Richmond sausages

Soldato
Why do people buy these awful things? When they are on offer, customers buy loads of them.

Richmond pork sausages contain the minimum amount of pork to be classed as a pork sausage - 42%, so 58% is rusk and other things.

If you eat sausages, do you buy low meat sausages such as Richmond or the high (85%+) meat content?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Because a lot of people associate them with their childhood and what a sausage is. Their adverts tell you everything you need to know about who they are advertising to.

Horrible sausages IMO and I haven't had one in god knows how long. Personally I am a big fan of Heck sausages but supermarkets own "premium" sausages are pretty good as well usually.

Caporegime
The perfect meat content for a sausage is between 70-79%. You might think the more meat the better, but it’s a marketing trick to get you to pay more than you should. Too much meat means not enough rusk, leading to a sausage that falls apart too easy, and has an unpleasant texture compared to the lower pork content one. Also less rusk means less fat is absorbed into the sausage leading to a dry sausage compared with a nice juicy breakfast banger.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sausage snobbery :o

Don't think I've bought or eaten them for years right enough but used to love the thinner Richmond's ones that came in packs of 12

Soldato
Perhaps these people are intelligently trying to cut down on their meat intake? :p

The perfect meat content for a sausage is between 70-79%. You might think the more meat the better, but it’s a marketing trick to get you to pay more than you should. Too much meat means not enough rusk, leading to a sausage that falls apart too easy, and has an unpleasant texture compared to the lower pork content one. Also less rusk means less fat is absorbed into the sausage leading to a dry sausage compared with a nice juicy breakfast banger.
For once we actually agree. I've occasionally bought 'premium' 85%+ meat content sausages and they simply end up quite dry and not particularly pleasant.

It's a bit like dark chocolate, with a slightly lower %age involved. I love 70-80% cocoa dark chocolate, but bought some 90% stuff the other day and it was honestly so bitter I could barely eat more than a square. That's been relegated to cooking chocolate.

I'd be interested to know what %age my butcher's sausages are actually. They're excellent.

Soldato
My brother loves them, I suspect because of childhood.

When I were a kid, used to walk to my grandparents after school and often my grandad would make me some sausages or bacon. He'd always use Wall's sausages. I know they're not the best but they still taste incredible to me because they bring back memories of being a kid having my grandad cooking me sausages after school.

Soldato
I get the logic of buying them for kids who are just going to bury any flavour under a load of ketchup - so why waste money. They just don't look right at all, in the packet, when cooking them or serving them ... fortunately I think my kids have finally grown out of the vile things.

For myself, I mostly buy the decent ones in Costco - can't remember the meat percentage offhand, but fairly sure its at least 80%, or the missus picks something from the Sainsburys premium end.

Associate
I like them on a BBQ, get them really well done and they are decent enough, piping hot in a roll.

I do point out they don't actually say 'pork sausages' on the packaging so am well aware of the fact they are full of rubbish, but they are my goto sausage on a BBQ.

Soldato
Tesco finest sausages are pretty good, I'm sure other supermarket ones are also, not a Tesco fan boy as such.

To be fair I've had many from butchers or farm shops etc and those Tesco ones are just as good if not better.

I also agree about the meat content, the really high ones are not always better.

Richmond chicken sausages are not terrible, you just have to make sure not to overcook them - same with any sausages really.

Caporegime
My brother loves them, I suspect because of childhood.

When I were a kid, used to walk to my grandparents after school and often my grandad would make me some sausages or bacon. He'd always use Wall's sausages. I know they're not the best but they still taste incredible to me because they bring back memories of being a kid having my grandad cooking me sausages after school.
You mustn’t talk about those sausages because walls have ears!

I’ll get me coat.

Soldato
I know technically higher percentage meat sausages aren't supposed to be as good but I regularly eat the 97% Heck sausages and really like them, very meaty taste and quite a nice texture, in no way dry. I often have them with veg, mash and gravy.

Back
Top Bottom