*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I'm not sure if I want one or not.

I rarely use mine handheld but that's partly because I found the screen a bit small and underwhelming, so I felt like didn't want to 'miss out' on playing games like BOTW on my TV... would the OLED be enough improvement to actually make me change habits now I wonder?

I thought botw ran better in handheld than docked, there was a few like that.

Soldato
would the OLED be enough improvement to actually make me change habits now I wonder?

Not at all, this isn't the first handheld to have an OLED screen, the PSP had one but people think it's going to look like some 2k LG OLED screen.

If you mainly use it docked the only difference is the option to use wired ethernet.

Associate
For me I use it handheld 95% of the time so I don't mind replacing it, can easily get some money back for the current one so it's not so bad. Don't usually like playing docked as the image blown up on a large 4k TV looks a bit crap where the tiny screen hides the lower quality visuals great and usually looks quite nice.

fez

fez

Caporegime
For me I use it handheld 95% of the time so I don't mind replacing it, can easily get some money back for the current one so it's not so bad. Don't usually like playing docked as the image blown up on a large 4k TV looks a bit crap where the tiny screen hides the lower quality visuals great and usually looks quite nice.

I'm not going to lie, I have only ever noticed that being an issue on weak ports that I have played. On things like mario kart, odyssey, zelda etc it looks amazing on a large TV because the graphic style suits it and its not trying to show detail it can't.

XCOM was quite painful at times but things like Bioshock were fine.

Soldato
I just had the Nintendo marketing email land in my inbox, it seems that this isn’t replacing the existing switch and will be a new addition to the line up for now.
Of course it ain't. I bet the entire reason why this "OLED version" even exist is to elevate the pricing, so they could price it EVEN HIGHER when they eventually release a proper upgrade that is Switch Pro (or whatever it is going to be called).

Feels like how Nvidia stacked 2000 series pricing on top of 1000 series pricings all over again lol

Soldato
Kinda hoping the do a upgraded switch at some point, but I think after 4 years already it would be unlikely but who knows.

Nintendo always do their own thing counter to what makes sense or what anyone else thinks and has often paid off.

My guess is they think they can go another year or two before introducing a higher spec model, it'll probably be a Switch 2 but hoping they'll keep backward compatibility.

Hardware is still selling well, software sales are huge, why change it now? The wants of the hardcore tech crowd are a small vocal minority compared to the millions of people quietly continuing to buy stuff.

Smyth's have preorders live, white out of stock but neon still available.

Nintendo also have a register your interest page up for pre-orders - https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/nintendo-switch-oled-model.html

Thanks for the link. I use my Switch in docked mode 95% of the time, but I do take it to my parents every month or so. The 7" screen would be a boost for my low vision. I have registered my interest. Hopefully Nintendo will have a flag on my account as being a genuine customer as I have ordered from their store before.

Presumably the existing Pro controller will continue to work with it?

What would be the best way to transfer save date between consoles? Does it need the Nintendo online account or is an SD card sufficient? Saved games I need would mainly be Mario Odyssey, 3D All-Stars (Mario Galaxy), Super 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Super Mario Party, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda Link's Awakening and Sonic Mania Plus. Not essential, but the progress on 51 Worldwide Games would be nice to have saved as well.

Associate
Transfering accounts to a new switch seem straight forward enough watching this video. But it seems transferring all digital games is a pain, unless I'm wrong I can't just transfer the data then pop in my current SD Card and launch games as reading around it seems the card data (mainly the game data) is tied to the switch it was on and the game data itself needs wiping and redownloading again. This will be the most annoying as I will have to download around 400GB worth of game data again.

If I can max out my connection that would be about 1hr 40mins which isn't bad, but if the current crappy wifi hardware is in the new switch is identical which I bet it will be, I'll be capped to about 60Mbps, and at that speeds it's almost 16hrs of worth of downloading :(

I don't own a single physical game as I don't like switching things out, plus I'd have to carry a stupid amount of games around when they are all stored on the device.

If the games are encrypted to the hardware its on, surely Nintendo could transfer the encryption keys over to a new switch when you transfer accounts as this would make transferring SD Cards so much easier.

Associate
Transfering accounts to a new switch seem straight forward enough watching this video. But it seems transferring all digital games is a pain, unless I'm wrong I can't just transfer the data then pop in my current SD Card and launch games as reading around it seems the card data (mainly the game data) is tied to the switch it was on and the game data itself needs wiping and redownloading again. This will be the most annoying as I will have to download around 400GB worth of game data again.

If I can max out my connection that would be about 1hr 40mins which isn't bad, but if the current crappy wifi hardware is in the new switch is identical which I bet it will be, I'll be capped to about 60Mbps, and at that speeds it's almost 16hrs of worth of downloading :(

I don't own a single physical game as I don't like switching things out, plus I'd have to carry a stupid amount of games around when they are all stored on the device.

If the games are encrypted to the hardware its on, surely Nintendo could transfer the encryption keys over to a new switch when you transfer accounts as this would make transferring SD Cards so much easier.

Surely if it's the new OLED version you can take advantage of the LAN port and do all the downloads while docked? :)

Soldato
Thanks for the link. I use my Switch in docked mode 95% of the time, but I do take it to my parents every month or so. The 7" screen would be a boost for my low vision. I have registered my interest. Hopefully Nintendo will have a flag on my account as being a genuine customer as I have ordered from their store before.

Presumably the existing Pro controller will continue to work with it?

What would be the best way to transfer save date between consoles? Does it need the Nintendo online account or is an SD card sufficient? Saved games I need would mainly be Mario Odyssey, 3D All-Stars (Mario Galaxy), Super 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Super Mario Party, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda Link's Awakening and Sonic Mania Plus. Not essential, but the progress on 51 Worldwide Games would be nice to have saved as well.

Your Pro Controller will work fine, you'll just need to pair it to the new console.

As per the video Raiden posted transfering your account and save data is fairly simple, but the games aren't transferred, you need to re-download these.

My concern is Animal Crossing, there is an island transfer tool but I'm a bit confused, do you transfer your user first and then use the tool or what?

I don't know why there isn't a simple process to clone one Switch to another, but Nintendo have been useless with digital ownership and accounts for years.

Soldato
Was just thinking, 30FPS games are even worse on OLED tv due to the pixel response, it's like playing in a slideshow. Will the OLEd Switch not suffer from this issue considering the poor framrates on most of it's games? I'm not good with tv tech so correct me if I'm wrong, I just know that 30fps were way more tolerable on my other TV and monitor.

Back
Top Bottom