• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
There was always going to be a point at which the crypto market would correct itself after such a large gain in a short space of time, the question is how big will that correction be before it levels out or rises again. Although as gamers we hope for a crash so that we can get a gpu at MRSP it might not be good for the global economy, which is why it really should be regulated Bitcoin craze will trigger the 'mother of all crashes', warns 'Big Short' investor Michael Burry (msn.com)

If you believe that there will be the mother of all crashes keep waiting for cheaper cards

They are basically just fraudsters. They get people to mine and invest billions. Then overnight, you just loose your billions. That's Crypto . UK government needs to ban it just like China, solves everyone a headache.
It's a FOMO scam! Beware.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are basically just fraudsters. They get people to mine and invest billions. Then overnight, you just loose your billions. That's Crypto . UK government needs to ban it just like China, solves everyone a headache.

It does make me wonder how many people might be left holding the baby if prices fall a lot and then stagnate. Many of those people will be looking at a stonking loss when they cash out. How long can you HODL?

On the plus side, falling crypto should lead to a reduction in demand for new cards, so I might get an upgrade before Christmas.

Associate
It does make me wonder how many people might be left holding the baby if prices fall a lot and then stagnate. Many of those people will be looking at a stonking loss when they cash out. How long can you HODL?

On the plus side, falling crypto should lead to a reduction in demand for new cards, so I might get an upgrade before Christmas.

The losses don't exist if you don't sell, you know that. </s>

The miners are less affected, for last six months you've been getting regular payout every two weeks or so and your hardware still has nonzero value. It's kind of the old gag about selling pickaxes to gold diggers is the surefire way to strike gold. Of course if you went nuts with your excel graph ROI figures and paid through the nose you may be crying.

I feel for the people who sold their houses though. It's a harsh price for stupidity.

Permabanned
The losses don't exist if you don't sell, you know that. </s>

The miners are less affected, for last six months you've been getting regular payout every two w

The miners are less affected, for last six months you've been getting regular payout every two weeks or so and your hardware still has nonzero value. It's kind of the old gag about selling pickaxes to gold diggers is the surefire way to strike gold. Of course if you went nuts with your excel graph ROI figures and paid through the nose you may be crying.

I feel for the people who sold their houses though. It's a harsh price for stupidity.

Miners are very affected, just look at the mining farms in China. They will loose out big.

Associate
Anything over MSRP is still bad news.

It will only be a good thing when everyone can at least get a card at the price they are meant to be.
lets roll back to the good old days of 2019
MSRP for GPU over £600 is bad news, Im not sure why we (consumers) decided to suddenly to bend the knee and accepted that 999 for a HIGH END card (not the highest) is OK
bring back top models at 499

Soldato
lets roll back to the good old days of 2019
MSRP for GPU over £600 is bad news, Im not sure why we (consumers) decided to suddenly to bend the knee and accepted that 999 for a HIGH END card (not the highest) is OK
bring back top models at 499

"We" didn't, some of us cashed in on the madness and sold up and went console. No way are GPUs ever going to get back to what they were, even MSRP of the 3080 was getting ridiculous but consumers bent over and took it justifying it as a bargain compared to the 2080ti and lapping it up

GPU prices were making a mockery of gamers then but at this point it's just laughable

Permabanned
"We" didn't, some of us cashed in on the madness and sold up and went console. No way are GPUs ever going to get back to what they were, even MSRP of the 3080 was getting ridiculous but consumers bent over and took it justifying it as a bargain compared to the 2080ti and lapping it up

GPU prices were making a mockery of gamers then but at this point it's just laughable

Yah, the pandemic and lockup,many bent over .

But my advice to anyone looking for a GPU is DO NOT buy from scalpers on the bay. They will start loosing money :rolleyes: Remember, these cards were released months ago and are not even worth full msrp. They should be cheaper than msrp most of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
all the prices are insane

Yeah, they are. However, at least with the 3080 and 3090 you were paying for next gen performance. The 2080Ti went as high as £1700, so if you got a 3090 for that or less? you did OK, even compared to the bonkers last gen pricing.

It's cards that are pretty crap, like the 3060, which make no sense at all.

BTW as for cards not reaching retailers? of course. Did no one see the video on YT where Greg Salazar found an advert for like, 30 3060s before they had even been launched officially?

Actually it was the 3060Ti, not the 3060. It was 2 days after launch, and it was 72 of them not 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfCCouZ_dG8

Associate
Yah, the pandemic and lockup,many bent over .

But my advice to anyone looking for a GPU is DO NOT buy from scalpers on the bay. They will start loosing money :rolleyes: Remember, these cards were released months ago and are not even worth full msrp. They should be cheaper than msrp most of them.

Whilst I would like that idea, there was probably an enough of a demand from gamers alone to keep prices competitive but nonetheless high (at least msrp) I wouldn't say prices should be lower than msrp without the whole pandemic/scalper/miner market.

Associate
well there is only a finite amount of gamers, and slowly their appetite for the new GPU is being satisfied, I purchased 3080 TUF non OC on day one back in sep 2020, Im still in the queue, however in the meantime managed to grab 6800xt. I have huge games backlog and Im not in rush to play latest and greatest RTX games in which you may or may not see the difference. Anyone who can should wait. prices of 3080ti are ridicilous, why is anyone paying more than 3090FE but at least we are heading in the right direction

Caporegime
Yeah, they are. However, at least with the 3080 and 3090 you were paying for next gen performance. The 2080Ti went as high as £1700, so if you got a 3090 for that or less? you did OK, even compared to the bonkers last gen pricing.

It's cards that are pretty crap, like the 3060, which make no sense at all.

BTW as for cards not reaching retailers? of course. Did no one see the video on YT where Greg Salazar found an advert for like, 30 3060s before they had even been launched officially?

Actually it was the 3060Ti, not the 3060. It was 2 days after launch, and it was 72 of them not 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfCCouZ_dG8

@FoxEye will explode if he see's that video

Soldato
Yes Crypto is just legit fraud. Be careful, it uses too much electricity ad well so bad on the planet

And gaming on a highly overclocked PC (drawing many hundreds of Watts) for hours every day clearly uses no electricity and is actually saving the planet :D

miners aint buying GPUs anymore, prices will correct themselves when supply improves with mining in the toilet.

I'm glad we have the spokesman for all miners right here on our OcUK forum, plus you have the inside information for the whole supply chain of GPUs.

We should feel blessed.

Soldato
That last line is unfortunately quite true these days.

There's even a wee bullying mob forming asking to petition mods to ban a guy as he's asking about upgrading from a 3080 to a 3080ti..... Pathetic self entitled children ;)

Everyone has as much right to a GPU as everyone else, you are not special because you're stuck gaming in ’Low/Medium’ settings.

Instead of crying like a butthurt spoilt child, divert your time and energy to putting some effort in to grabbing a GPU. Everyone is in the same boat and those who have put the effort in are rewarded for their work!

Associate
Not sure if it happened recently or some time ago, but China has banned cryptocurrency resulting in miners there trying to sell their cards.

And gaming on a highly overclocked PC (drawing many hundreds of Watts) for hours every day clearly uses no electricity and is actually saving the planet :D

It doesn't use anywhere as much as mining does, and gaming PCs arent gaming 24/7.

Soldato
Not sure if it happened recently or some time ago, but China has banned cryptocurrency resulting in miners there trying to sell their cards.

Yup, recently happened. Doesn't mean they're all being sold though, the hardware can be shipped to other countries. These operations can be huge with significant capital behind them, anything is doable.

It doesn't use anywhere as much as mining does, and gaming PCs arent gaming 24/7.

Gaming on PCs eats significant power in what is just creating some 'pixels on a screen game'.

Both turn a lot of electricity into mainly heat and and high horse seated gamers need to realise how hypocritical they are when using the arguement....... 'Power usage is well bad for teh environment mkkaayyy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom