Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Yep should be minimum 4 years OS and 5 years of security updates. I'll be surprised if it isn't.

Is it really their own SOC though? I thought a big thing on the support was that the SOC Vendors only supported a few years security updates, and this is just a rebranded and modified SOC rather than a proper in house one. If so then the security updates won't be any different I don't expect.

Soldato
Is it really their own SOC though? I thought a big thing on the support was that the SOC Vendors only supported a few years security updates, and this is just a rebranded and modified SOC rather than a proper in house one. If so then the security updates won't be any different I don't expect

It's an SoC to their spec and their name on it but made by Samsung. If that doesn't warrant longer updates than currently offered I'll be surprised.

Soldato
It could still be an Exynos as a base but the NPU/TPU (The part that deals with machine learning) is 100% Google design. I don't think it will be like Qualcomm/Nvidia just using Samsung's fab, most likely Google did work with Samsung on some parts of the SoC. Still, Google should overall be in charge with updates so 5 years is still possible.

Soldato
If it is an Exynos, it still means that they'll be beholden to Samsung for certain updates doesn't it? I'm not sure what Samsung's history is like supporting SoCs past x years is, but I hope that this is an excellent move for Google. I hope it delivers and gives some competition again.

Soldato
Is it actually only 2? I ask as im sure when I have my pixel 2 it was getting updates many years after release.

You generally get 2 years of OS updates and then maybe another year of security. Although recently that has been changing with some manufacturers saying they'll now give 3 years of OS updates.

Soldato
It could still be an Exynos as a base but the NPU/TPU (The part that deals with machine learning) is 100% Google design. I don't think it will be like Qualcomm/Nvidia just using Samsung's fab, most likely Google did work with Samsung on some parts of the SoC. Still, Google should overall be in charge with updates so 5 years is still possible.

Yes this echoes my thoughts.

It'll most likely be Exynos cores but with Google AI, pixels visual core and titan chips. Not a ground up Google SoC but as close as we've ever had..

Semi-custom.

In the future I'm sure it'll be full fat Google designed.

Soldato
In the future I'm sure it'll be full fat Google designed.

Unless they get bored of chip design 2 milliseconds after the release of the Pixel 6 and divert the R&D money into developing a new messaging app or something.

I hope Google sticks with this.

Soldato
That's a good thing; cuts down on needless waste.
Not for me. The charge I currently use is a 65w fast charger that came with my OPPO. When I sell my phone the charger will go with it. Meaning I'll have to buy one if I get a Pixel. That actually creates more carbon emissions as it will require 2 separate deliveries to my house.

Soldato
Not for me. The charge I currently use is a 65w fast charger that came with my OPPO. When I sell my phone the charger will go with it. Meaning I'll have to buy one if I get a Pixel. That actually creates more carbon emissions as it will require 2 separate deliveries to my house.

It's not really feasible to base the environmental value with situations like yours; generally speaking most people who purchase a P6 are likely to have a capable charger already.

Back
Top Bottom