• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Apple M1 Performance

Soldato
It is not, however, as fast as the 5950x workstation

Noooo? The 4(4) core ~39 watt mobile SoC isn't as fast as your 32 core 105 watt desktop CPU? :eek: :D I know what you meant, of course. I only replied because, tbh, it's impressive in its own right that you're able to compare them in the same sentence. Great little chips imo, and I'll be snapping one up when M1X hits to replace my aged mid-2012 Core i5 MBP. It should bring my mobile more on par with (but not close to) my Threadripper desktop. ATM it's like stepping out of an Aston and into a Lada. :p

Associate
Noooo? The 4(4) core ~39 watt mobile SoC isn't as fast as your 32 core 105 watt desktop CPU? :eek: :D I know what you meant, of course. I only replied because, tbh, it's impressive in its own right that you're able to compare them in the same sentence. Great little chips imo, and I'll be snapping one up when M1X hits to replace my aged mid-2012 Core i5 MBP. It should bring my mobile more on par with (but not close to) my Threadripper desktop. ATM it's like stepping out of an Aston and into a Lada. :p

Haha.

Yeah my air replaced my late 2013 i5 MBPr, which was still just about hanging in there as a viable backup/mobile work machine. The new Air is lovely in comparison. I would have hung on for the meatier pro models in the pipeline, but it's likely my company won't exist by the time they come around and I wanted to get something before I could no longer get the VAT back...

Soldato
Haha.

Yeah my air replaced my late 2013 i5 MBPr, which was still just about hanging in there as a viable backup/mobile work machine. The new Air is lovely in comparison. I would have hung on for the meatier pro models in the pipeline, but it's likely my company won't exist by the time they come around and I wanted to get something before I could no longer get the VAT back...

Wise decision. The Air is a good shout (and no ridiculous touch bar) tbh. They're rumoured to be dropping the touch bar this year, so Pro may be worth a look. Else, an 8 core GPU Air would do me just fine for another decade. No moving parts, good CPU, proper scissor mechanism switches, epic battery, nice screen, Unix OS and Brew for all my little Precious... If they throw in 10Gb LAN I'd be sorted, but there's always a Thunderbolt NIC.

maxresdefault.jpg

Associate
Get to find out next week if work will allow me to wait a few months before getting my laptop, for now I’m hoping to use my personal one from 2019.

delaying they new pro wasn’t the best!

Soldato
That's easy.

The M1 chips are faster per core than Intel but Zen 3 is faster than the M1.

Not to take anything away from Apple, its impressive, but its says more about Intel than it does about Apple, Intel are falling behind.

I'm running at 4.85Ghz here, the 1165G7 4.7Ghz
At 5Ghz Zen 3 scores over 1700.
Add 15% to this when Zen3D hits, so around ~1900.

xxKkiMR.png

Bear in mind, that's Intel on a 10nm process. AMD use a 7nm process, so have an advantage. Speaks volumes of the architecture advantage Intel still have IMO.

Plus, that's just one benchmark. Throw any AVX workload in, Intel win.

Also, Intel outsupply AMD by 10 to 1 or more (AMD simply can't make enough CPU's/APU's) - this needs to be fixed should they want to continue with their current success.

Back
Top Bottom