Nest cameras

Caporegime
Doorbell is more of a sidegrade than upgrade compared to original.

It has less horizontal FOV, doesn't do 24/7 recording to cloud.

Pros are it as AI chip built in so less lag for notifications and detection and it has a battery and local storage as backup for if power and internet go down.

I've personally not had a power cut in 5 years and internet has only been down for a few hours max a handful of times over the past 5 years too.

If you have original no sense in buying this. I'll wait for V3.

Caporegime
I was waiting for these and the pro reviews seemed very encouraging but r/Nest paints a very different picture.

Loads of people are saying the detection is hit and miss and you need to be very close for it to work, even then it often doesn't, there's a 10 minute notification cool down after it senses motion so if it captures you leaving your house it wouldn't notify you about the burglar breaking in 8 minutes later and the anti-theft mount uses shiny plastic and completely blows out the night vision which renders it useless.

Sad to read so many negative opinions of them but not surprised.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was waiting for these and the pro reviews seemed very encouraging but r/Nest paints a very different picture.

Loads of people are saying the detection is hit and miss and you need to be very close for it to work, even then it often doesn't, there's a 10 minute notification cool down after it senses motion so if it captures you leaving your house it wouldn't notify you about the burglar breaking in 8 minutes later and the anti-theft mount uses shiny plastic and completely blows out the night vision which renders it useless.

Surely your alarm would notify you of the burglar and then you can save the clip from the cloud anyway? I don't really see that as a downside tbh.

Soldato

Google specifically states there is no cool down between events here so that's a bit worrying - https://nest.google.com/pro/blog/announcement-fall-2021

And there are even more benefits when you wire Nest Cam with the weatherproof cable accessory or optional POE adapter (both sold separately) – from continuous video recording with a Nest Aware subscription3 to pre-roll functionality and longer video clips, with no cooldown period between events.

Caporegime
I don't think it's the actual events, just the notifications you receive telling you there's been an event.

That's not really an issue for me but the abysmal detection distance on battery is, I'd want to mount it on my fence looking at my back door so powering it isn't an option.

Last edited:
Soldato

I literally put this up yesterday (new Nest battery doorbell - on battery) and haven't yet seen any evidence of this
It overlooks my driveway about 2 cars long and activates when someone is about 1 car away every time.
Earlier my wife took the bins out to the end of the driveway - it captured her wheeling the bin out then 30 secs later captured her walking back
Last night we came home after a restaurant and it was dark and the night vision captured us returning home fine

That's a lot of false claims - so far it's fine for our needs, the only thing I don't like is we can't customise the sound the google home app uses for when someone rings the doorbell - would be nice to use a doorbell sound rather than my generic whatsapp sound
Also on my wife apple phone she doesn't get any notifications even though in her app the doorbell is online etc???

Caporegime
I literally put this up yesterday (new Nest battery doorbell - on battery) and haven't yet seen any evidence of this
It overlooks my driveway about 2 cars long and activates when someone is about 1 car away every time.
Earlier my wife took the bins out to the end of the driveway - it captured her wheeling the bin out then 30 secs later captured her walking back
Last night we came home after a restaurant and it was dark and the night vision captured us returning home fine

That's a lot of false claims - so far it's fine for our needs, the only thing I don't like is we can't customise the sound the google home app uses for when someone rings the doorbell - would be nice to use a doorbell sound rather than my generic whatsapp sound
Also on my wife apple phone she doesn't get any notifications even though in her app the doorbell is online etc???
If you're happy with it that's all that matters but I personally wouldn't call a detection zone of no more than 2 metres good, it massively limits where you can install it, the 10 minute notification cool down as been confirmed loads of times on Reddit, although this does seem to be an issue with many battery cameras, and here's a great example of what the Wasserstien anti-theft mount does to the night vision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/comments/pevzla/wasserstein_anti_theft_mount_paint_mod_before_and/

https://imgur.com/a/PfhZpU2
https://imgur.com/a/Cqubs3v

Caporegime
I was thinking about buying this.. Then I understood what "3 hours free" actually meant.

I assumed it meant 3 hours of recording time.
Ie someone comes to the door. That's 2 mins. Someone else, that's another 3 mins. Taking up 5 mins.

If it's 3 hours of time. Ie if it's 6pm now you have no access to before 3pm that's no use. Can't see if someone came in at 1am.

Caporegime
I was thinking about buying this.. Then I understood what "3 hours free" actually meant.

I assumed it meant 3 hours of recording time.
Ie someone comes to the door. That's 2 mins. Someone else, that's another 3 mins. Taking up 5 mins.

If it's 3 hours of time. Ie if it's 6pm now you have no access to before 3pm that's no use. Can't see if someone came in at 1am.

Buy the yearly sub it's well worth it. Or you want a local storage solution which means buying a NVR, a large HDD and more electricity being consumed locally as well as storing the nvr, it's noise and heat. I'm sure hikvision offer a doorbell now if you don't want a subscription.

Soldato
The new ones all seem crap compared to the old ones, lots of people unhappy in the subreddit, and on the youtube reviews. Really disappointed in Google. They continue to butcher every company they acquire.

I love my old nest cams, but I can see myself switching to a 4k DVR system if I ever want any kind of upgrade in the future.

The new generation seem like a step backward in quality and features, features and recording capability.

Caporegime
Buy the yearly sub it's well worth it. Or you want a local storage solution which means buying a NVR, a large HDD and more electricity being consumed locally as well as storing the nvr, it's noise and heat. I'm sure hikvision offer a doorbell now if you don't want a subscription.

It's this of the eufy one.
I just hate subscriptions. I try to avoid them as much as I can. Otherwise you can end up having endless ever increasing subscriptions.

Caporegime
It's this of the eufy one.
I just hate subscriptions. I try to avoid them as much as I can. Otherwise you can end up having endless ever increasing subscriptions.

I agree but you really need a subscription in this instance. Even more so if you want to expand your set up in future.

As an example I have both. I have 4 * dahua cameras and an NVR and I have nest hello doorbell and an indoor iq camera. The very large drive required for a NVR isn't cheap, then you have the noisy fan on the NVR which is expensive to replace with a noctua it's around £25 because it's so small and 12v. Then you have the cost of an NVR itself. They aren't cheap. Then you have all the running and maintenance costs. Electricity, upgrades, potential failure, etc.

Now the nest subscription isn't cheap either but it gives me 30 days 24/7 recording, alerts, all sorts it's also apparently insurance for the doorbell too. If it gets stolen they will give me a new one. Now I can keep adding additional cameras to my nest system and it costs me no more. If I add cameras to my dahua system I need more Poe slots, I need a larger hard drive, I need to run more cables.

I would say if all you have is the doorbell sure it's an expensive sub but if you add more cameras it becomes less and less expensive as the price of the sub is the same. I'll be getting some more next time they are on sale.

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny

I was actually going to ask a niche question. You might be able to help

Does the nest camera system have the ability to turn on at certain times, send alerts and detect animals?

I ask as I'd love to be able to remotely check on my chickens. And be alerted if there's a fox detected at night. Or check remotely during the day they are OK.
A fox could easy get in at night but if I got an alarm on my phone I could easily go out and prevent disaster in time.

This is especially important for holidays.

This is very niche. But with the doorbell would make it worth the subscription.

Back
Top Bottom