How much do you need for comfortable existence in retirement.

Soldato
Have to say this strikes a chord with me.

I'm planning to go part time or maybe 3 day week in my early 50s and get the hell out of servitude ASAP. I have way too many interests to be bored in a lifetime of retirement. Assuming I live that long, there's no guarantees with life
I went to three days a week when I was 51, don't regret it at all. 56 now and will probably call it a day when I hit 60.

Caporegime
Thought it might be, cheers. My dad sweats by the S&P and he's done very well with his pension.

We are in one of the biggest bull markets currently and like I said the 60% gain in the past 2 years puts us very much in bubble territory. The US treasury has been printing more bills in the last year than it has in the past 500. That should tell you something. A recession is coming like you have never seen before.

I've actually cashed mine out for the time being and placing into gold bullion which is also tax free in UK and cash as well as individual stock picks for the time being.

As soon as I get a decent return from the picks which should be within the next few weeks I'll be cashing them all out and waiting for the crash.

It took 5 years for the s&p 500 to recover from 2008 financial markets collapse. So timing the market is definitely better than time in the market these days with 5 years worth of gains wiped out overnight.

So now isn't the best time to be invested in the stock markets.

Happy for booyaka to disagree but he got rather salty last year when I sold all my stock before the Covid crash to re-invest at the bottom of the dip.

Soldato
We are in one of the biggest bull markets currently and like I said the 60% gain in the past 2 years puts us very much in bubble territory. The US treasury has been printing more bills in the last year than it has in the past 500. That should tell you something. A recession is coming like you have never seen before.

I've actually cashed mine out for the time being and placing into gold bullion which is also tax free in UK and cash as well as individual stock picks for the time being.

As soon as I get a decent return from the picks which should be within the next few weeks I'll be cashing them all out and waiting for the crash.

It took 5 years for the s&p 500 to recover from 2008 financial markets collapse. So timing the market is definitely better than time in the market these days with 5 years worth of gains wiped out overnight.

So now isn't the best time to be invested in the stock markets.

Happy for booyaka to disagree but he got rather salty last year when I sold all my stock before the Covid crash to re-invest at the bottom of the dip.

Haha thanks. I'll get my dad's perspective on it and act on that. My wife's previous workplace pension is in the Vanguard S&P so it might be worth moving it. It has made healthy gains though.

Soldato

Eh? Good luck to you, or anyone, in what ever way you invest their money. No salt from my side. Would love to see exact where my "salty" comments are....

People can invest however they wish, but some of the comments about expected returns/retirement income in this thread are laughable.

Caporegime
Eh? Good luck to you, or anyone, in what ever way you invest their money. No salt from my side. Would love to see exact where my "salty" comments are....

People can invest however they wish, but some of the comments about expected returns/retirement income in this thread are laughable.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33432332/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33461294/

Need I keep posting more?

You said last time. Everyone is a god in hindsight. I am telling you before it happens this time. I'll be cashing out when my recent buys hit my target. I'm hoping that happens in the coming weeks, 3 months maximum is how long i'll hold for my current buys.

Soldato
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33432332/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33461294/

Need I keep posting more?

You said last time. Everyone is a god in hindsight. I am telling you before it happens this time. I'll be cashing out when my recent buys hit my target. I'm hoping that happens in the coming weeks, 3 months maximum is how long i'll hold for my current buys.

You can keep posting all you want - Neither of the posts quote you...So there was no "salty" comments aimed at you or anyone else. You need to read properly.

They are observations about how impressive some peoples investment skills are....And how they managed to time the markets perfectly. Bravo to any individual who does that.

Associate
I think it depends on your risk appetite. I did 250K USD on 500k in stocks this last year. There have been ups and downs but I would never invest in bonds like people are told since they are 'safe'.

Soldato
OP
Seems this subject is something everyone really should be turning over in their mind.

I have other options that would make a difference too, my gf could sell her house and move in, that would bring a decent cash injection , equity release (which is a bit rubbish though), or downsize, current house is 3 bed & really too large for one, but its a nice place.

Like a few posts have detailed though, no one knows what's round the corner so to speak.

Caporegime
I have a parent who will be officially cashing in their private pension in a few months. Looking at taking 25% lump sum tax free because that is a no brainer. Also looking at draw down pension. Only thing they can't decide on is where to move their fund to and what product.

Currently with M&G who are one in the best in this field but I don't know if would be worth moving to a better deal elsewhere? Anyone on here cashed in recently or about to?

Soldato
I have a parent who will be officially cashing in their private pension in a few months. Looking at taking 25% lump sum tax free because that is a no brainer. Also looking at draw down pension. Only thing they can't decide on is where to move their fund to and what product.

Currently with M&G who are one in the best in this field but I don't know if would be worth moving to a better deal elsewhere? Anyone on here cashed in recently or about to?
There's a chap on here getting 10-40% returns in his ISA each year and can time the market perfectly. Have you pinged him?

Soldato
There's a chap on here getting 10-40% returns in his ISA each year and can time the market perfectly. Have you pinged him?
10-40% i wish i was getting that. Pensions and savings other than cash ISAs just confuse me.

I have an Aegon pension from an old employment that seems to be going up slowly. Then i have my current work pension that i pay currently work put in 5% and i put in 10%.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seems this subject is something everyone really should be turning over in their mind.

I have other options that would make a difference too, my gf could sell her house and move in, that would bring a decent cash injection , equity release (which is a bit rubbish though), or downsize, current house is 3 bed & really too large for one, but its a nice place.

Like a few posts have detailed though, no one knows what's round the corner so to speak.

It's a balance.
I sure don't want ot have no money now and loads when I'm crippled. But also don't want to have none for when I'm older too.

As I have no kids, no inheritance needs to be left at the end. Which makes it all a bit different!

Caporegime
I recently brought up pensions with my gf and she got upset. She hasn't really thought about it at all. Which is a tad concerning really.

She's one of those who probably wouldn't even think of it unless someone else brings it up.

I mentioned it as we were talking about monies and she said she doesn't think she'll get inheritance. To which I said.. How's that pension?

Oops!

Soldato

I do this on a daily/weekly basis for my clients, and have been for 20 years or so now, recommending drawdown products and strategies to maximise income and tax efficiency in retirement.

But wouldn't want to be accused of "salty" comments towards you, so probably best I just say nothing.......

Caporegime
To be fair 40 percent last year was easy.
But that was an exceptional year.

I made more than 40 percent. It was hard to lose anything you put in after covid struck

Soldato
Are there any easy to use service for saving, i noticed Aegon Retiready to an ISA but i'm not used to that sort where they charge fees and what not.

Back
Top Bottom