• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 temperature concerns

Associate
I don’t get your post, the seller already told you he did not mine on the card, maybe they were honest.

Listen, most Miners overclock GPUs 24hours of the day, most will overclock it to squeeze every bit of MH from the card and only do the thermal pads because the card's VRAM is getting fried, hot! The card begins to throttle so they put the pads to reduce temps for stable MH. The miners end goal is to dump the card on the used market after the deed has been done.

Maybe he was being honest maybe he was lying , i had no way of telling nor would anyone else buying a GPU but it turned up and was working perfectly whether it had been mined on or not ... mining does not kill a gpu or degrade its performance no more than gaming on it does.

When mining ETH which most are currently doing than you will be reducing the core clock and voltage , the only thing that gets overclocked is the memory. when i mine on the 3090 the core is locked at 1110 mhz , undervolted to 0.730mv and the memory gets overclocked to +1250 . temps will sit at 36core/56mem ( was 40/94 previously no active backplate ) ... When gaming everything gets turned up so the core is now +120 , memory + 1250 and voltage as high as it goes , its is actually hotter when i game than when i mine but again no issues. The memory will throttle on 3080/90 when it gets to 110 deg junction temps , 99% of the time this can be sorted with good thermal pads and will bring that down into the 80's.

Soldato
Shouldn't a more valid question be:

Is there any proof or evidence from miners that they are losing 10% performance annually? Beyond normal failure rates?

Why on earth would anyone believe what comes from a manufacturer or AIB? When they are only interested in maintaining sales.

Permabanned
Maybe he was being honest maybe he was lying , i had no way of telling nor would anyone else buying a GPU but it turned up and was working perfectly whether it had been mined on or not ... mining does not kill a gpu or degrade its performance no more than gaming on it does.

When mining ETH which most are currently doing than you will be reducing the core clock and voltage , the only thing that gets overclocked is the memory. when i mine on the 3090 the core is locked at 1110 mhz , undervolted to 0.730mv and the memory gets overclocked to +1250 . temps will sit at 36core/56mem ( was 40/94 previously no active backplate ) ... When gaming everything gets turned up so the core is now +120 , memory + 1250 and voltage as high as it goes , its is actually hotter when i game than when i mine but again no issues. The memory will throttle on 3080/90 when it gets to 110 deg junction temps , 99% of the time this can be sorted with good thermal pads and will bring that down into the 80's.

You sound confused. The seller was honest, sold you a card that has never mined and sounds like a great sale. Yet you are trying to justify mining with the sale.

You see miners will try and justify it by what ever means possible. You will hear all the comments like, " Mining is always underclocked", " Gaming is worse than mining" , "After mining ,you will get better performance increase and better benchmarks" ," Miners look after the card " and a load of other BS to follow.

The sole purpose of the miner is to get the most MH out of the card, 24hrs, 7 days a week, as long as it does not throttle. Then they eventually dump the card in the used market to non suspecting buyers. Most want to dump it at scalped prices as well.

So glad NVIDIA have started LHR cards and hope next gen continues progressively with this.

Last edited:
Associate

Is there any proof or evidence from miners that they are losing 10% performance annually? Beyond normal failure rates?

Why on earth would anyone believe what comes from a manufacturer or AIB? When they are only interested in maintaining sales.

I would genuinely like to see a card that has lost 10% performance from mining in 12 months , lets hope for their sake they have hit their ROI in that time span :cry: seriously though are there any losing that sort of performance in a year ? , i highly doubt it and would question the card manufactures if that was the case and would not be looking at their variant of cards !

Sounds like damage limitations to me , they know how many 30 series are now out in the wild and inevitably when the new cards come out they know the market will be flooded with 2nd hand cards... oh btw people don't buy these cards as they lose 10% performance per year when used by those pesky miners, come see us we will sell you a brand new card at an inflated price :rolleyes::cry:

Permabanned

The AIBs make the card, NV even helped by making LHR cards else many would still be fighting for a GPU.

