Golf Thread

Soldato
Solid round today - decent front 9....striking it well. Best round off the medals since I got back playing I think. (78 less 11 for 67 net) (10.4 currently)

Had a weird 3 hole stretch at 11/12/13 where I literally top my driver 50 yards on 12, then topped a 3 wood and did very well to get out with double.

Nice to pour one in on the last for birdie. Back nine ball striking was poor but scrambled well and holed a few putts.

golf-jpg.1533994

Soldato
Anyone have any tips for inconsistency.

The other day I shot a 77round the local, was happy that I was improving and it felt pretty decent.
Following week and I didn't think I changed anything in my preparations / setup but I just couldn't get the slice or scuffing shots out of the game. Got a 90

Somsthing was different but I could tell what and it's frustrating to know you can play better but aren't.

What do people do to solve this?

Soldato

The other day I shot a 77round the local, was happy that I was improving and it felt pretty decent.
Following week and I didn't think I changed anything in my preparations / setup but I just couldn't get the slice or scuffing shots out of the game. Got a 90

Somsthing was different but I could tell what and it's frustrating to know you can play better but aren't.

All I can do is give you more tales of inconstancy I'm afraid:

Today on the local track I did the following.

Chipped in (for a double bogey)
Drove 350 yards (down an adjacent fairway, 3 off the tee and found a downslope at 300 yards - I ain't Bryson)
Drove a par 4 green twice (3 putted twice)
Got my worst score this year - 98.

Oh golf!

Soldato
I find golf to be incredibly enigmatic. Almost like the second I think I have solved my issues, the feeling of skill or attempts at skill, seem to actually make me worse..
I think what I might start doing is actually ignoring the course around me, pick a direction and just attempt to smoothly play it down that channel.

Associate
Just won my first comp., practice paying off.

41 points, with a gross 80 nett 65 off the comp tees (handicap index 13.5, playing handicap of 15 based on slope rating).

Birdied the first, 8 pars, one blob. Back 9 five of the pars on the trot.

Didn't feel like I played spectacular, but all parts of the game working well enough, I think that's the trick with golf, no point having an epic part of your game if other parts really let you down, steady all round does it, and that's what I did today - when I played a slight duff, forget about it and play in the moment on the next shot without dwelling on the last, and most importantly, don't play the hero shots (i.e. if you've got 250 yards to green from the trees in the rough, just chip the damn thing out and move on - unless you're John Rahm lol), get the ball back in play.

Underboss
41 points is good going, with WHS scoring now it looks like early 40s win most of the comps at my club.

Still wallowing around 7.5HC, goes up and down like rollercoaster at the moment. Still need to get fitted but the motivation isn't there, if I buy now I'll be waiting until Sept/Oct time no doubt.

Associate

I've started playing a consistent ball position, a club head width off my left heel for all shots (but I just widen the stance with my right foot as the club length gets longer). So the low point of my swing is always consistent with the ball position, removes a variable from my game, find it's helping me loads.

Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus played the same way, probably not for everyone but give it a shot.

My bad shot was a fat shot, or a shank to the right, and I think the cause was having the ball too far back in my stance and my muscles trying to manipulate the club to hit the ball, now I've got the ball in the same place I feel like I've got more room to naturally bring the clubface square at the point of ball compression, rather than trying to force it.

Associate
41 points is good going, with WHS scoring now it looks like early 40s win most of the comps at my club.

Still wallowing around 7.5HC, goes up and down like rollercoaster at the moment. Still need to get fitted but the motivation isn't there, if I buy now I'll be waiting until Sept/Oct time no doubt.

Thanks Josh, chuffed with the result, 7.5 is a great handicap, hope I can get down to your level.

**Edit - been cut to 10 handicap index from 13.5 after the win, gonna be tougher for me now but I hope I can maintain it and go into single figures, will feel like a real achievement**

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Josh, chuffed with the result, 7.5 is a great handicap, hope I can get down to your level.

