Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
So am I understanding correctly that as its a linux based system it will only play linux based games?

Whats the word on support for other game platforms like origin for example?

Soldato
Another thought I have is that it will have the same flaw as the wii-u.

The flaw been if you have any quality issues on the sticks, buttons or triggers, then the whole unit needs sending back, thats the advantage of switch design where they detachable?

If its ok at first but then they start to deteriorate after warranty ends, then even bigger issue.

Soldato
So am I understanding correctly that as its a linux based system it will only play linux based games?

Whats the word on support for other game platforms like origin for example?

Valve spent last several years developing Proton to make Windows games run on Linux. It should run vast majority of Steam library.

In any case you can always install Windows and dualboot, or just use Windows only.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
If you have to ask then it’s probably not for you.

I’m getting the 512GB version for portable game pass, epic free games, and my steam library. Streaming even in perfect conditions just sucks for video games.

reserved 512GB version mainly getting this for emulation and older AAA games i never got round to playing but graphics will be to crap to play on my main machine

dont plan to play cyberpunk or RDR2 or anything like that

Permabanned
Yeah, I wouldn't consider the 64GB version due to the eMMC storage and so £100 to double your internal memory and get what sounds like a superior screen is the way to go imo!

Very much an impulse buy for me to be honest - bizarrely I hadn't even heard about this thing before an hour ago and I never expected to be able to reserve one but I must have fallen lucky!

I always keep with with any sort of games/consoles/hardware and Id not heard of it either! I had not even realised that the 512gb has a better screen as well so thats a bonus but Im super looking forward to this now.

Man of Honour
It's worked great for me using Stadia. So much so that I repurposed my gaming PC as a home media server and game only on Stadia and Switch.

I have 10Gb internet and 7ms latency to the data center and it still feels like playing underwater. Some people just aren't sensitive to it.

Caporegime
Interesting. Wonder how easy that is to do? I need to do a bit research on this. Literally found out it existed and ordered within 30 minutes.

I’m can’t imagine it being hard as it seems like a typical PC, I expect there will be plenty of guides once’s it hits the hands of people, by the time you get it there will be plenty of information.

Permabanned
I’m can’t imagine it being hard as it seems like a typical PC, I expect there will be plenty of guides once’s it hits the hands of people, by the time you get it there will be plenty of information.

That's a good point Raymond. That thing will be taken apart and each individual part scrutinised to within an inch of its life over the next year.

Associate
Pre-ordered the 512, if I can play a decent race sim portable, I will be happy.

Mine is due a year from now, so an order to forget and see when it turns up.

Soldato
I mean, the other thing is... how do games designed for PC translate to the smaller screen....

For example if you think about strategy games, Im sure the text is going to be quite small the 7" screen? What are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom