Do you run an AdBlocker?

Soldato
What do you use for this?

Not the person you asked, but since I'm here and they haven't replied yet...

AdGuard Home is probably the easiest.
PiHole.

Or just use uBlock Origin in your browser (or switch to Brave). There are other network-wide blockers like pfblockerng or dnsbl integrated into a recursive resolver like Unbound, but those are probably out of scope.

Soldato
What do you use for this? I also understand sites and content creators need to make money but at the same time YouTube in particular has become a bloody nightmare watching on my TV, constant adds popping on interrupting then sometimes something messes up with it trying to load the add in so I end up with a black screen and have to then quit out of YouTube app and back in again, so annoying.

Hey. I did use pfBlockng on pfsense, but now I use pihole on a raspberry pi 3 and OPNSense as the router. The block lists are much more manageable using pihole.

Man of Honour
brilliant. If you visit 10s or hundreds of websites a day it's a massive pain to configure each one, as they don't often have a simple reject all button, instead you've got to go through and manually reject everything especially legitimate interest which always seems to be pre selected. That or use a private browser.

That makes no sense. If you choose to reject any cookies, why do you think it's brilliant for your choice to be removed?

Soldato
What do you use for this? I also understand sites and content creators need to make money but at the same time YouTube in particular has become a bloody nightmare watching on my TV, constant adds popping on interrupting then sometimes something messes up with it trying to load the add in so I end up with a black screen and have to then quit out of YouTube app and back in again, so annoying.

Have a look at Adguard home (i use this) or pihole.

The only caveat is that i don't believe you can block ads on the youtube app, they've found away around blocking the DNS queries. So you can either watch youtube in a web browser that does have ad blocking, or there are some 3rd party "youtube" apps which apparently work well.

Edit: just noticed Rainmaker also mentioned these.

Soldato
That makes no sense. If you choose to reject any cookies, why do you think it's brilliant for your choice to be removed?

Removing the popup or changing how it works doesn't automatically mean you will be forced to accept cookies does it? You will have to wait and see what the actual proposed change it. No point trying to second guess it.

By default cookies are supposed to be off, and you opt-in. Unfortunately that isn't happening a lot in the UK. The sites based in the EU are much better about it.

Soldato

You're assuming that your choice to reject the cookie is being removed.

It's a shake up which means it should be mandated for these cookie choices to be significantly easier to accept/reject. Whether that's some sort of auto-reject setting, or maybe an approach of opt-in rather than opt-out. Or even cross-sharing of cookie consent - just picking on news/media companies, but typically you'll have a parent company that has a dozen websites, and cookie consent could be shared across those so you don't have to accept/decline anytime you visit a sister site.

Man of Honour
Removing the popup or changing how it works doesn't automatically mean you will be forced to accept cookies does it? You will have to wait and see what the actual proposed change it. No point trying to second guess it.

You're assuming that your choice to reject the cookie is being removed. [..]

The change is removing the need to ask for your consent and the change is being made for the benefit of businesses in that context (that was explicitly stated). So yes, I'm assuming that your choice is being removed and you will be forced to accept cookies. Why would it be anything else? Most people will approve because they'll see it as being a good thing that the popup asking for consent is removed. The biggest complaint isn't about cookies. It's about the consent pop-up.

Soldato
The change is removing the need to ask for your consent and the change is being made for the benefit of businesses in that context (that was explicitly stated).

That's not entirely correct though. As the article puts it "high risk" sites, which should be anything that logs PII would still need some sort of cookie acceptance. Anything that doesn't log PII is quite likely unnecessary.

Soldato
Solution is simple but default all cookies should be off, a small banner at the bottom of the screen that doesn't interfere with content can ask if you want to accept cookies or configure or reject. No response within a certain time sees the banner removed and defaults to reject cookies.

This is how GDPR should work rather than a huge massive banner in the centre of the screen stopping you doing anything on the site until you respond. Then thousands of so called 'legitimate interest' option pre-selected sometimes without an object to all option. One such legitimate interest what is usually on is "Create personalised ads profile"

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe they should be focusing more on regulating the market for the information that's being gathered by the cookies. They'll just find another way to harvest it otherwise.

Soldato
It was the reason the consent popups started in the first place as it requires informed consent. It was brought into UK law on 1st Jan 2021 taking over form the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - which came into effect in the UK in May 2018.

But isn't this the eprivacy directive (aka "Cookie Law"), which predates GDPR (early 2000's iirc), rather than GDPR itself which is directed more at data protection as a whole?

Edit - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/cookies-made-simple

Last edited:
Soldato
The original article that others and I are talking about mainly discusses the GDPR with a brief hint towards privacy directive.

Although the e-privacy directive might predate GDPR, we didn't see every website throw up consent banners. The PECD has been in force since 2002. It wasn't until GDPR that things got stupid.

Soldato
Although the e-privacy directive might predate GDPR, we didn't see every website throw up consent banners. The PECD has been in force since 2002. It wasn't until GDPR that things got stupid.

In which case, those website wouldn't have complied with the directive which we (UK) adopted in to law in 2012. If website owners bought in cookie consent banners/pop-ups because of GDPR then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But GDPR wasn't the cause of them and, from what i know (happy to be wrong), the eprivacy directive hasn't been redacted nor directly rolled into GDPR (GDPR's scope is far larger than cookie pop-ups) so it would be that (i would have thought) that would need to change rather than GDPR directly.

Soldato
Fair enough, it doesn't change a thing though so it's splitting hairs, the conversation is about getting rid or intrusive banners. whether they should have been on every EU website since 2002 but weren't until 2018 doesn't really matter in terms of the experience for users.

Just block cookies be default let the user opt-in in an unobtrusive fashion.

Back
Top Bottom