Break checked and crashed

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
From what I could see:
- knew that you were due to turn off, but were still in the overtaking lane until just before the turn off
- had insufficient braking distance between you and him
- nearly crashed into the Audi, taking him with you

sorry, not impressed

Soldato
From what I could see:
- knew that you were due to turn off, but were still in the overtaking lane until just before the turn off
- had insufficient braking distance between you and him
- nearly crashed into the Audi, taking him with you

sorry, not impressed

Add to that the indecision to still come off after avoiding the Audi.

OP, what the hell?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I don't feel he brake checked you, because he really did not brake that hard, he maybe scrubbed 10-15mph off at most.
You were doing the usual lets exit last minute like so many people do, motorway exits are not hard, be in the left lane ready for your exit with a good mile to spare, not moving across in the last 100-200 yards and then getting to close to vehicle in front, if you had obeyed said rules and also at least two cars distance gap matching his braking efforts would have been very easy to do.

Always assume that cars around you are driven by total idiots and noobs, that way you will avoid such circumstances, the fault totally lies with yourself on this one as you should always be prepared and anticipate someone potentially braking or even attempting to stop in front of you, hence why the need for keep large gaps between vehicles is highly recommended.

Soldato
Is it your fault that the M1 southbound is closed this morning between 16 & 15A?

I'm with everyone else here...100% your fault I'm afraid. I wouldn't say you were brake-checked at all.
- you're in lane 3 right up until the exit (you begin your move into lane 2 at the 200 yard mark)
- the Audi is indicating his intention to exit from the very beginning of your video clip, you should anticipate him slowing for the exit
- you were fairly close to the Audi, not giving yourself sufficient time and space to react to the unexpected
- even then your reaction was very late to the Audi braking (>1s)

All the above indicates that you were not paying adequate attention at the time and gave yourself no time and space to react.

Soldato
Sure, the Audi braked relatively hard, but you were carrying too much speed and then you didnt even brake when he did. Instead you maintained your speed and tried to go around him, which on a single lane slip road is not a smart decision.

Soldato
No way was that Audi brake checking you. Yes they braked a little harder than they needed to, but you still had about 2-4 weeks to react, and instead of using that time to brake, you chose instead to swerve around and seemingly cut them up...then bizarrely abort and just plough into a barrier?

Caporegime
Lol that was on you. WTF?! You cut from lane 3 to lane 1 sharpish to try and turn off, you reacted slowly to his brake and then tried to overtake him when you realised he was going to be a dawdling idiot.

Soldato
No reply from the OP, thread didn't go the way they thought I'm guessing. Very poor driving, like others have said, stop being an a mad rush, relax and anticipate.

OcUK Staff
I wouldn't even send that video. Could get done for driving without due car and attention. Why even try and make that exit is beyond me.

This as I was thinking same, the Audi did not brake that hard, if the OP had been paying attention he could have braked in time and harder and never made contact with the Audi or the barrier.

Back
Top Bottom