Tools you'd like to receive as a gift?

Soldato
You know... what you wouldn't necessarily justify yourself, but definitely wouldn't say no to. I'm not talking power tools as that is your own prerogative/what eco-system you've bought into etc. But that one tool or set of tools that wouldn't be out of place as a reasonably expensive gift but equally wouldn't find there way into the dump bin of 'spare tools'...

Thoughts?

Man of Honour
I hinted to the wife last Xmas that an air compressor and full suite of associated tools was a necessity for the garage but it didn’t wash. I bought it myself in the end.

Previously it was a motorcycle lift table. Same story, she didn’t bite and I just bought it anyway.

Next up will be a welder. I have a bike trailer and a few other pieces that need welded and I’ve always wanted to give it a go. I fully expect to drop all the hints but end up having to just buy it myself.

Just give me a £1k voucher for Machine Mart (my favourite shop ever) and I’ll be a happy man.

Soldato
I hinted to the wife last Xmas that an air compressor and full suite of associated tools was a necessity for the garage but it didn’t wash. I bought it myself in the end.

Previously it was a motorcycle lift table. Same story, she didn’t bite and I just bought it anyway.

Next up will be a welder. I have a bike trailer and a few other pieces that need welded and I’ve always wanted to give it a go. I fully expect to drop all the hints but end up having to just buy it myself.

Just give me a £1k voucher for Machine Mart (my favourite shop ever) and I’ll be a happy man.

I was dropping hints about a socket set. So many jobs I've done would have been 10 times easier with a socket set but I struggled along, each time pointing out how much easier it would have been had I had the right tools. The webpage was left open on my laptop multiple times. I'm now the proud owner of the socket set I was after.. Bought and paid for by myself. :cry:

Soldato

I'd be more worried if she had shown a strong interest and knowledge with such items.

Soldato
I am in the lucky situation that i have a large amount of quality tools provided to me by work, way better than I could afford.

but i would kill for a lathe and a milling machine (if i had the space) and maybe a 3d printer

Soldato
Not particularly expensive, but rather than essentials I've asked for "nice to haves" such as:

Digital calipers
Mechanics stool
Impact wobble bar set
Builders square

Anything expensive I'll buy myself.

Associate
That is a thing of beauty. Would never use three quarters of the stuff in the there, but that'd be right up there when I get my triple car garage
I kinda disagree, but maybe because of my own personal journey.

Each of my tools has a bit of a story - most are necessity purchases for when I've been doing a job and think, ah, I really need this particular tool. They're also a wide variery of brands, ages, and levels of use. I don't think you can replicate that love of your own tools thing by just buying a monolithic unit already full of every tool known to man, but which you've not spent hours of time researching and checking which was the best to buy.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'd be more worried if she had shown a strong interest and knowledge with such items.

My wife not only went out and bought our air compressor but she also installed it in the roof space of the garage and ran the air hose connection points around the wall. We've always worked on cars together. Thinking about it, the garage was where, ahem, our first born "came to mind" ;)

Wife_stripping.jpg

As for what I want but no need - I fancy a laser cutter. I've toyed with the idea of converting one of my 3D printers to a laser cutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
I kinda disagree, but maybe because of my own personal journey.

Each of my tools has a bit of a story - most are necessity purchases for when I've been doing a job and think, ah, I really need this particular tool. They're also a wide variery of brands, ages, and levels of use. I don't think you can replicate that love of your own tools thing by just buying a monolithic unit already full of every tool known to man, but which you've not spent hours of time researching and checking which was the best to buy.
My tools have a similar story to yours. You are quite right. I often lust after these big kits but I reckon there would be significant buyer’s remorse afterwards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom