How much do you need for comfortable existence in retirement.

Soldato
10% is conservative. This year would be 20% and last year more like 40%.

eh? I think you need to seriously caveat that with -
  • There are no guarantees with investments in ISA/Unit Trust/Shares/Stocks/ Investment Trusts etc.
  • Last couple of years have been good but rarely are people making 40% in ISA funds unless some seriously high risk investments.
  • Expecting or hoping for those numbers is just ridiculous and you can NOT plan your retirement around ridiculous numbers like that.

Man of Honour
Ignoring/assuming rent or mortgage isn't in the picture - I can live quite comfortably on a fairly low income. A bit more of a consideration would be saving enough to pay for an unexpected (or expected) big bills like having to replace a car or a boiler, etc.

• There are no guarantees with investments in ISA/Unit Trust/Shares/Stocks/ Investment Trusts etc.
  • Last couple of years have been good but rarely are people making 40% in ISA funds unless some seriously high risk investments.
  • Expecting or hoping for those numbers is just ridiculous and you can NOT plan your retirement around ridiculous numbers like that.

Yeah in more recent years I was having to be quite hands on to make anything like that from my investments/savings and it was turning into a bit of a full time job. It sucks currently as my money is barely doing anything in comparison at the moment. If I hadn't have spread my money a bit I'd have likely taken some losses as much as making some gains as well as some stuff did terrible and other stuff well.

Interesting how much of a long game it can be as well - I had some money in alliance pharma but pulled it on the 2018 high right before it fell off a cliff - citing I wasn't feeling what the long term of it was - it has pulled back again in recent years.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Dad went at 60 - I have 17 yrs on him now but I don't smoke or stuff my hodge with chocolate.
When i retired in the first two years I did all the jobs I didn't do while working but after those jobs were done I got bored so did a part time job just to earn enought to keep my hobby of clay shooting up - without that job I wouldn't have been able to do it. - So as it was my pension didn't cover my hobby. Yes it is boring if you do not have the means to do other things.
I don't care what other people think -You need as much money as you can get to retire comfortably- Do not underestimate what you will need.
Yeah but you don't say what your pension is and any bills or commitments. So we can't judge your opinion, I had a quick look at prices and clay shooting doesn't seem that expensive.
Anyhow each to their own, but no one is going to live forever and for most, once you get above 75 you can't do much.
Working is a waste of your life.

Caporegime

which is why i said 10% or are you still struggling to read?

Soldato
Financial advisors will happily tell you otherwise, since a few unfortunate market crashes, I have been very sceptical of claimed returns, if you win someone loses and if it were that easy everyone would be rich.
I have since been extremely conservative and with the benefit of hindsight might have been better off, but tbh I'd rather take no risks and I've done OK in the long term.

Man of Honour
which is why i said 10% or are you still struggling to read?

Even 10% you can't guarantee on any more :( I used to be able to manage 9+% with minimal risk and almost entirely hands off. It sucks a bit for people who are responsible with their money and diligent savers/investors.

Man of Honour
It comes down to what you deem comfortable of course.

For me that doesn't mean paying bills, buying food and clothes and one holiday a year, it means freedom to do as I do now really. Buy stuff I want, go places I want, travel in a manner I am accustomed to and having nice stuff each year.

For others it means spending on their bills without a mortgage and the odd holiday with a bit of cash left for a beer and the odd weekend away. For me that is surviving not living so my pot needs to be significant. I am 54 and aim to be done at 65 at latest, 60 ideally. My pension pots are healthy, my likely inheritance will be good (mum and dad still going strong 82 and 78) but I am putting no reliance on those and mortgages will be done well before I am retired. I don't want my retirement to be just getting by each month and planning for the end point.

Soldato
OP
It comes down to what you deem comfortable of course.

For me that doesn't mean paying bills, buying food and clothes and one holiday a year, it means freedom to do as I do now really. Buy stuff I want, go places I want, travel in a manner I am accustomed to and having nice stuff each year.

For others it means spending on their bills without a mortgage and the odd holiday with a bit of cash left for a beer and the odd weekend away. For me that is surviving not living so my pot needs to be significant. I am 54 and aim to be done at 65 at latest, 60 ideally. My pension pots are healthy, my likely inheritance will be good (mum and dad still going strong 82 and 78) but I am putting no reliance on those and mortgages will be done well before I am retired. I don't want my retirement to be just getting by each month and planning for the end point.
Remember imo, your capacity for fulfillment & enjoyment degrades :) , makes sense to have more free time earlier to a degree.