I recall when Furmark was first made and it showed how many cards were artifacting due to overclocking. In time we will see.

Associate
You sound confused. The seller was honest, sold you a card that has never mined and sounds like a great sale. Yet you are trying to justify mining with the sale.

You see miners will try and justify it by what ever means possible. You will hear all the comments like, " Mining is always underclocked", " Gaming is worse than mining" , "After mining ,you will get better performance increase and better benchmarks" ," Miners look after the card " and a load of other BS to follow.

The sole purpose of the miner is to get the most MH out of the card, 24hrs, 7 days a week, as long as it does not throttle. Then they eventually dump the card in the used market to non suspecting buyers. Most want to dump it at scalped prices as well.

So glad NVIDIA have started LHR cards and hope next gen continues progressively with this.

No not confused thanks , how do you know he was honest was it you ?! He stated it wasn't mined on but i had no idea if it was or not , if it arrived and was dead for any reason then i would have put in a dispute but it was fine and i enjoyed the use i got out of it what ever it was previously used for be it gaming or mining .

Im not trying to justify mining but am saying the article you posted up is a load of rubbish and exactly what i would expect from a manufacturer of a card. I have posted my own evidence that proves to me the article is a load of rubbish and what i am seeing is inline with the video that linus posted ie no degradation from using a card for mining.

And the difference between a card that has been mined on 24/7 and one that has had games playing on it 24/7 is ?

Permabanned
No not confused thanks , how do you know he was honest was it you ?! He stated it wasn't mined on but i had no idea if it was or not , if it arrived and was dead for any reason then i would have put in a dispute but it was fine and i enjoyed the use i got out of it what ever it was previously used for be it gaming or mining .

Im not trying to justify mining but am saying the article you posted up is a load of rubbish and exactly what i would expect from a manufacturer of a card. I have posted my own evidence that proves to me the article is a load of rubbish and what i am seeing is inline with the video that linus posted ie no degradation from using a card for mining.

And the difference between a card that has been mined on 24/7 and one that has had games playing on it 24/7 is ?

I don't think the AIBs are posting rubbish. They are giving warning, maybe the warning could be exaggerated, but time will tell.

Associate
I don't think the AIBs are posting rubbish. They are giving warning, maybe the warning could be exaggerated, but time will tell.

I will be staying well away from Palit cards , sounds like they don't have much faith in the products they are making :cry: in all honesty i imagine if this was really an issue we would have all the AIB and NV making a statement on the situation.

Permabanned
J
I will be staying well away from Palit cards , sounds like they don't have much faith in the products they are making :cry: in all honesty i imagine if this was really an issue we would have all the AIB and NV making a statement on the situation.

Nvidia have already made the change , with the Light Hash Rate (LHR) on all graphics cards from its RTX 30 series in an attempt to curb crypto mining, they said it was to stop miners mining on these cards. They wouldn't be going in this direction if GPU mining was good and caused no problems as you think.

Also, Palit cards are the closest to msrp that you can get. Had seen brand new Palit 3090s going for £1800(And 3090 FE is £1400 ). They are good for gamers in my opinion.

Soldato
J
Also, Palit cards are the closest to msrp that you can get. Had seen brand new Palit 3090s going for £1800(And 3090 FE is £1400 ). They are good for gamers in my opinion.

Serious miners do not push the cards to the maximum. Quite the opposite; cards are pushed to the most efficient which is usually well underclocked and undervolted. Pushing cards with extra voltage and overclocks uses far more power for relatively little gain.

It's the kiddies getting the power for free from their parents who push cards to the maximum.

Permabanned
Serious miners do not push the cards to the maximum. Quite the opposite; cards are pushed to the most efficient which is usually well underclocked and undervolted. Pushing cards with extra voltage and overclocks uses far more power for relatively little gain.

It's the kiddies getting the power for free from their parents who push cards to the maximum.

