*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
They need to remove the requirement, then all the older computers can use Win11.

I have a feeling this is going to backfire on Microsoft. Most people are reluctant to upgrade at the best of times, even with Windows 10.

Soldato
System needs certain hardware to run smoothly.

I don't think not having TPM will effect performance. People have been running the OS with a bypass on CPU's not on the allowed list.

They could still have TPM in Win11. Just don't make it a set requirement. I'm not interested in encrypting my hard drive.

Permabanned
OP
I don't think not having TPM will effect performance. People have been running the OS with a bypass on CPU's not on the allowed list.

They could still have TPM in Win11. Just don't make it a set requirement. I'm not interested in encrypting my hard drive.

You might not be but Microsoft are. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade. Windows 10 will be supported for a while.

Soldato
Personally I think what MS are trying to do is change peoples perception.

They are basically trying to copy Apple but in a Windows world.

By setting minimum criteria to run the OS they are setting the bar for performance and hence peoples perception.

People will never see windows behaving sluggish etc as it is now running on much more modern hardware.

By requiring a TPM, they are also trying to set the bar as well for security.

All in all, if they have windows running on a base level of hardware with a base level of security they are going to change the perception people have of Windows and Microsoft in the future.

We look back on windows and think, security liability, blue screens, viruses etc etc.

In a decade, people will look back on windows and MS with a different light.

Or at least that's the theory.

Soldato
Personally I think what MS are trying to do is change peoples perception.

They are basically trying to copy Apple but in a Windows world.

Well it's an epic fail. Apple cut off some older machines with the last OS launch for the first time in years. They're still supporting c.2015 era kit to run Big Sur.

Whereas Microsoft just cut off my 2 year old X299 machine, unless I toss a new £600 CPU and a TPM in it.

Soldato
Cant carry on supporting old kit forever. People can still run W10.

So why did they pick 8th Gen? It's pretty much the same architecture as 6th gen, just with the odd security fix and a inaccurate new sticker proclaiming it to be a new generation.

Looking at the work estate of a few thousand machines. 85% are scrap and won't run Windows 11. They've got a TPM, but most are Skylake 6th gen bought on a long term contact for stable platform kit. The supplies of newer gen CPUs from Intel have been woeful. New laptops are currently on 15 weeks backorder. They've been on at least 6 weeks backorder for best part of 2 years, so that's pre-COVID.

Soldato
So why did they pick 8th Gen? It's pretty much the same architecture as 6th gen, just with the odd security fix and a inaccurate new sticker proclaiming it to be a new generation.

Looking at the work estate of a few thousand machines. 85% are scrap and won't run Windows 11. They've got a TPM, but most are Skylake 6th gen bought on a long term contact for stable platform kit. The supplies of newer gen CPUs from Intel have been woeful. New laptops are currently on 15 weeks backorder. They've been on at least 6 weeks backorder for best part of 2 years, so that's pre-COVID.

You won't need anything newer for a few years anyway, just stick to W10.

Man of Honour

I still see loads of companies running Core 2 based CPUs even! though increasingly those are being phased out for newer Atom (or M3-Y series, etc.) based systems. We've recently had a load of new kit at work and most of it is like 5, 6 or 7 series Intels, etc. and still quite a few 4 series i5s knocking about.

8th gen and TPM requirement confirmed by Microsoft's head of OS security on Twitter.

Interesting about TPM being non-negotiable due to security - but from what has been floating around on the web any existing implementation is at least weakened if not compromised now by new side-channel attacks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom