Mountain Biking

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm amazed that those have lasted so little time. My halfords special Carrera is still going strong after years!

I am certain it's from the day I once blasted the hub area with a pressure washer and ever since the bearings have clattered as I imagine the grease was forced out by the water and as such have worn over the months. It's cone and cap secured on the Joytech hub so no matter what the bearings were gonna wear from dust/water ingress or the cap being too tight so bearings rubbing against each other with too much friction. Glad to be seeing the end of them really with a modern hub!

Just whack some grease in them? Only take 5 minutes.

I had to do that for my frame bearings, while I waited 4 weeks for them to turn up!

They've been greased already, the bearings really are on the way.

Caporegime
Just got back from glentress and Innerleithen. I forgot how much of a step up inners is over glentress. Terrifying. Awesome... But terrifying for an old duffer like me haha

Inners dh? Or the red trail?

I went and done Golfie the other week (across the road from the inners trail) and I think it's the best single track I've ever rode. That area is littered with trails, glentress blacks and the old ews stuff is absolutely gold too.

Well worth a trip back for the golfie, I'm desperate to get back for some more.

Associate
inners dh is really good, but the golfie is even better. did both in may for the first time this year and was hoping to get up again about now but haven't had time. racing is starting soon with a lot of events in a short period of time, best ones will be the 3 tweedlove races up there. planning on going up to watch the EWS as well.

Associate
Few bits of progress on the new build today, ordered the last couple of bits and started moving stuff around but ran into one issue - the 'tubeless' tyres I ordered from CRC for the hardtail, listed wrongly it seems as they're not at all tubeless. Bead constantly leaked no matter what I did on the front tyre, only then I noticed the tyre doesn't have TCS on it anywhere (WTB tyre, so all their tubeless ones are marked as such). So, some sealant filled tyres to be returned to CRC this week, ordered some Shwalbe Nobby Nic Addix to replace, which are tubeless.

Settled on sticking with 11spd on the new build, just as I can move over the XT bits and replace them with Deore bits on the hardtail. I did however order the Deore 11-51 cassette that will probably end up on the new one with a derailleur hanger extension (or I just use the M5100 RD on it and keep the M8000 on the HT). Bit unsure on that one yet.

Soldato
Inners dh? Or the red trail?

I went and done Golfie the other week (across the road from the inners trail) and I think it's the best single track I've ever rode. That area is littered with trails, glentress blacks and the old ews stuff is absolutely gold too.

Well worth a trip back for the golfie, I'm desperate to get back for some more.

Angry sheep and Cadon bank. I fractured my humerus about a year and a half ago and I've only just started getting back on my bike so my confidence still has some way to go. Couple that with being middle aged and with a young child I'm a lot more apprehensive these days.

I was going to do the golfie but my mate had never ridden a mountain bike trail before this weekend and I didn't expect him to survive it lol.

Soldato
Angry sheep is fantastic, it is a lot steeper than it looks on video but after a few runs I was really starting to get comfy with it. Some other trails in the valley though, hell no. I rode five year plan/hush hush at glentress, not sure how I survived.

Soldato
Angry sheep is fantastic, it is a lot steeper than it looks on video but after a few runs I was really starting to get comfy with it. Some other trails in the valley though, hell no. I rode five year plan/hush hush at glentress, not sure how I survived.

Yeah the steepness of angry sheep was surprising. Ill session it next time I'm up there but trying to make sure my mate got home in one piece was a priority lol.

One of my favourite trail sections was actually Betty Blue. Just loved how flowy it was and how the trees looked. Really nice. Some blue stuff is just really fun. Throw a few little jumps in here and there and cruise along.

Soldato
Yeah the steepness of angry sheep was surprising. Ill session it next time I'm up there but trying to make sure my mate got home in one piece was a priority lol.

One of my favourite trail sections was actually Betty Blue. Just loved how flowy it was and how the trees looked. Really nice. Some blue stuff is just really fun. Throw a few little jumps in here and there and cruise along.
There's one blue at Glentress which I thought was amazing, just endless swoopy berms. Can be ridden slow by pretty mush anyone, or fast by a good rider. TBH I'd say most of the Inners red would be suitable for a newish rider, just not the last section - the drops are big enough to scare me, and the ride arounds can be a bit steep for a new rider.

