• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do AMD GPUs do better than Nvidia GPUs?

Soldato
I'm curious, really. Are there any tasks that AMD GPUs really help with when compared to an Nvidia GPU? I'm thinking of getting the 6900XT and was wondering if there was anything that would help me make the decision? I use Linux on my computers.

Caporegime
The answer is pretty much the same as "What do unicorns do better than Nvidia GPUs?"

The other answer is, "They make fairly good consoles."

My first answer is wrong tho if you don't mind paying 2x the RRP. Or more.

Their raster performance is decent and as good as Nvidia are bringing currently. Do you care at all about current-gen ray-tracing?

Traditionally I think nV has been better supported on Linux? Closed-source drivers but they always "just worked". AMD had/has open-source drivers but they sucked quite a bit. Not sure if that's changed since I was mucking about with Linux a few years ago.

e: I think they're a teensy bit more power efficient than Nv but not to any significant degree.

Associate
Pure rasta latest and cards are neck and neck with Nvidia , ray tracing not so much bit still playable

Can come down to price and performance really AMD drivers have comeong way too ironically latest AMD cards do well with overclocking and temp wise great also

If you have a deep wallet with no money concerns might be worth going with nvidia

Man of Honour
Black screens (too soon? :p)

AMD have some good board partners like Sapphire that rarely make a dodgy card.

Freesync used to be more accessible, but not sure if it is now.

Soldato
I'm curious, really. Are there any tasks that AMD GPUs really help with when compared to an Nvidia GPU? I'm thinking of getting the 6900XT and was wondering if there was anything that would help me make the decision? I use Linux on my computers.

Lower power use

Better at 1080p and 1440p normally with RT off than Nvidia.

Depends if you like the more modern driver control panel.

Cheaper normally than the same range Nvidia.

BUT

If you plan to game at 4K and want to use RT a lot Nvidia are better in general and then you have all the Nvidia features that you may find useful.

Soldato
heat rooms? :D

be in stock because no one wants them?

Black screens (too soon? :p)

;):cry::p

you-know-you-in-trouble-right.jpg

@LtMatt heads up ...:cry:

Last edited:
Man of Honour

If you use linux then the amd driver is open source and embedded in the kernel, The open source linux vulkan driver is often a reason people like AMD on linux. They are or where considered more "plug and play" than NV under linux. Until somebody comes along and tells me otherwise :D

Associate
If you use linux then the amd driver is open source and embedded in the kernel, The open source linux vulkan driver is often a reason people like AMD on linux. They are or where considered more "plug and play" than NV under linux. Until somebody comes along and tells me otherwise :D

No, that sums it up quite nicely. Good job.

Associate
ive seen less complaints of failing gpus from AMD this gen than i have of nvidia ones on this forum.

AMD has a far better control panel.

AMD has better non ray tracing performance this gen according to many of the reviews.

AMD has more VRAM.

Associate
In the last generation they were cost for cost better for rasterisation. the 5700xt was a bargain, especially against the current pricing issues.
I had tonnes of black screen issues with mine so it was sold on, was a beast of a card though.
In the current gen they don't seem to be competing well to me, I would take a 3060ti over a 6700xt (at MSRP)

The GCN cards were a fantastic used buy until very recently as they were still receiving driver support. I have a little suite of 7870 equipped machines at work for 1080p esports titles and they really do punch above their weight considering their age. Had driver support far longer than the equivalent NVIDIA

Associate
The 6900xt is AMD's 3090 .. so in this case that's not right, the same tier card for Nvidia is the 3090 with 24GB VRAM , so the 6900XT doesn't have more VRAM at 16GB.

I'd argue the 3090 is a tier above the 6900 XT, the latter costs about £1800 for a top end AIO model currently where the former starts at £2k with the AIO card in stock here costing £2400, a good 33% for an AIB card of an equivalent level. The 3090 FE is a different prospect of course.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The 6900xt is AMD's 3090 .. so in this case that's not right, the same tier card for Nvidia is the 3090 with 24GB VRAM , so the 6900XT doesn't have more VRAM at 16GB.

6900 xt is 3080 ti competitor

Soldato
I'd argue the 3090 is a tier above the 6900 XT, the latter costs about £1800 for a top end AIO model currently where the former starts at £2k with the AIO card in stock here costing £2400, a good 33% for an AIB card of an equivalent level. The 3090 FE is a different prospect of course.

Yes I agree but we all know AMD sold the 6900XT as the 3090 Killer and to compete with it.

AMD 6800XT is basically the Nvidia 3080

AMD 6800 is basically the Nvidia 3070-3070Ti

AMD 6700 is basically the Nvidia 3060-3060Ti

But what maybe more correct now is the 6900XT really competes with the 3080Ti and then the VRAM is better on the AMD 6900XT.

But again when AMD released the 6900XT it was targetting the 3090 as there was no 3080Ti.

Today I would say you are right in that statement more VRAM but on release day to the release of the 3080Ti the 6900XT was loosing on the VRAM to a 3090.

Associate
Today I would say you are right in that statement more VRAM but on release day to the release of the 3080Ti the 6900XT was loosing on the VRAM to a 3090.

I'd agree with that. Not that any of these cards have insufficient VRAM at this stage, I'm sure we can all agree. Potentially the 3080 for some more niche scenarios, but there's a whole thread about that and I don't want to derail this one.

Back
Top Bottom