When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Off to Somerset for a week tomorrow, which will be a good test of what it's like using an EV in more remote places, with less charging points. It's slight worrying how sparse zapmap is in the area we're staying.

It's 200 miles to our accommodation and I expect we will do at least 400 miles whilst there, as there will be trips to Dorset and Devon too.

Associate
Think the "S" is the sweetspot, but if can get the Turbo then :cool:

Looked at the Turbo S, but the range is quite a drop and also you only get the extra Horse Power in Launch Mode, normal driving is the same between the S and Turbo. Even some youtube launch videos show minimal difference. So when for the Turbo, also the White callipers goes better then yellow :p

Soldato
Off to Somerset for a week tomorrow, which will be a good test of what it's like using an EV in more remote places, with less charging points. It's slight worrying how sparse zapmap is in the area we're staying.

It's 200 miles to our accommodation and I expect we will do at least 400 miles whilst there, as there will be trips to Dorset and Devon too.
What's the backup plan? Granny lead from your accommodation?

Soldato
What's the backup plan? Granny lead from your accommodation?

No back up plan. I feel like having to worry about a back up plan just makes the EV experience almost pointless, so I'm going to purely rely on the existing charging network.

There's a genie point 50kw charger at a Morrisons 3 miles away from where we're staying so I plan to utilise that when I nip to get food. I'll also just incorporate charges into the day trips and keep it topped up whilst out and about.

Soldato
No back up plan. I feel like having to worry about a back up plan just makes the EV experience almost pointless, so I'm going to purely rely on the existing charging network.

There's a genie point 50kw charger at a Morrisons 3 miles away from where we're staying so I plan to utilise that when I nip to get food. I'll also just incorporate charges into the day trips and keep it topped up whilst out and about.
Best of luck :p

Associate

You'll be fine! I always have the Granny in the car anyway, but Genie is pretty good in my experience. Just hope some numpty doesn't ICE it when you want to use it. Other people's selfishness is often a worse hazard than unreliability!

Soldato
You'll be fine! I always have the Granny in the car anyway, but Genie is pretty good in my experience. Just hope some numpty doesn't ICE it when you want to use it. Other people's selfishness is often a worse hazard than unreliability!
Haha the biggest complaints I've noticed from BEV drivers are when PHEV drivers hog the chargers - there's no love lost there at all

Caporegime
Haha the biggest complaints I've noticed from BEV drivers are when PHEV drivers hog the chargers - there's no love lost there at all

That will be me soon :) And I plan to hog the supermarket ones every time I am there. At least I have a reasonable excuse having a battery in my hybrid bigger than some peoples EV.

Soldato
Its pretty ironic though because when you think about it a PHEV driver is much more likely to benefit from topping up regularly than most BEV drivers. There seems to be a lot of "I charge up for free when I'm in the supermarket because I can" comments, which are fair enough but you can't really complain if a PHEV driver is charging up so they can do the journey home without firing up the ICE.

Associate
Its pretty ironic though because when you think about it a PHEV driver is much more likely to benefit from topping up regularly than most BEV drivers. There seems to be a lot of "I charge up for free when I'm in the supermarket because I can" comments, which are fair enough but you can't really complain if a PHEV driver is charging up so they can do the journey home without firing up the ICE.

This is completely true, buuuut what about that one time as a BEV driver you just need the extra 20-30 miles to get home? It's totally on all of us to try and not be arses, and the supermarkets to invest in as many spots as possible.

Caporegime
This is completely true, buuuut what about that one time as a BEV driver you just need the extra 20-30 miles to get home? It's totally on all of us to try and not be arses, and the supermarkets to invest in as many spots as possible.

I have sympathy but I can get to the supermarket and back home on electric only if i charge there otherwise I will have to buy fuel. So I am going to use the chargers.

Soldato

Whats being an arse about a PHEV driver charging up their car, just because someone is low on juice. How are they supposed to know?

Soldato
Aren't smkt charging spaces mostly bigger, so you would scan them first - less chance of dings w/ easy loading;
+ on holiday, if you can find out what the average occupancy is, up front, presumably you can choose the best Tescos.

Nissan - even if batteries are built here , what % of the component supply line for, apparently shared renault / nissan /mits platform be here/europe/elsewhere ?

Soldato
Whats being an arse about a PHEV driver charging up their car, just because someone is low on juice. How are they supposed to know?

I could their issue at a motorway service station where a PHEV is pulling 10kw from the only working DC rapid charger may grind peoples gears especially if is a perfectly good 7kw AC post on the same unit but that scenario is largely being resolved with more chargers and most PHEV drivers don’t bother using them because the old ones are terrible :p

But yeh on a 7kw AC post in Tesco? Who cares, the same could be said about an EV driver who parks their car their for 8 hours to go from empty to full. If it’s being used, it’s being used, it’s better than it being iced…

Soldato
Looked at the Turbo S, but the range is quite a drop and also you only get the extra Horse Power in Launch Mode, normal driving is the same between the S and Turbo. Even some youtube launch videos show minimal difference. So when for the Turbo, also the White callipers goes better then yellow :p

Sorry, I meant the "4S", not the "Turbo S"

Associate
So car is being delivered tomorrow between 9-14:00.

Currently have no way of charging at home but have ordered a Hypervolt 7KW home charger to be installed on 13th July.

Looking forward to electric car ownership.
How much for the install of you don't mind?
I'm looking for a wall charger but a few quotes so far have took the mick.

Scottish Power offer install at £579 but I'm dubious if they had it towards being tied in with their services.

Soldato
Unless all BEV and PHEV drivers suddenly become telepathic or join the worlds biggest WhatsApp group, how would they ever know who has the biggest need for a particular charger? While it is a pain for the early adopters a bit of demand out stripping supply in the charging network is what's required to really get the infrastructure growing. Mr Tesco isn't going to whack in another dozen chargers when the four they have sit at 15% occupancy.

Soldato
Agreed but I suppose what they should do is charge a reasonable price for the power supplied so discourage people who don’t really need to charge from using the points.

Free chargers creates demand that wouldn’t ordinarily be there from people who don’t really need it.

E.g. Tesla owner turns up for their weekly shop, has home charging and battery has 70% charge. They plug in because free juice. @Greebo turns up in his PHEV and not can’t use the charger but plugging in would have got him home on electric and would have been cheaper than petrol.

Soldato
Agreed but I suppose what they should do is charge a reasonable price for the power supplied so discourage people who don’t really need to charge from using the points.

Free chargers creates demand that wouldn’t ordinarily be there from people who don’t really need it.

E.g. Tesla owner turns up for their weekly shop, has home charging and battery has 70% charge. They plug in because free juice. @Greebo turns up in his PHEV and not can’t use the charger but plugging in would have got him home on electric and would have been cheaper than petrol.
Absolutely. The sweet spot would be somewhere between the cost of standard rate electricity and the petrol equivalent. Enough to put someone off with home charging (but not be a complete rip off if they do need to top up their BEV) but still represent a decent saving over the equivalent petrol ppm.

Back
Top Bottom