread. They just poof out of thin air or.... Not complaining was a very nice surprise. Thank you OCUK for caring about your customers!!! Why you will always be my PC part shop!!!

Caporegime
3090 OC Strix here, I just got an email saying mine has shipped today, but I was queue 10 last week. No update on deliverys in the thread. They just poof out of thin air or.... Not complaining was a very nice surprise. Thank you OCUK for caring about your customers!!! Why you will always be my PC part shop!!!
You are thanking OCUK for caring about customers for simply... shipping an order that you made? :confused:

Associate
You are thanking OCUK for caring about customers for simply... shipping an order that you made? :confused:
The amount of money they are losing per order just to satisfy the customers is crazy. So yes I am thanking them for staying true to the preorder system and not changing the prices.

Caporegime
The amount of money they are losing per order just to satisfy the customers is crazy. So yes I am thanking them for staying true to the preorder system and not changing the prices.
Like other retailers, they shouldn't have taken so many pre-orders and payments when they knew supply was so limited. Hopefully this crapshoot of a generational release will be a wake up call for all retailers to show a little more restraint and change their ordering processes when the next generation hits.

Soldato
Did they though? Jensen stated at the 3080 launch there'd be plenty of stock. If Nvidia are happy to say that publicly, what did they say behind the scenes to distributors, retailers and AIBs?
The trouble was for the first time in 4 years nvidia actually brought out a decent product in terms of price performance so demand was super high, why demand is still high now is anyone's guess as ampere probably has worse price performance than any generation at this point and even makes the weak selling Turing look like a bargain.

Soldato
Feel bad for those just getting their 3090's, or who've received them recently. 3080ti is just about to drop, and will be the stand out card price/performance ratio (for gaming) this generation.

I still feel the 3080ti will be faster in games over the 3090, we'll see.

Permabanned
Feel bad for those just getting their 3090's, or who've received them recently. 3080ti is just about to drop, and will be the stand out card price/performance ratio (for gaming) this generation.

I still feel the 3080ti will be faster in games over the 3090, we'll see.

Why is that, it will still be a cut down version which does not mean a higher Core like many gens ago as the 3080 and 3090 clock about the same (2100mhz Core) and some very good samples do 2200mhz Core (more 3090's than 3080's) and will not have as much VRAM and GDDR6X is still new and had/has poor yields so it will not have faster VRAM?

And unless it is triple slot it will still be louder/hotter than the 3090 like the 3080 is.

Last edited:
Soldato
With a gimped 3090 gpu and half the memory with a scalped price of £2000+? Yes of course its the better buy lol.

They'll likely be £800-900 ish including VAT on the Nvidia store. Just have to use one of the numerous stock drop apps to get one. One thing's for sure, you'll be able to get one way sooner than the ~8 months!!!!!! people have been waiting for their £1500+ 3090's.

As to performance - 3090/3080ti specs on paper are practically identical. Clocks speeds not finalized, for all we know the 3080ti will just clock way higher (more mature process, binned chips,, many options).

Nvidia care more about crushing AMD's benchmark numbers than they do in breastfeeding all 6 of the 3090 owners out there.

Back
Top Bottom