Man of Honour
Remember imo, your capacity for fulfillment & enjoyment degrades :) , makes sense to have more free time earlier to a degree.
True but again it's a very personal thing. My mum still travels all over the planet with her friends, NYC couple of years back, France before that and she is 82. My father is 78 and just bought another 911 and drives across Europe most years. My parents are separated, dad remarried mum didn't. I agree on finding time however, do not let life and work consume you, make time to do fun stuff and don't put things over experiences.

Soldato
You're a class act Housey. A thread about a chap trying to determine if 1500 quid a month is enough to live on and you're talking about your 911-owning, jet setting parents, and how well you'll do when you inherit their wealth on top of yours. I'm surprised you've not just posted a picture of your £100k Mercedes just to twist the knife further.

Man of Honour
You're a class act Housey. A thread about a chap trying to determine if 1500 quid a month is enough to live on and you're talking about your 911-owning, jet setting parents, and how well you'll do when you inherit their wealth on top of yours. I'm surprised you've not just posted a picture of your £100k Mercedes just to twist the knife further.
My mum has little money, she has state pension and a small personal one and lives in a 2 bed apartment. My dad made his money in his last 10 years. His 911 was 45K, it was about the type not the value, you just chose to take it that way. My inheritance comes form being single child and 2 houses owned by my mum and dad.

Associate
I'm in my 4th year of retirement and I'm 53 now so I have a certain amount of experience for this thread. I have been nodding my head at many comments and shaking my head at many others , as you do with most threads ofc

For me I paid my mortgage off before I turned 39 and then just saved whatever was left at the end of each month. Add to that my wife worked full time with the odd break of a few years here and there. I will point out I wasn't a higher rate tax payer and neither was/is she so we aren't talking big wages by any means. She gave up work 3 months ago to take a break after working solidly through covid and being put on to do more and more work until she finally said enough is enough (with me prompting her to come and enjoy the summer with me) too tempting a proposition to turn down admittedly ;)

It really boils down to how much you value your time as you near the end of your working life/life. No one but you can put a value on what this is worth , however we all got to pay those bills. We live a simple life with no desire to spend money for spendings sake. Not interested in overtly showing off to anyone what we can or cannot afford to buy. We just go along in our little world doing what we want to do. We dont do foreign holidays, buy flashy cars, eat at top restaurants, wear labeled clothes or have the latest phones etc etc. What we do give each other is time together without pressures of work or family bearing down on us. Time is the key to having a peaceful and harmonious relationship. Time to talk and enjoy each others company and to make sure we are both moving towards the same goal in life.

You really dont need a lot in this life , people choose to make it complicated by thinking that 'luxuries' are 'essentials'

Soldato
OP
I'm in my 4th year of retirement and I'm 53 now so I have a certain amount of experience for this thread. I have been nodding my head at many comments and shaking my head at many others , as you do with most threads ofc

For me I paid my mortgage off before I turned 39 and then just saved whatever was left at the end of each month. Add to that my wife worked full time with the odd break of a few years here and there. I will point out I wasn't a higher rate tax payer and neither was/is she so we aren't talking big wages by any means. She gave up work 3 months ago to take a break after working solidly through covid and being put on to do more and more work until she finally said enough is enough (with me prompting her to come and enjoy the summer with me) too tempting a proposition to turn down admittedly ;)

It really boils down to how much you value your time as you near the end of your working life/life. No one but you can put a value on what this is worth , however we all got to pay those bills. We live a simple life with no desire to spend money for spendings sake. Not interested in overtly showing off to anyone what we can or cannot afford to buy. We just go along in our little world doing what we want to do. We dont do foreign holidays, buy flashy cars, eat at top restaurants, wear labeled clothes or have the latest phones etc etc. What we do give each other is time together without pressures of work or family bearing down on us. Time is the key to having a peaceful and harmonious relationship. Time to talk and enjoy each others company and to make sure we are both moving towards the same goal in life.

You really dont need a lot in this life , people choose to make it complicated by thinking that 'luxuries' are 'essentials'
How much per month is required for this existence?

Associate
I've always shoved a fair bit of cash into my pensions over the years as the tax breaks and employer contributions make it difficult to beat. Still got 20 years to go but looking forward to retirement but no doubt some government between now and them will royally shaft me.

Man of Honour
I have a few friends who are coppers. One retired last year, 2 retire this month and next month and another next year and one year after. The one who retired last year finds he wants to keep busy so does a few days here and there (he is 55) when he is not on holiday, which he seems to be every other month. I think of the others most will find other jobs as they are that way inclined, one will definitely pack it all up though. Decent Police pensions as they joined when it was better but to my point it's all about what motivates you.

Soldato
very roughly... to continue whatever lifestyle you have just now in retirement you'd need the same amount of money you're currently earning

that could be offset with pensions, how much you're currently saving, no mortgage/loans etc etc

sorry if that's too basic but how else can you calculate it!

Back
Top Bottom