• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are RX 6800 XT not wanted?

Associate
Yeah I had given up on getting a GPU so stopped checking stock across various places for quite a few months and just started looking as one of my monitors died so bought a 3440x1440 screen and not sure my 2060s can handle it. Probably would have just bought it for £900 too

Likewise, though then someone (can't recall the name) pointed at that fact in one of the topics here (as it's on Overclockers) and I jumped on it just in time before price grew up again (same day, few hours later it was already £60+ more, now it's £100 more).

Caporegime
Oh I see "Mr Neutral" Dave posted, without even looking to see its guaranteed to be more anti amd spiel. Ignore function is a blessing as a bs filter.

Soldato
Fiji - many driver issues
Polaris > many driver issues
Vega64 > Many driver issues
>Radeon VII (Vega based) > many driver isssues
RDNA1 (rx5700) > huge number of driver issues

RDNA2 is a step in the right direction, but many have just lost trust in AMD and don't wanna take the risk.

People have voted with their wallets, more 3000 series cards have been sold overall, for a good reason.

Maxwell > many driver issues including games black screening and BSOD pocs
Pascal > many driver issues including fans stopping and killing cards
Turning > games crashing when RT is enabled and in some reported cashes nuking windows itself

So both makers have driver issues.....

Soldato
Maxwell > many driver issues including games black screening and BSOD pocs
Pascal > many driver issues including fans stopping and killing cards
Turning > games crashing when RT is enabled and in some reported cashes nuking windows itself

So both makers have driver issues.....

The majority of people buying GPU's disagree with you buddy, as do I.

Associate
Fiji - many driver issues
Polaris > many driver issues
Vega64 > Many driver issues
>Radeon VII (Vega based) > many driver isssues

Could you be more specific? Or do you mean just the list of "known issues" that AMD (and NVIDIA too) post with each drivers' release? I had (along with my buddies, we tend to buy similar hardware) all of them aside Radeon VII and never had any serious issues with them. I had NVIDIA cards in that time too and also did not experience serious issues. Though, NVIDIA more than once released driver literally killing GPUs (that they quickly pulled removed soon after, though). Should I be worried my 3060Ti will melt too? :)

RDNA1 (rx5700) > huge number of driver issues

Agreed, though eventually they did fix them - but too late for me to bother, I switched at that point to 2070S. I then had issues with Youtube crashing for a few drivers' versions, though. Annoying but not game-breaking.

RDNA2 is a step in the right direction, but many have just lost trust in AMD and don't wanna take the risk.

People have voted with their wallets, more 3000 series cards have been sold overall, for a good reason.

It's not a loss of trust, it's the fact that even when AMD (4000 series etc.) had really good GPUs, NVIDIA had MUCH better marketing and still majority of the market. The rest is mostly FUD, not reality (aside 5700 series), that people use to justify their choice, whilst in reality most never actually owned AMD card and just heard rumours (FUD) spread by other people who never had such card either, etc. Once started, such rumours never die, irrelevant of reality.

In regards why NVIDIA sold more cards - discounting consoles (which also use RDNA2 and NVIDIA isn't even close to their numbers), AMD simply never produced (till now?) enough of them to be able to sell them in numbers anywhere close to NVIDIA's. Just last week I was able to finally buy 6800 XT, because they just weren't available anywhere since release. Would I buy 3000 series? After waiting months in a queue on a preorder, I gave up on that too.

Current market is hardly any indication of who voted for what - people just buy what they can buy, and I wouldn't be surprised if Overclockers sold by now more 6800 series (Gibbo said they have hundreds in stock now and more coming) than 3000 series overall. Simply because there's so many in stock and according to Gibbo, they sell very well - first time since premiere of current gen both by NVIDIA and AMD, I believe.

Soldato
You're actually lumping in memes to try and help your faltering argument? :cry:

Long long before 290x we had the following.

Dude, I've had many of both manufacturers, got some right, got some purchases wrong - water off a ducks back to me - I've seen and enjoyed them all.

Best Nvidia one was the 970 with only 3.5GB of RAM.

I just find it funny that people get so offended they need to protect their weak nature by using the ignore button. Usually misused as they don't want to listen to any other side of an arguement. Probably still put hands over ears and shout La La La

I wasnt trying to make that meme about this thread - more the guy with the 290X. I had a 7990 at the time and wanted an X295. Pennies in comparison to today's cards.

Soldato
Dude, I've had many of both manufacturers, got some right, got some purchases wrong - water off a ducks back to me - I've seen and enjoyed them all.

I just find it funny that people get so offended they need to protect their weak nature by using the ignore button. Usually misused as they don't want to listen to any other side of an arguement. Probably still put hands over ears and shout La La La

I wasnt trying to make that meme about this thread - more the guy with the 290X. I had a 7990 at the time and wanted an X295. Pennies in comparison to today's cards.

