When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yeah I love the outside, the interior is a little sub-par though in my opinion! I want something higher tech internally than my P* next, what though, I'm not sure! I only have it till December next year which is quite scary!

Caporegime
I'm late to the thread, but I'd absolutely love to go full electric for our daily driver.

My other half drives 12 minutes / 30-40 minutes each way to work 5 days a week and I occasionally do a 200 mile round trip to pickup my daughter.

While I like a hoon, I find most of my driving on the road boring, so if I could make it as cheap and as comfortable as possible without sacrificing acceleration then I'm all in.

The trouble is, the only car I've really seen that appeals is the Tesla but all I hear from people I know that own them is horror stories about customer service. Is there another decent sized family that'll comfortably do 250-300 miles with the Tesla's performance and some semblence of decent driving dynamics?

polestar 2? Ioniq 5? EV6? sportier and better insides than the Ioniq 5 - The battery gives a claimed range of 314 miles in this AWD dual-motor car. It feeds a pair of motors for a total of 321bhp and 405Nm of torque, which is enough for a 5.2-second 0-62mph time.

Soldato
Yeah I love the outside, the interior is a little sub-par though in my opinion! I want something higher tech internally than my P* next, what though, I'm not sure! I only have it till December next year which is quite scary!
but P* is, at least, compact, a saloon, and, not a whopper;
someone local has a grey I-pace, I see daily, and (sorry johnny) they look monolithic, like I fear IO5 and ev6 will; indeed won't purchasers pragmatically start rejecting suv format, because of the impact on range.

higher tech Has the P* audio tech been acceptable to you ?, they've given a HK option with new plus pack.

Soldato
Polestar may be a saloon shape but by most reports the range is no better than the SUV shaped cars either, and way less efficient than a Tesla

Still wouldn't mind one though :p

Associate
The Polestar is based on the XC40 floorpan and the car really does look and feel like it. They are much higher than you would imagine - almost suv like.

Soldato
car really does look and feel like it.
you mean from a handling perspective. ?

bmw has the answer for saloon gendre - they should all have a mandatory Cd+fa declarations, plus CofG height.

edit correct i4 image

51386214872_f00de483ea_o_d.jpg

are there any deals on the old style ix3
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x...acelift-brings-fresh-styling-and-m-sport-trim

Last edited:
Soldato
The trouble is, the only car I've really seen that appeals is the Tesla but all I hear from people I know that own them is horror stories about customer service. Is there another decent sized family that'll comfortably do 250-300 miles with the Tesla's performance and some semblence of decent driving dynamics?

Other than the comfortable range there, which is amongst its peers and segment, honestly, it’s the IPACE.

Soldato
I get this is all subjective but I had planned to test drive the Ioniq 5 but when I saw one up close I just thought "nope", not for me. It is a large SUV sized vehicle trying to look like an 80s retro hatchback with quirky modern angular styling. It's not easily imagined from 2D images but for me it is trying far too hard to be cool.

I think it looks cool in a quirky way but cool tends to be uncool very rapidly and that's why I prefer the more generic car like EVs. I would get an Ioniq 5 and feel like a tit driving it in less than a year. Even my wife said it just looked wrong and when I asked "in what way", she said "all of them".

That EV6 is growing on me though, but the wife seems set on a Q4 50 Sportback. The Q4 looks nice while not stnading out like a sore thumb in a "I crave attention kind of way". I think the Ioniq 5 will be a heard turner but quite often will be in a "that looks stupid" kind of way.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think it looks cool in a quirky way but cool tends to be uncool very rapidly and that's why I prefer the more generic car like EVs. I would get an Ioniq 5 and feel like a tit driving it in less than a year. Even my wife said it just looked wrong and when I asked "in what way", she said "all of them".

Quirky cool is what tends to date very quickly - this fad for car design at the moment I suspect will go out of fashion quite quickly and be looked at like some of the 80s take on sci-fi cars down the road.

