Mountain Biking

Associate
It's only mental if you haven't got a disposable income.

I have a desire to build a bike with a Chinese carbon frame myself.

Well, I've ordered the first part in a new fork, Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate RC2 in 160mm flavour to go with the 150mm travel frame :D

Just in the process of moving jobs which results in a massive bump to disposable too, so seems a reasonable excuse!

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
So, when buying a frameset as an individual item, is it normal to not receive a headset? I mean, I found the top cap, upper seal and star nut in the box, but no bearings, spacers or crown race. Assume it's just missing and the retailer wouldn't have an issue replacing? Closed right now so just figured I'd ask here, seeing as some of you folks have built up from scratch.

Soldato
So, when buying a frameset as an individual item, is it normal to not receive a headset? I mean, I found the top cap, upper seal and star nut in the box, but no bearings, spacers or crown race. Assume it's just missing and the retailer wouldn't have an issue replacing? Closed right now so just figured I'd ask here, seeing as some of you folks have built up from scratch.
I've never got anything headset related with a frame. Just the frame, shock, seat clamp and rear axle.

Associate
I've never got anything headset related with a frame. Just the frame, shock, seat clamp and rear axle.
I find it odd that some parts are there and not others, which led me to believe it should be included. I mean, surely the manufacturer supplies all or none of it right, not some random bits. If it's relevant then the frame is by Specialized.

Caporegime

I only got one with the last frame as it was an option, and I paid extra. I'd normally say you wouldn't get a headset.

Associate
Anyway, have asked them and will see tomorrow. There's a couple of hose retention clips missing too for the rear brake hose. Worst case an FSA kit is around £45 so no big deal in the scheme of it.

Got news that the fork, dropper and crankset are en route from Germany now too, so that's some exciting news. Ironic that even after Brexit I can still get parts cheaper there with tax fully paid.

Soldato
So, when buying a frameset as an individual item, is it normal to not receive a headset?

Which frame did you order?

Out off all the bikes I've ever owned I've only not built two of them frame scratch and that's my first "good" bike which was an Orange Patriot in 1999 and my most recent Orbea Occam. Of all the frames I've bought over the years only two have come with a headset, my 2012 Santa Cruz V10 and 2018 YT Tues Frames. The manufacturer should specify whether your frame comes with any other parts like a headset etc.

Associate
Well speaking to the retailer customer service line, they seem to believe one should have ben included, so they said they'll see what can be done (assumedly it'll be a replacement part). The frame is a Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon.

Soldato
I think it's a sometimes you do, sometimes you don't thing. I know I've got frames in the past that have had them and others that it was up to you to go and buy them, but these were road frames where the options are probably more restricted as it's only ever going on one fork type in theory. Although on my last one they didn't bother including a mech hanger which was annoying.

Associate
Yeah it seems like it was just missed out of the box with it being a frame that was on display in a retail store. Similar story with the chainguide I think. All the images of the frame set clearly show one mounted but nothing in the box. Anyway I've left it with them to sort out.

On a positive note, just had notification that my forks are due for delivery Friday and the rest of the bits should all be here over the next week or so.

Associate
Could be, first time I'll be running a bike with an integrated headset. Seems simple enough mind, just an integral without the metal cups.

Had a call this morning anyway and they're posting out the headset and chain guide that was missing, so a nice easy solution.

Associate
Which retailer have you used, I need some parts but the stock is limited in UK.

A few different ones. Frame came from Leisure Lakes, forks are coming from Germany (Bikester), similarly the dropper post and crankset. Then a few bits from CRC, Amazon etc.

@Invertigo Where did you manage to find some forks?
I ordered some Fox36's from TFTuned in May, but they're not expecting stock until maybe around August.
Got a 2021 model Lyrik Ultimate 160mm RC2 from Bikester, they only had one in stock and at a mega deal too (circa £620 delivered, all taxes etc paid). They had a Zeb ultimate even cheaper but unfortunately missed that! Albeit it was too long really, 180mm when the frame is designed around 150-160. Also just total overkill for my uses!

Seems they still have some bits, certainly seem to have a fair selection in 27.5 flavour anyway

Back
Top Bottom