Any MMORPG recommendations?

Associate
New World is out in August/September. I played it late last year in one of the alphas, but didn't get enough time in to really get a feel for it. There's an alpha or beta going now but no one's talking as they'll get kicked if they do!

Otherwise, I like FFXIV, which has a free trial to level 60 so there's nothing to lose really.

Soldato
FFXIV for sure, there's the free trial mentioned above, there's sooo much content to play through for free, shame you just missed the 60% off deal which got you everything for £27.99 (and a months game time) with Endwalker coming in November. There's also a proper release schedule for content between now and Nov, which is the complete opposite of WOW's content desert and total lack of communication. The community/dev relationship is very positive, again the exact opposite of WOW.

It has a hell of a lot going for it, it's just whether it's your "bag" or not, like any MMO. The aesthetic is a bit marmite I guess.

New World coming, and Lost Ark is finally ccoming later in the Autumn.

Associate
the exact opposite of WOW.

I've got to agree with this. I played WOW from launch up to Legion, when I quit for like the eight time and it finally stuck. FFXIV very much has the feel of WOW done right, with story, lore and characters you will actually care about (though Alphinaud would benefit from regular punches to the face.)

Soldato
I've got to agree with this. I played WOW from launch up to Legion, when I quit for like the eight time and it finally stuck. FFXIV very much has the feel of WOW done right, with story, lore and characters you will actually care about (though Alphinaud would benefit from regular punches to the face.)

Never really played WOW much, and I'm pretty new to FFXIV, overall it just looked to me from all I could gather - Asmon, Bellular, Zepla, forums, fan opinions etc that it's two games going in opposite directions.

Associate
My vote also goes with FFXIV specially with the free trial to level 60 the limits aren't that bad and generally you won't notice them until you get into the game properly.

Associate
WOW seems to be continually trying to reinvent itself with major overhauls
I've never understood this, how would Amazon know that Joe Bloggs on a random gaming forum is Player #123 in the beta test?

Fair point, but there's pretty good adherence to the NDA as far as I can see. Of course there's endless flame wars over the dev blog posts "cash shop is P2W!", "cancelling my preorder!", e.t.c.

With MMORPGs there's no substitute for actually playing for a good while, so I'm looking forward to the more open beta for myself.

Caporegime
New World is out in August/September. I played it late last year in one of the alphas, but didn't get enough time in to really get a feel for it. There's an alpha or beta going now but no one's talking as they'll get kicked if they do!

Otherwise, I like FFXIV, which has a free trial to level 60 so there's nothing to lose really.
people are talking about it though even the patch notes and the micro transaction shop especially how they worded it being cosmetics only for 6 months or whatever :p

Associate
Amazon games just started with their alpha tests for Lost Ark (Izometric MMO). I've been playing it on other regions and highly reccomend it.

Associate
Absolutely FFXIV. I haven't played it in a while, but it was excellent last time I did. The community was excellent, there was an abundance of stuff to do and there was constant meaningful updates.

I played WoW from the vanilla beta right up until Cataclysm. Came back briefly for Legion, but (in my experience) it's mostly filled with elitist and toxic players these days.

Associate
OP
Alrighty, looks like I have to give FFXIV a try, I do remember seeing recently in some article there were more active players on FFXIV than WoW, crazy.

Soldato
Alrighty, looks like I have to give FFXIV a try, I do remember seeing recently in some article there were more active players on FFXIV than WoW, crazy.
please don't believe everything you read on the internet there's zero proof on the actual subs for both games. ;) Although yes ff14 is very popular

Associate
Another recommendation for GW2 - lot of content and a good variety of things to do. The community is good too (from my experience).

Soldato

Their considered the biggest 2 but neither are enjoying the heights they once did, particularly WoW. MMO's aren't in a great place these days.

I can't comment on FF14 but WoW has a lot of artificial gating and paid transactions, which has brought the overall quality of the game down substantially over recent years.

Associate
FFXIV have the best story for an MMO, but it's still pretty average compared to single player games.

Associate
the last MMORPG I played many years ago is Lineage2 and that will forever be my favourite game, but there are 2 games I'm keeping my eyes on and that's new world and ashes of creation, those 2 look great and will definitely play both when they come out.

Soldato
I've never understood this, how would Amazon know that Joe Bloggs on a random gaming forum is Player #123 in the beta test?

Amazon run a lot of servers and traffic analytics type info. Cookies can track you across multiple websites. Just think about how ads can effectively follow you once you've visited a site.

Back
Top Bottom