What bothers me the most personally is the displays which look like tablets glued to the centre console it just looks like cheap and lazy styling - and rarely even takes advantage of if it was done intentionally like that so you could swap it in and out quickly and easily for a newer or upgraded version, etc.

Permabanned
A Polestar 2 AWD comes close. Unless you are one of those people who think an EV should do this at a constant 70mph+ on some mythical 300 mile long UK motorway?

About 270 miles in Summer and 225 in Winter.

Yeah but it's also a huge expensive tank, not sure it's very hot hatch like. I do like them though.

Not done a journey over 160 ish miles in years so 250 is good enough. I just loathe SUVs too

Soldato
Yeah but it's also a huge expensive tank, not sure it's very hot hatch like. I do like them though.

Not done a journey over 160 ish miles in years so 250 is good enough. I just loathe SUVs too

About 4 years ago I got what was a very painful left knee. Did a lot of physio and GP appointments on but could never figure out what was causing it. My GP finally lost interest and told me it was "normal wear and tear". At the time I had been driving a 4 Series Gran Coupe for about two years.

I changed to a BMW X1 to ironically allow my older in-laws to get in and out easier and found my knee got better on its own. Been fine with it ever since because I have stuck with SUVs and their more upright seating position.

I now call it "coupe knee". I assume it was the low down seating postion with most of my weight on the knee joint rather than my thigh. I couldn't raise the seats too high or my head was hitting the roof and couldn't go back further or I had problems reaching the pedals. I genuinely did not feel discomfort during driving even over longer distances, so never assumed it was my seating position.

Long story short, my knee likes SUVs :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
About 4 years ago I got what was a very painful left knee. Did a lot of physio and GP appointments on but could never figure out what was causing it. My GP finally lost interest and told me it was "normal wear and tear". At the time I had been driving a 4 Series Gran Coupe for about two years.

I changed to a BMW X1 to ironically allow my older in-laws to get in and out easier and found my knee got better on its own. Been fine with it ever since because I have stuck with SUVs and their more upright seating position.

I now call it "coupe knee". I assume it was the low down seating postion with most of my weight on the knee joint rather than my thigh. I couldn't raise the seats too high or my head was hitting the roof and couldn't go back further or I had problems reaching the pedals. I genuinely did not feel discomfort during driving even over longer distances, so never assumed it was my seating position.

Long story short, my knee likes SUVs :)

Yeah can appreciate that. :) My parents also love them for similar reasons, mum for her back. Not for me just yet though. :p EV lineup seems to get better all the time but wasn't quite right for me yet so ordered a Golf R. Few years of that and will look at EV again. :)

Soldato
I’m confused, where is the electric bmw saloon there, nor is the E pae electric.
Polestar with that huge tunnel is intrusive thanks the flex CMA platform.

bmw i4 dimensions were bottom right,
hadn't realised polestar uses the transmission tunnel for batteries and thus keeps the footwells clear, frankly a good idea, to keep roof low,, unless it compromises cooling/maintenance
https://insideevs.com/news/343110/lets-take-a-closer-look-at-polestar-2-battery-details/
many of the reviews of other ev's complain about rear passengers having to raise knees.

Soldato
bmw i4 dimensions were bottom right,
hadn't realised polestar uses the transmission tunnel for batteries and thus keeps the footwells clear, frankly a good idea, to keep roof low,, unless it compromises cooling/maintenance
https://insideevs.com/news/343110/lets-take-a-closer-look-at-polestar-2-battery-details/
many of the reviews of other ev's complain about rear passengers having to raise knees.

BMW i4 isn’t an estate…

CMA uses the tunnel for batteries on PHEV and a then a complex shape battery pack on the EV. It’s not super flat as the body doesn’t seem to drop as much even though cells are not there and hence nothing like the Taycan foot garages. Not a good idea really hence the head clearance in the back for a tall car is quite poor, and the tunnel very intrusive and the battery is complicated inside- still a decent car.

Back
Top Bottom