**Edit - been cut to 10 handicap index from 13.5 after the win, gonna be tougher for me now but I hope I can maintain it and go into single figures, will feel like a real achievement**

that's some cut - was that done on the WHS or extra cut from the committee?

Soldato
Still need to get fitted but the motivation isn't there, if I buy now I'll be waiting until Sept/Oct time no doubt.

for sure....I've been fitted and order 18th May for Pin i210's - still waiting....Pro says it's a nightmare - timescales all over the place....Itching to get them before the summers over!

Underboss
@booyaka - yep hearing much the same from my local pro. 8 weeks for a set of 13 grips!!

The way I see it my iBlades have got me this far so I can hold off through winter with them easily. I don't think I need to change anything, more a "tune up" really. I worked in Golf and Custom Fitting way back in my teens so have a good idea of what fits me and my scores seem to match that at the moment.

Although my putting has gone to the dogs recently...

Associate
that's some cut - was that done on the WHS or extra cut from the committee?

Just automated as far as I know, came through really quickly. I did play well the Sunday before as well though, 9th out of 130 in a trophy medal comp, so the graph on the My EG app has nose dived, so perhaps that had an influence - expecting progress to slow down now though. Was 15.9 about six weeks ago so have improved rapidly while I've been getting back into the game.

Soldato
Just automated as far as I know, came through really quickly. I did play well the Sunday before as well though, 9th out of 130 in a trophy medal comp, so the graph on the My EG app has nose dived, so perhaps that had an influence - expecting progress to slow down now though. Was 15.9 about six weeks ago so have improved rapidly while I've been getting back into the game.

Some cut in 6 weeks!

I shot 74 gross last Friday on Seafield (par 68) playing off 9.6. Went up to 10.0 the next morning when I checked....

Then NR'd on Sunday off 10.0 and came down 0.1..... Go figure that out:p:p

Associate
Some cut in 6 weeks!

I shot 74 gross last Friday on Seafield (par 68) playing off 9.6. Went up to 10.0 the next morning when I checked....

Then NR'd on Sunday off 10.0 and came down 0.1..... Go figure that out:p:p

Would have expected a cut from your below par nett and then an increase off the following round.....very odd lol!

Yep, mega reduction in the last six weeks, but to be fair I've been playing a while but only joined the club in April following a long hiatus from club play, so have been finding my game again. Pretty much there now, so improvements will really slow down now from this point on.

Associate
Came 3rd yesterday in the 9 hole twilight stableford, 19 points and gross of 40, so nett 35 (par of 36 over the 9), now officially joined the single figure club at 9.8 (cut from 10), well chuffed!

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Went for a fitting earlier. Ordered a G425 Max Driver (10.5) / Tensei Orange, G425 SFT (3W) / Tensei Orange and a G425 3H / Tensei Orange.

Canny wait!

Soldato
Went for a fitting earlier. Ordered a G425 Max Driver (10.5) / Tensei Orange, G425 SFT (3W) / Tensei Orange and a G425 3H / Tensei Orange.

Canny wait!

Splashing the cash! Enjoy

Love my G425 3 wood, same Tensei orange Stiff shaft.... REALLY want the driver but need to wait for my irons first (nearly 2 months waiting now)

Why the LST 3 wood?

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Splashing the cash! Enjoy

Love my G425 3 wood, same Tensei orange Stiff shaft.... REALLY want the driver but need to wait for my irons first (nearly 2 months waiting now)

Why the LST 3 wood?

That's not including the £700 on T300s (AMT Black) and £700 on 3x Vokeys and a Cobra Supernova :cry:.

SFT (Straight Flight Tech) 3W was the better performer for me, as opposed to the Max. Think the wider head compared to the deeper one on the Max gave me a little bit more forgiveness.

Just gotta play the waiting game now, fitter said 8-12 week wait but a friend of mine recently got a G425 5W and waited 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom