• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090FE, 17xxMHz average in Valley? (Monitoring screenshot included)

Caporegime
I always run Nvidia cards at 90% or 95% power limit. I find it makes zero difference to the power available and sometimes allows them to boost higher. Yet keeps temps well in check.

Lower power limit to 90% and re-run the benchmark and then 95% and compare both to 100% scores.

The core needs to be kept cool to boost therefore less power is better.

Associate
OP
I always run Nvidia cards at 90% or 95% power limit. I find it makes zero difference to the power available and sometimes allows them to boost higher. Yet keeps temps well in check.

Lower power limit to 90% and re-run the benchmark and then 95% and compare both to 100% scores.

Interesting, will do.

Soldato
I have my 3080 under a loop now but it still hammers the power limit - just luck of the draw on silicon, I can stick it on 115% and temps are fine due to the loop but it won't hit 2000+ easily unless running at 1080p. Power hungry games like Metro enhanced can still drop under 1900 even at 360 watts.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to try and find a good undervolt for your particular card if you want to lower the temps - you can see the speeds in game/valley if you enable it in the OSD btw.

Associate
OP
If you pick a game that isn't too power hungry and the card isn't throttling on power, then assuming the temps are fine it'll simply run the best voltage it can and whatever clockspeed matches that voltage on the v/mhz curve (you can open this curve in Afterburner to see).

I'd guess that most of the YT videos involve games that aren't hard throttling much, leading to much more stable clockspeeds. Could you provide some links to examples?

Of course, if these gamers are more in the enthusiast crowd or have an interest in it, they may have a stable clockspeed because they've limited the conditions that cause the cards to bounce around. For example, my 3090 FE will generally run a fairly flat 2220-2250mhz because it's always running VRel/VOP, i.e. 1.1v. Temperature is handled by my watercooling and power by hard-modding the pcb, thereby eliminated the card's tendency to reduce voltage to external conditions, since those conditions don't exist anymore.

As regards your card, you should see the clocks flatten out a little bit by max'ing the power sliders since the need to throttle voltage in response to power draw will be less extreme. We just have to be careful not to push too hard since the memory is very hot there. Power and core offset will only affect the core, though, not the VRAM (I wouldn't recommend overclocking the memory given the temperature).
As requested.

Desk fan still blasting (trying to rule out heat as being a problem becuase thats a given)
+100 on core
Stock Fan Curve
Power/Temp Sliders stock
Temp Limit Prioritized

Overall core clock seems to be higher
51316896258_d4c96302e1_o.png

Associate
OP

Desk fan still blasting (trying to rule out heat as being a problem becuase thats a given)
Stock Fan Curve
Power Slider 95%
Temp Sliders stock
Power Limit Prioritized

Overall core clock seems to be lower
51316684641_7390da7ea5_o.png

Associate
OP
Just an obvious observation but even with the side panel off and a desk fan going full ham at the GPU, the top of that GPU is super hot to the touch :mad:

Soldato
before i ran my fe 3090 on water i saw my ram temps in the high 80's to low 90 region and that was gaming and benchmarking under stock conditions, whats troubling me is the op's card at stock config for the most part but the memory temps seem widly out of control, i'd take the backplate off the card and make sure there are pads underneath if so replace asap and try and get that ram running cooler

Associate
OP
before i ran my fe 3090 on water i saw my ram temps in the high 80's to low 90 region and that was gaming and benchmarking under stock conditions, whats troubling me is the op's card at stock config for the most part but the memory temps seem widly out of control, i'd take the backplate off the card and make sure there are pads underneath if so replace asap and try and get that ram running cooler
Well it's a brand new GPU so I would hope there are pads in there! It is unusually hot though the last few days so maybe they'll be lower when its cooler, that and of course my GPU is currenly being 'cooled' with hot air from my CPU rad, that is, when my side panel is back on and I'm not using a desk fan lol

Soldato
Well it's a brand new GPU so I would hope there are pads in there! It is unusually hot though the last few days so maybe they'll be lower when its cooler, that and of course my GPU is currenly being 'cooled' with hot air from my CPU rad, that is, when my side panel is back on and I'm not using a desk fan lol

if you can take the backplate off just to check its worth doing, i hope to god there are pads on it but if not rma the card explaing you have horendus memory temps, 115 degrees is the max gddr6x runs at so your close to wearing out your ram faster if it runs over 100 degrees

Associate
OP
if you can take the backplate off just to check its worth doing, i hope to god there are pads on it but if not rma the card explaing you have horendus memory temps, 115 degrees is the max gddr6x runs at so your close to wearing out your ram faster if it runs over 100 degrees
Taking the back ate off would require applying new thermal paste?

Back
Top Bottom