Mountain Biking

Soldato
Awesome videos!

Where do you mount your go pro? and could you share your rendering method & settings? Thanks!

Looks like under helmet visor?

agreed, great video. Which go pro are you using ?

Thanks :) Yeah it's mounted under the visor. Camera is a GoPro Hero 9 Black. The videos above are just the raw video uploaded to YouTube. I have tweaked the GoPros video settings like exposure etc but I'm away at the mo so can't check right now but can let you know what I'm using when I'm home tomorrow if you like.

Settings I can remember is 4k, Superwide, hypersmooth on etc.

Associate
Thanks :) Yeah it's mounted under the visor. Camera is a GoPro Hero 9 Black. The videos above are just the raw video uploaded to YouTube. I have tweaked the GoPros video settings like exposure etc but I'm away at the mo so can't check right now but can let you know what I'm using when I'm home tomorrow if you like.

I'm currently using a hero 5 black and footage is just a bit wild into fast bumpy sections. I may invest in the 9 in the future once I've finished my bike build.

How do you find the camera under the visor? Is the weight noticeable?

Soldato
My drivetrain is on its last legs so wanting to replace it

Got SRAM AXS GX upgrade kit sorted but really struggling to find a 1275 10-52 cassette.

Soldato
How do you find the camera under the visor? Is the weight noticeable?

The weight was noticeable at first, mainly when I first put it on to test in the house but soon as I tried it riding I don't even notice it. That's on a TLD D3 full face helmet so not sure how it would work on a normal lid. I have a chest mount also but I've not tried it with the Hero 9 yet.

Soldato

Wow okay. I found I couldn't get the bike in the shot with a helmet clamp, but I shot in 60fps, so no SuperView. I'm gonna start shooting with 4k superview not 60fps in future.

I just got a chest mount though, and its much much better! Will get some footage up soon :)

Soldato
Wow okay. I found I couldn't get the bike in the shot with a helmet clamp, but I shot in 60fps, so no SuperView. I'm gonna start shooting with 4k superview not 60fps in future.

I just got a chest mount though, and its much much better! Will get some footage up soon :)

I use 30fps, haven't felt like 60fps is needed.

Chest mount is good as you get better view of bars and bike etc but it flattens out the terrain even more and you get worse view of the terrain your actually riding imo. Not tried my chest mountain since getting the Hero 9 though.

Soldato
I use 30fps, haven't felt like 60fps is needed.

Chest mount is good as you get better view of bars and bike etc but it flattens out the terrain even more and you get worse view of the terrain your actually riding imo. Not tried my chest mountain since getting the Hero 9 though.

Just looked back over the footage with my GoPro Chesty and its much much much better. I'll have to find and mark the best angle on the mount to get it right every time, but it's superb.

When I filmed on the helmet, no superview, you couldn't see the bike and because of the immense stabilisation on the Hero 9 it just looked like a drone it was so stable. Meanwhile I'm rattling along holding on for dear life! :cry:

Next run I'll go 4k30 & SuperView, think that'll be the best in terms of getting the trail & the bars/hands, capturing all the craziness.

If you could quote me and post your GoPro settings too when you find time, that would be amazing. I think I'll just edit, export to 4k mov and upload that file instead of trying Handbrake to compress before upload - it just destroys any quality you have. Next run I'll be completely set up :cool:

Soldato
New brakes! Hope Tech 3 V4. Very nice, internal routing was fun, but beer and swearing overcame that! Also hadn't realised i would need a front mount bracket, luckily my mate had a 20mm mount that we spaced with 3mm washers to make 23mm, ordered a 23mm to swap over later.

They are replacing Shimano M6120 brakes which i had constant issues with fade and probably a leak somewhere as i had to constantly bleed them.

Associate
looks like a Rallon?
i've never touched the brakes on mine but have found replacing the dropper and shifter cables to be quite easy, certainly better than my other bike which is a right pain.

Soldato
Hope V4's are brilliant, they can be quite noisy, and it's essential to make sure they're correctly aligned and the pistons centralized but once they're set up, and you grab a finger full of front brake... :D

I use the organic pads on the rear, for instant cold bite (handy when needing to control speed on a steep downhill), and sintered in the front for full stopping power, the fronts will take a bit longer to warm up but once they are they're hugely powerful.

I have them on both my bikes.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Those Hope brakes do look immense! I have been considering a brake upgrade recently too having ridden enough on the Tektro M275 to realise where they are good and where not so much. The pads have fidget room in the caliper as they are merely secured with a single pin that you bend at the end so do end up rubbing on a a larger 180mm over bumps which I've started to find annoying!

I'll be weighing up options from Magura, Hope and Shimano as want to keep my current rotors just upgrade levers and calipers.

In the meantime changed pedals from the cheap aluminium ones which served well but got scuffed too easily pealing off the paint and had not so grippy pins to Tag Metals T3 nylon which have much gripper pins and are a slightly wider platform too.

pedals_tag-metals-t3.jpg

Soldato
Those Hope brakes do look immense! I have been considering a brake upgrade recently too having ridden enough on the Tektro M275 to realise where they are good and where not so much. The pads have fidget room in the caliper as they are merely secured with a single pin that you bend at the end so do end up rubbing on a a larger 180mm over bumps which I've started to find annoying!

I'll be weighing up options from Magura, Hope and Shimano as want to keep my current rotors just upgrade levers and calipers.

In the meantime changed pedals from the cheap aluminium ones which served well but got scuffed too easily pealing off the paint and had not so grippy pins to Tag Metals T3 nylon which have much gripper pins and are a slightly wider platform too.

pedals_tag-metals-t3.jpg
Out of interest, what sort of riding do you do?

I'm following your broom bike with interest as I have an old (10yo) halfords special which I'm using until I prove to myself that this isn't a passing interest before I buy something proper, and I keep having to stop myself form buying stuff like pedals and grips because it's probably not going be anywhere near as useful as buying a proper bike! I have many urges to buy bits but fortunately you're doing the same so it quenches my need for upgrades :D

After brakes, do you think there's anything you'll look to change or will that be 'it'?

Back
Top Bottom