I respectfully disagree, do the math, say one card does 30MH, Then you have 5 cards. Miners would Overclock all cards to 40MH or more, so they would get the power of almost 2 extra cards just buy playing with the software.

But sure, you still would get some amateur miners underclocking their cards because they had hit the thermal limit of their card, as their card would be frying and throttling and crashing their PCs.

I've seen videos where one miner has like 30 pieces of 3070s, all mining, when gamers are looking for just one card.

I reckon if this carries on into next gen cards, gamers would get very upset again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I respectfully disagree, do the math, say one card does 30MH, Then you have 5 cards. Miners would Overclock all cards to 40MH or more, so they would get the power of almost 2 extra cards just buy playing with the software.

But sure, you still would get some amateur miners underclocking their cards because they had hit the thermal limit of their card, as their card would be frying and throttling and crashing their PCs.

I've seen videos where one miner has like 30 pieces of 3070s, all mining, when gamers are looking for just one card.

I reckon if this carries on into next gen cards, gamers would get very upset again.

It's not about the MH/s it's about the kH/W. Electricity costs are the killer here and miners are looking to get the maximum return for the least costs. I only dabble in this stuff but as an amateur playing with Nicehash its entire setup is based around "optimising" output not "maximising".

Associate
J

Nvidia have already made the change , with the Light Hash Rate (LHR) on all graphics cards from its RTX 30 series in an attempt to curb crypto mining, they said it was to stop miners mining on these cards. They wouldn't be going in this direction if GPU mining was good and caused no problems as you think.

That LHR is a bit of a con if you ask me , i find it extremely strange how Nvidia are keeping their own sku as NON LHR with only the 3080ti and 3070ti being LHR while making all AIB sell LHR across the board ( apart from 3090 afaik ) miners will flock to Nvidia for the FE cards while AIB are left to shaft the gamers with their ludicrous pricing:confused::cry: also there is the fact that eth mining is ending soon and lhr only effects that algo . many other coins can be mined on the LHR cards .

Palit for £1800:rolleyes: no thanks , i paid £1700 for my Strix 3090 Oc and i thought that was a P*^s take let alone a palit for £100 more . The only viable option at the minute for any gamers is an FE card at msrp and you will be able to get one with the telegram alerts and it wont be nerfed for mining unless its a 80ti/70ti ;)

Associate

Gamers will overclock their card to get more FPS and higher benchmark scores , miners do the opposite to a degree as i explained above... the same software is used to do both ;)

As @MikeTimbers has said its about efficiency when it comes to mining, and you want to get it doing as much as possible for as little power draw as possible. the way you do this is by undervolting and declocking the gpu core as it isn't really needed when mining eth. it would be an amateur who doesn't do this and just leaves the core as stock and turns everything up which yes will result in heat and wasted energy / performance .

I've seen you tube videos with people having multiple supercars , i only want 1 :rolleyes::cry:

If any gamers are on here and still waiting for a card i highly recommend you get on the telelgram app and will have your gaming card in no time:D

Permabanned
Gamers will overclock their card to get more FPS and higher benchmark scores , miners do the opposite to a degree as i explained above... the same software is used to do both ;)

As @MikeTimbers has said its about efficiency when it comes to mining, and you want to get it doing as much as possible for as little power draw as possible. the way you do this is by undervolting and declocking the gpu core as it isn't really needed when mining eth. it would be an amateur who doesn't do this and just leaves the core as stock and turns everything up which yes will result in heat and wasted energy / performance .

I've seen you tube videos with people having multiple supercars , i only want 1 :rolleyes::cry:

If any gamers are on here and still waiting for a card i highly recommend you get on the telelgram app and will have your gaming card in no time:D

Again, you speak of amateur miners who make peanuts and underclock their card, just because they have reached their thermal limit, and they are frying their VRAM and realise that they need the card for longer.

