what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
Thanks! At one time there were a lot more but I started selling them off. I just don't see the need to have so many any longer but I can't bring myself to sell the rest.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Melomania 1+ have had several hours of usage today.

They are impressive for their size and the comfort is very good with the memory foam tips. For the first few hours I noticed a distinct missing clarity in the sound over the Jaybird X3, the soundstage is not as wide and the treble range isn't as crisp as the X3 even after tweaking the EQ. I need a bit more time with them, the voice call quality is on par with the X3 but callers tell me the Huawei Freebuds 4 voice clarity is night and day to the Melomania and they even prefer the FB4 to the phone's built in mic...

I like the app, nicely polished and initially I had BT disconnections when the right bud was the master but removing the left first from the case so it become master has shown no disconnections since so I will just use that way. I have a Bluetooth 5 dongle coming later for my PC as I want to test how it sounds in apps and for PC usage over BT5 and after that will decide if I want to keep or not. If I return I'll go for the Galaxy Buds Pro but I think I can get used to this new sound signature just like I did with the X3 back in the day when I got those. My ears need time to adjust to them first.

The charging case on the Huawei feels more premium though and the door hinge is better articulated, although the physical buttons on the 1+ are superior to touch gestures which are fiddly IMO.

Overall for £90 they're impressive, call quality isn't poor, just not as HD as the Huawei.

Samples recorded using the Samsung Voice Recorder app: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yizqJyidHQ9z75JopPd6sgo-_8Y1iP0B?usp=sharing

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Slight update.... I bought the Buds Pro and none of the included ear tips fit, and as there are no wings on this, there's no secure fit without snug fitting tips. @Parsley linked me to some memory foam tips that should work which I have ordered but I have since seen the JayBird Vista 2 which appear to be getting universal praise for the musical quality and fit (has wings). As I know Jaybird sound having had the X3, I think I will order these and see what's what. The other bonus being the charging case is waterproof as well and has a little lanyard loop for extra security.

The Buds Pro mic quality has been added to the Drive link above and is clearly the winner so far with the phone's built in mic being the most clear.

Vista 2 is more expensive, but the sound appears to be up there?

Soldato
Got a pair of DT990s at the weekend, been getting into messing around in Ableton more and have been wanting some wired headphones for a while to replace the WH1000XM3s that I'd rather save for other uses.

Nice to have open back again. Not sure I'd use them for music listening as they're very bright at the mo, perhaps they'll mellow a bit.

Actually, been sat here listening to some Black Keys....they do sound pretty good for the money.

Last edited:

PoD

PoD

Associate
I own:
  • Shure SE215 - For exercise, although they dont sit well in my ears.
  • Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 2nd Gen Over-Ear Headphones - For travel because they are light, fold and although a little light sounding they provide just enough isolation to block out the norms and perps.
  • Sennheiser HD6xx - For smooth mids and to take with me when I work away.
  • Audeze lCD-2 2020 - For the delicious bass and fun tinkering with EQ.
  • Q Accousitcs 3020i's and 3030i's for my speakers, I will be getting a centre and possibly a sub in the future.
Pretty happy with my collection, they all provide 'clean' music and compliment well.

I will probably play around with amps and dacs before getting anything else and also I cant really justify the next tier up.

Soldato
Got a pair of DT990s...

Nice to have open back again. Not sure I'd use them for music listening as they're very bright at the mo, perhaps they'll mellow a bit.

Actually, been sat here listening to some Black Keys....they do sound pretty good for the money.

I think I burned mine in using mixture of stuff like Black Keys, Tame Impala, bass heavy dance music and that left them sounding pretty good and much less bright. :)

Soldato
Added the Thieaudio Clairvoyance IEMs to my collection along with the FiiO M11 Plus DAP. The DAP not that much of an improvement over my old M11 Pro, very incremental, but the IEMs are about as far as I am willing to go with IEMs and they're fabulous with a dynamic driver, 5 Balanced Armature drivers and 2 electrostatic drivers in the shells.

My collection now:
Focal Utopia, Focal Stellia, Thieaudio Clairvoyance and using these with either Bluesound Node 2i > Focal Arche or FiiO M11 Plus DAP.

Soldato
Some end game phones there, but I am curious as to why you have the Utopia and Stellia?
They compliment each other. I had the Utopia first and loved it. Wanted a closed back too last year so went for the Stellia, sound signature is similar to Utopia but with the added warmth you get with closed backs.

With a baby and summers with air con etc a Stellia is very useful! Utopia is the king and my all time favourite but if I could only keep one I couldn't live without the Stellia.

Soldato
I think I burned mine in using mixture of stuff like Black Keys, Tame Impala, bass heavy dance music and that left them sounding pretty good and much less bright. :)

I've been learning my way round Operator in Ableton the past week so been giving them a good thrashing :)

I'm amazed how much they're mellowed out, they're really unpleasantly bright at first. Worth noting for anyone auditioning the DT990s.

Really need a DAC sorting out now...

Soldato
Can someone recommend me a dac to partner the drop Thx789 amp with sen 650 ? It’s my 2nd system I use to play hiDef flac music via my Panasonic ub820 USB port.

While the dac in the panny is probably ok… I’m sure even a schiit modi3 will be miles better. Any opinions?

PoD

PoD

Associate
Can someone recommend me a dac to partner the drop Thx789 amp with sen 650 ? It’s my 2nd system I use to play hiDef flac music via my Panasonic ub820 USB port.

While the dac in the panny is probably ok… I’m sure even a schiit modi3 will be miles better. Any opinions?
ifi do some good DAC's that are on the same line.

The ifi Zen DAC is an amp as well and 'fixes' the lack of bass that the 650's suffer from.

The most popular DAC's at the 'mid-fi' level at the moment are the RME's ADI-2 DAC FS or the Denafrips Ares II

PoD

PoD

Associate
I’ve never heard anyone say the hd650 suffer from a lack of bass :D QUOTE]

I own the 650 and it definitely lacks bass, that is to say that it isn't missing bass, but it just isn't very present. The 650 is great because it has smooth mids and works with anything.

I have the ifi ZEN Dac v2 and it improves the bass on the 650 quite a bit.

Soldato
I own the 650 and it definitely lacks bass, that is to say that it isn't missing bass, but it just isn't very present. The 650 is great because it has smooth mids and works with anything.

I have the ifi ZEN Dac v2 and it improves the bass on the 650 quite a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion , but I just need a dac . The drop thx789 has more than enough power. I still think your mixing headphones up as I’ve owned the hd600 as well . The mids are definitely better in the 600 with more bass in the 650.

Soldato
Shure Aonic 50s incoming!

The specs and recent price dump was too good to resist.

Not a fan of these at all and made me appreciate the Surface Headphone 2 a lot more.

The Shures have an overly flat sound with very little bass depth and reverb. They don't respond to Eq either. The control buttons lack good feel and feedback.

Really impressed with the Surface 2. Very enjoyable sound after EQ, they look good plus the rotary controls are perfectly implemented, ahem B&O H95.

Soldato
Just a heads up

Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3 are £175 (half price) with code GOAL21 direct from Sennheiser website.

They do high res over USB-C which apparently sounds excellent.

Ordered them in white.

Soldato
Decided it was time for some new shiny stuff to replace my Schiit Modi Multibit and Asgard 3 and the new kids on the block are the SMSL SU-9 DAC and the matching SH-9 headphone amp. Result is more detail and stronger, snappier bass plus a shed load of features. I really like the digital stepped attenuator on the amp, not the slightest hint of channel imbalance anywhere and having the volume displayed on the screen is like a new toy. The DAC is uses an ES9038PRO chip but has none of the traditional Sabre glare, it's nice and smooth but with plenty of detail.

Bonus is there is incredible synergy with my Beyer DT1990 pro's, they sound phenomenal. :)
Don't suppose your shiit dac and amp are going on the members market?

Back
Top Bottom