And given TSMC news, todays cards will be pennies to the next gen as well - N7 and smaller all getting a 10% price hike

Associate
And given TSMC news, todays cards will be pennies to the next gen as well - N7 and smaller all getting a 10% price hike

It's not even news as much as they warned about it already few months ago. And last I read it could be even up to 25% price increase per chip. Samsung and GF are planning to do the same. Add to that all other electronic components and the fact that a lot of car manufacturers had to cut production by half (lack of chips) and it paints a very bleak image of future market and pricing. People are waiting for next gen counting it will somehow fix everything but that's highly unlikely. Current gen might get a bit cheaper, whilst next gen will likely be just top shelf for £1500+ pricing till production catches up with demand finally. It's highly unlikely either NVIDIA or AMD will stop producing current SKUs, as they'll use all available capacity to give market more GPUs, I suspect.

Intel, with their own fabs, might be actually a blessing to relieve demand, though... their GPU drivers are usually horrible and not many people will trust their GPUs initially, I suspect.

Caporegime

Offended? Lmao, i use the ignore function as I simply don't have time for dealing with deluded ********. I've been on here a lot longer than you and had plenty of "interactions" revolving around gpu and cpu, these days I simply can't be arsed for the most part.

I don't have any "brand loyalty" if it does what I need it to do I'm happy enough. Sooner some of you figure out that buying a component doesn't also make you part of a tech company religion that must be defended at all costs the better.

Caporegime
It's Nvidia's excellent marketing! people buy brands not products...
Except when that's not true.

Fun fact, I was going to buy a 6800XT at one point.

At the point I pulled the trigger on a 3060TI, the following were all true:

* AMD doesn't sell direct to the UK, so no MBA/RRP products available in this country
* The 6800XT was >£1000
* The 3080 FE could be had for £650
* The 3060 Ti could be had for £380
* The 6700XT was > £800.

Did I buy the brand? Or did I just buy the card that was available at RRP... at 1/2 the cost, give or take. Given that I don't care aboot RT and had planned for yonks to get an all-AMD setup.

Only AMD's poor execution on the GPU side (mostly in terms of making sufficient quantities of the darn things) stopped me having that all-AMD setup right now.

Associate
Except when that's not true.

Fun fact, I was going to buy a 6800XT at one point.

At the point I pulled the trigger on a 3060TI, the following were all true:

* AMD doesn't sell direct to the UK, so no MBA/RRP products available in this country
* The 6800XT was >£1000
* The 3080 FE could be had for £650
* The 3060 Ti could be had for £380
* The 6700XT was > £800.

Did I buy the brand? Or did I just buy the card that was available at RRP... at 1/2 the cost, give or take. Given that I don't care aboot RT and had planned for yonks to get an all-AMD setup.

Only AMD's poor execution on the GPU side (mostly in terms of making sufficient quantities of the darn things) stopped me having that all-AMD setup right now.

And you did the right thing - you buy what you need/want now and what you can afford. Current market is crazy, so most people just buy what they can. But in normal times, NVIDIA's marketing is MUCH better (as shown in previous generations) - irrelevant of how good AMD's cards are and even if they're cheaper. And that predates DLSS/RT too. To pretend marketing doesn't work is just silly - if it didn't work, corporations wouldn't be spending billions on it. It works very very well on most people.

Caporegime
@4k Nvidia king even without DLSS. the 3080 pulls the pants down on a 6900XT in some games.

Blimey this thread escalated from when i looked at it earlier. :p

My 6900 XT is ready to murder your soon to be posted 3080 benchmark scores in the various OcuK benchmark threads.

I might even be able to beat you in Port Royal with a bit of luck. :D

Soldato
Blimey this thread escalated from when i looked at it earlier. :p

My 6900 XT is ready to murder your soon to be posted 3080 benchmark scores in the various OcuK benchmark threads.

I might even be able to beat you in Port Royal with a bit of luck. :D

If you like spending hours running benchmarks, tweaking everything off in windows, overclocking every last thing so the PC is only stable enough to the end of the benchmark etc - just to get a bigger number in some thread - you crack on. Then turn it all back down again to play games!

I have used them just to make sure my card is in the ballpark of similar cards when getting a new card.

Though I'd rather watch paint stay wet than entertain 5 minutes of my life doing that. Each to their own - I don't doubt it'll beat mine. Should do for what it costs over mine! You've probably spent hours tweaking and running multiple benchmarks (couldn't think of anything more boring myself) so you can say you have the biggest number in benchmark threads!? I really cant see the appeal of it. But it's not what I was on about. I'm on about 4k game benchmarks

But lets get back to the crux of what I originally wrote concerning gaming at 4k. Yes the 6900XT and the 3090 will beat my 3080 - but for the extra £££ they cost - the 3080 @4k - can still @4k beat a 6900XT in a game or two @4k. And the 6800XT which is what you said originally ON THE WHOLE beats a 3080. WHat I said concerns 4k. On the WHOLE at 4k the 3080 is better.

Witcher 3 @ 4k - 3080 has 6900XT's pants down. Shadow of the tombraider,- yes we can all cherry pick and that's what I was doing - just as you are cherry picking synthetic benchmarks you spend hours just to raise a number, just beyond me that there is any fun in that.

I understood what you said because of where you work - and I purposely cherry picked 4k because I know there was a game or two where the 3080 beat the 6900XT - that was all.

It was funny though seeing the fanbois go mad over it and ignore people, in their rage fail to comprehend that I was on about 4k.

ANd I never even mentioned DLSS or raytracing :cry:

HAppy benching:cool:

Back
Top Bottom