Associate
After requesting Superstar cancel my order due to the rapidly increased lead time (not advised when ordering) they've seemingly now opted to ignore my requests. It's a shame as their products seem genuinely good but flat out ignoring cancellation requests when your website misleads people as to availability is just poor form.

On a positive note, got my frame protection all done this weekend

IMG-20210626-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20210626-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20210626-WA0003.jpg

Slow job (2.5 hours) but it's looking good in my eyes now, the odd bubble I missed but nothing to lose sleep over. And no, the stand is not clamped on the coil spring, it's just resting in a way that it can't fall but can't be moved round either.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Angry sheep and Cadon bank. I fractured my humerus about a year and a half ago and I've only just started getting back on my bike so my confidence still has some way to go. Couple that with being middle aged and with a young child I'm a lot more apprehensive these days.

I was going to do the golfie but my mate had never ridden a mountain bike trail before this weekend and I didn't expect him to survive it lol.

That stuff looks good, I need to get on an uplift up there soon!

After requesting Superstar cancel my order due to the rapidly increased lead time (not advised when ordering) they've seemingly now opted to ignore my requests. It's a shame as their products seem genuinely good but flat out ignoring cancellation requests when your website misleads people as to availability is just poor form.

Slow job (2.5 hours) but it's looking good in my eyes now, the odd bubble I missed but nothing to lose sleep over. And no, the stand is not clamped on the coil spring, it's just resting in a way that it can't fall but can't be moved round either.

Looks good that! Yeah, good products - terrible customer service. Won't be bothering with them again.

Soldato
What have you ordered? Or attempted to order...

Soldato
Wheels. Everything listed in stock when ordering and then after payment I get told the boost rear hubs are on backorder until late August. So reasonably I ask to cancel to then just be ignored.
Cancel the card you used with them and order else where. I havent used them for years for a similar reason, much better service from Uberbikecomponents.

Man of Honour
Both Glentree and Innerleithen are brilliant for a weekend trip, a few years back we had some OcUK MTB meets there, staying in the Glentress wigwams, was always a brilliant weekend and something for every riding ability!

Soldato
Both Glentree and Innerleithen are brilliant for a weekend trip, a few years back we had some OcUK MTB meets there, staying in the Glentress wigwams, was always a brilliant weekend and something for every riding ability!
I remember that was a great weekend fair few years ago now though.

Soldato

IMG-20210626-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20210626-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20210626-WA0003.jpg

Ooh, bare naked carbon...

And a threaded BB, oh for one of them. Currently at war with my PF BB and its welded in crankset. Don't ask
.. :rolleyes:

Associate
Ooh, bare naked carbon...

And a threaded BB, oh for one of them. Currently at war with my PF BB and its welded in crankset. Don't ask
.. :rolleyes:
Press fit BBs immediately disqualified any frame from consideration :p

Reckon it'll need a coil spring though, think the 550lb stock one will be a bit soft. Doing calculations on TF Tuned puts my ideal spring as 620lbs for this setup. Will however look for a progressive one I think, or you can also get an aftermarket progressive linkage (also adds 10mm rear travel)

Soldato
I've only used on PF BB and never have an issue with creak or anything for that matter. I was expecting to have issues after everything I'd read online but I wouldn't be surprised if half the issue people have is due to poorly fitted BBs

Soldato
I've only used on PF BB and never have an issue with creak or anything for that matter. I was expecting to have issues after everything I'd read online but I wouldn't be surprised if half the issue people have is due to poorly fitted BBs
Not had any creaking, but both BB's I've had the bearings have lasted 6 months, then a year before getting play in them. A 24mm or Dub crank is probably fine, but mine is a 30mm crank in a PF41/92 BB, so that leaves 5.5mm for the outer race, bearings and seal, and inner race. You can't get away from physics, there just isn't enough room to have decent bearings and a good seal. Hence I'm moving to a 24mm crank with a Hope PF BB when I finally manage to remove this one.

Back
Top Bottom