It's quite simple, like I explained before, say each card gives 10MH and a miner has 5 cards. Overclocking gets them an extra 2 cards worth of MH, and only with a small hit on electricity, so they'll overclock the cards, as long as its not throttling. Think of a 3070 running overclocked mining 24hrs daily for a year, 95c-100c on T Junction, for a year :cry: They don't care as they will dump the card on the used market when they are done, for a gamers to pick up the pieces. The miners will then scalp the cards to these unsuspecting gamers, claiming "this card was barely used" ......etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Again, you speak of amateur miners who make peanuts and underclock their card, just because they have reached their thermal limit, and they are frying their VRAM amd realise that they need the card for longer.

It's quite simple, like I explained before, say each card gives 10MH and a miner has 5 cards. Overclocking gets them an extra 2 cards worth of MH, and only with a small hit on electricity, so they'll overclock the cards, as long as its not throttling. Think of a 3070 running overclocked mining 24hrs daily for a year, 95c-100c on T Junction, for a year :cry: They don't care as they will dump the card on the used market when they are done, for a gamers to pick up the pieces. The miners will then scalp the cards to these unsuspecting gamers, claiming "this card was barely used" ......etc.

You clearly have no idea how mining works and seem to be here to just spout rubbish having never tried it yourself going by your comments , maybe try a few more you tube videos :rolleyes: ... you have been told numerous times why the cards are undervolted etc yet you still bang on about frying the chips etc when this is not the case . Making peanuts , yes mate i suppose £2500+ in 10 months is peanuts from a 3090 :cry:

There is no issue with a 3080/3090 running at a constant 100deg junction temp ( btw you cant even monitor jt on a 3070 but you knew that anyway ;) ) for a year or so they have an inbuilt protection that kicks in at 110deg so that is the limit not 100deg if they were going to all be dying after running at 100deg considering some games can get the vram this hot then Nvidia would have a big issue on their hands but here we are 10months down the line and how many cards have died from overheating due to mining ? Would you be happy to buy a card knowing its been overclocked and gamed on all its life ? As i put above buying second hand is a risk with whatever you buy in life be it a gpu or a car etc . don't want to take that risk then buy new but trying to say a gpu will be worse off due to mining is rubbish and has been proven so , if you want to believe it then good for you.

Permabanned
You clearly have no idea how mining works and seem to be here to just spout rubbish having never tried it yourself going by your comments , maybe try a few more you tube videos :rolleyes: ... you have been told numerous times why the cards are undervolted etc yet you still bang on about frying the chips etc when this is not the case . Making peanuts , yes mate i suppose £2500+ in 10 months is peanuts from a 3090 :cry:

There is no issue with a 3080/3090 running at a constant 100deg junction temp ( btw you cant even monitor jt on a 3070 but you knew that anyway ;) ) for a year or so they have an inbuilt protection that kicks in at 110deg so that is the limit not 100deg if they were going to all be dying after running at 100deg considering some games can get the vram this hot then Nvidia would have a big issue on their hands but here we are 10months down the line and how many cards have died from overheating due to mining ? Would you be happy to buy a card knowing its been overclocked and gamed on all its life ? As i put above buying second hand is a risk with whatever you buy in life be it a gpu or a car etc . don't want to take that risk then buy new but trying to say a gpu will be worse off due to mining is rubbish and has been proven so , if you want to believe it then good for you.

Some people just never learn.

Soldato
Some people just never learn.
You seem to be one of them, I have paid for my 3080 with my mining profits in less than a year, and I have plenty of life left in it, my current mining stats are 99.21MH/s power 217.6w and efficiency 456.18 KH/J with my GPu memory temps @68/70c, so I have no idea what your on about “cooking chips”

Permabanned
You seem to be one of them, I have paid for my 3080 with my mining profits in less than a year, and I have plenty of life left in it, my current mining stats are 99.21MH/s power 217.6w and efficiency 456.18 KH/J with my GPu memory temps @68/70c, so I have no idea what your on about “cooking chips”

What would you like, a medal ?

Enjoy your card.

Back
Top Bottom