Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
The huge audiobook library had really roped me into 40k got through nearly all the books just listening to mortis and godblight atm.

I bought the 9th core book for the art but how hard is this to get into as a game hobby.

I'm bad at fine detail work so even ultramarines would come out looking like the most beloved grandchildren of nurgle.

How easy is it to actually find people to play? Mrs says she has no interest. The little campaign/crusade mechanic thing looked good to creat and grow a small personal unit but does seem like it would be hard to find a consistent partner/opponent for that

loads of local clubs who normaly play many varied games

avoid the shops and anything official

Associate
The huge audiobook library had really roped me into 40k got through nearly all the books just listening to mortis and godblight atm.

I bought the 9th core book for the art but how hard is this to get into as a game hobby.

I'm bad at fine detail work so even ultramarines would come out looking like the most beloved grandchildren of nurgle.

How easy is it to actually find people to play? Mrs says she has no interest. The little campaign/crusade mechanic thing looked good to creat and grow a small personal unit but does seem like it would be hard to find a consistent partner/opponent for that

As Game said, maybe try and find a local going club you can pop along to so you can see what's going on? You don't even need to have an army or anything, you can pop down and start getting to know what's what.

Maybe there is something in on Meetup? There might not be loads on until everything opens up fully perhaps. I'm not sure where you are in Wales, but Firestorm Games in Cardiff is pretty decent :)

Associate
I very rarely buy GW models now the size creep and massive bosses put me off but then most games only last five turns

Next project for me is to finish my 10mm fantasy armies

Soldato
Been plugging through the Stormcast from the Dominion boxset myself at the moment. Got the first 10 Vindicators painted, and finished off Yndrasta yesterday. Started on the 3 heavy guys next.

Associate
Looking good. The blades stand out nicely. I've seen too many that fade into the wings. Yours give it a nice pop.

Did you use a static grass applicator? Static grass is on my 'would like to have' list. :)

I've still not fully built one Vindicator yet. Getting back in after years and I've been too ambitious with sculpting shoulders and trying to make helms.

Soldato
Thanks, I wanted the blades to be more than just metal, and the oranges contrasted well with the wings as you say, and suit her wrathful face.

I use the cheapest static applicator going - a party balloon :p apply PVA, pour plenty of grass on top, blow up balloon and rub it on your head, then wave it above the grass. It’ll largely stand on end!

it isn’t as effective as an applicator, but for £2, it’ll do!

Soldato
First time touching GW stuff since early 90's for me! Interesting to see how things have changed, miss the old shape Space Marine (earlier Mk power armour? pointy nose and the usual grill mouth stuff) and also miss the the original Warhammer Fantasy stuff, not digging Age of Sigmar which seems to blend too many themes for me.

So, I picked up a Middle Earth kit, the Battle of Pelennor Fields. One thing which is pretty impressive is the quality of the plastic moulding now, really top notch.

Commissario
They're publishing updates on it's development every now and then on Warhammer Community but no firm release date yet
That might get me and several of my friends back to playing Fantasy.

I've got what are literally two complete Fantasy armies here that I'd started work on just before they killed it with the result they've been sat in boxes for years. From memory i've got about 100 clan rats, 50 storm vermin and 50 plague monks in parts ready for assembly, and all the other bits for a fairly big army in their boxes (and an Empire army that is smaller but also in it's boxes).

IIRC I'd just painted up a skirmish force when they announced the end of Fantasy and it resulted in all my enthusiasm for the project dissolving, so I moved back to my 40k projects.

I think younger brother had just bought/painted about 200 goblins for an orc army and he was not happy.

Although having said that, these days I'm mainly painting and playing the smaller force games, so things like Bloodbowl, Necromunda, Kill team, AI and Titanicus.

Whilst i'm posting in here, if anyone is getting fed up with paints settling/having to shake the bottles I can highly recommend a proper Vortex mixer, I ended up paying about £100 for a good one and it seems to be working really well.
It's recovered a number of my ancient Vallejo model air paints, and seems to do a reasonable job with GW paints if they've not completely separated and gone solid. It's expensive, but the way I looked at it was that if it saved me buying just 20-30 paints it's paid for itself and it's saving a lot of time and effort in shaking airbrush paints before use (I tried a £25 ebay vortex mixer and it died within minutes).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom