Wokery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
IIRC there is some question about a lot of the older studies about health issues and being overweight, especially at the lower end of the scale.

Something to do with other studies realising that if a doctors first reaction when someone has a complaint is "have you tried losing weight" meaning they're missing early signs of a lot of things that aren't actually weight related but then putting them down as weight related because they then go on to cause serious issues skewed towards those who are overweight*. From what I understand this is especially true in america and with women

There is also the whole thing about "overweight" in some cases meaning normal for your body type/genetic background as some groups of people will almost always be overweight according to the BMI, others might look overweight but be within normal ranges (a lot of athletes can be "overweight" because muscle weighs more, whilst a pudgy person might be "normal" according to BMI)..

I think one of the best comments I saw about how "it's more common to be overweight now" than it used to be was pointing out that many of the "old beauties" would be considered overweight now (IIRC Marilyn Munro was one example from the 50's, as were many classic beauties) just for body shape, and that it's amazing how people tended to look thinner/be thinner back when virtually everyone was killing themselves with massive daily doses of something that had appetite suppressors as a side effect;)

Mind you I'm saying this as an overweight person who knows he's overweight and struggling to reduce it.

*Rather like the old image with the statistically most damaged areas of aircraft that made it back from missions in WW2 that was used to work out where they needed to add extra protection based on the damage of the aircraft that made it back...not wondering why they didn't get many/any aircraft back with say damage to the cockpit, engines or rudders compared to thousands with damage to the wings and fuselage where there was little that was actually vital to the aircrafts airworthiness in the very short term.

Very insightful, thank you. :)

Capodecina
Soldato
I think one of the best comments I saw about how "it's more common to be overweight now" than it used to be was pointing out that many of the "old beauties" would be considered overweight now (IIRC Marilyn Munro was one example from the 50's, as were many classic beauties) just for body shape, and that it's amazing how people tended to look thinner/be thinner back when virtually everyone was killing themselves with massive daily doses of something that had appetite suppressors as a side effect;)

The Marilyn Munroe thing is misunderstood - she was never a size 16, but a size 10 maximum.

Contrary to received wisdom, she was not a voluptuous size 16 — quite the opposite. While she was undeniably voluptuous — in possession of an ample bosom and a bottom that would look at home gyrating in a J-Lo video — for most of the early part of her career, she was a size 8 and even in her plumper stages, was no more than a 10. I can tell you this from experience because a few weeks ago, I tried to try on her clothes.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/marilyn-monroe-size/

Soldato
"White rage" :cry:What has race got to do with the storming of the capital building?

Having a problem with people being woke doesn't make you a racist you know.

"White rage" is clearly a problem in the US. It is being exploited and encouraged as its a great political weapon. Currently there is an attempt to put critical race theory front and centre of everything and blame everything on it because they know it causes resentment and its a great buzzword to motivate certain voters to vote and more importantly get them out, get involved and of course donate money. Several States are/have passed laws banning what can and can't be taught in schools. Woke is our critical race theory, it is being mentioned everywhere, its the new political correctness x100. The problem is it is now being thrown at everything so it is becoming a joke, a meme. Much like this thread, the outrage at everything is worse than the outrage of the people you are outraged by. Its a snake eating its own tail.

Soldato
You're deluded if you believe that's what the general consensus is of the word now.

Only because its being rammed down everyone's throat as the great enemy among us. That is the whole idea of constantly banging on about wokeism and its evils. I can't open social media without people calling out everything and blaming it on woke. Its just become a buzzword for those outraged to use. Doesn't make it right though.

Soldato
Only because its being rammed down everyone's throat as the great enemy among us. That is the whole idea of constantly banging on about wokeism and its evils. I can't open social media without people calling out everything and blaming it on woke. Its just become a buzzword for those outraged to use. Doesn't make it right though.

agreed, this is a conscious campaign to turn a good thing into a bad thing. you should ask yourselves who is benefiting from presenting equal rights as "too much" / "unfair" / "virtue signalling" / etc.

Soldato
no, you've decided that you're going to re-brand "woke" to mean something negative. it just means being aware of inequality when seen.

Well it isn't exactly something possitive.

It's people promoting possitive discrimination, trying to re-write history and other wacky nonsense.

It's in the same league as flat Earthers and anti-vaxxers.

Caporegime
Well, they could use models within a normal healthy weight range. They'd be criticised for that too, but at least they wouldn't be promoting an unhealthy body image.
They do use normal healthy weight range models. They use old models, young models. They use all shapes and sizes because they sell to all shapes and seizes. Some of you are worse at being offended than the people you claim are always offended :rolleyes:

How do you know that re: this campaign?

I think everyone is aware that M&S has used healthy models in the past but the comment is made about this campaign. As for being offended, what part of that poster's comment made you think he was "offended"? You seem to be more "offended" yourself, you've thrown in a silly emoji even as a sign of contempt but are still ironically complaining about others being offended.

There are so many posts on a weekly basis full of drama and outrage. Most of them from people who claim to be anti woke.

I think it more the other way around tbh... various woke people pop in to complain about the fact that a thread even exists or that people are critical of some woke or anti woke topic, in the cases where a thread gets locked or disappeared the outrage seems to be much more on the side of the work types, throwing in accusations of racism etc... just look at some of the locked threads.

Yeah, I don’t get this. Adverts with athletic models have been removed in the past for promoting unhealthy body image :confused:. Personally I think overweight models should be treated the same.

It's been outlawed in some countries (France for example IIRC) to use models who are "too skinny" on the catwalk out of health concerns.

Anorexia affects far, far fewer people than obesity. If we can put a stop to the ridiculously skinny models that are being cited as an influence for young girls getting eating disorders (I don't just mean naturally skinny types) then it seems very inconsistent that very overweight and obese aren't banned too. Normalising being fat, the healthy at every size movement etc.. is just silliness.

Man of Honour
no, you've decided that you're going to re-brand "woke" to mean something negative. it just means being aware of inequality when seen.

No. It doesn't mean that and never has. It does and always has meant "conforming to a particular ideology". Which includes ignoring some inequality and perceiving some inequality to exist even when it doesn't, all in the service of promoting division, irrational prejudices and authoritarianism.

Caporegime
IIRC there is some question about a lot of the older studies about health issues and being overweight, especially at the lower end of the scale.

Something to do with other studies realising that if a doctors first reaction when someone has a complaint is "have you tried losing weight" meaning they're missing early signs of a lot of things

While that might be a reasonable concern for doctors that doesn't discredit the idea that being overweight (or, more importantly, obese) is unhealthy.

There is also the whole thing about "overweight" in some cases meaning normal for your body type/genetic background as some groups of people will almost always be overweight according to the BMI, others might look overweight but be within normal ranges (a lot of athletes can be "overweight" because muscle weighs more, whilst a pudgy person might be "normal" according to BMI)..

This is true too, albeit overexaggerated and often cited by people in denial BMI isn't perfect and sure, athletes (and others with serious muscle mass - bodybuilders etc..) might be overweight according to BMI but actually quite healthy, they're the exception though. For the vast majority of people if you're well into the overweight category and certainly if you're into the obese category you're too fat.

Lots of overweight people don't even realise they're overweight and, shockingly, the vast majority of obese people don't even realise they're obese - it's a pretty objective calculation but people just think they're a bit overweight etc..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3234679/
Only 22.2% of obese women and 6.7% of obese men correctly classified themselves as obese (weighted kappa: 0.45 in women and 0.31 in men). On average, normal weight women and men were reasonably accurate in their assessment of how much they would need to weigh to be classified as obese; however, obese women and men overestimated the amount.

It's absolutely true that it is more common to be overweight now, lots of that is perhaps down to the abundance of junk food we currently have. The old beauties would not be considered overweight now!

vo7XYhC.png

That's a myth re: Marylin Munro, she's a bit short by today's standards to be a catwalk model but she'd be a completely normal weight for a famous actress and she's in the normal weight for BMI. and she'd be fine as pin-up type.

From a quick google that facts are laid out in the link below she was 5' 5.5" - 5' 6" and her weight ranged from 117lbs to 140lbs (the latter apparently being when she was depressed at some point during the 50s), she was 118 or 120 early on in her career and at the end of her life but even at 140lbs she was still at a normal BMI (unlike over 60% of UK adults today!).

https://themarilynmonroecollection.com/marilyn-monroe-true-size/

She simply had an hourglass shape, she was never overweight.

Soldato
Way more full on land whales around now. It was rare when I was a kid :/

Like my neighbours on one side. Both massive and barely fit through their front door.

But being fat is part of the whole "woke" culture too. Body acceptance and all that. I'm sure being body proud will keep heart attacks and diabetes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom