The Matrix 4

Man of Honour
I seem to remember reception being mixed. I initially rated them a bit higher than I would now as it was still relatively new and exciting so to speak though I was also disappointed after the original movie as they were far more superficial though mostly still decent from the action and style perspectives.

Soldato
Maybe the two of you are just too old to remember.. :p

Haha, maybe. I think I was in uni when they came out :). They were released pretty much together. I saw them both at the cinema. The response was so-so. I actually saw the whole trilogy whilst bobbing about in the middle of the Atlantic at the end of 2019/2020. They were overly pompous, and trying to be too clever for their own good. The most hated part by most was the party in Zion.

Soldato
Haha, maybe. I think I was in uni when they came out :). They were released pretty much together. I saw them both at the cinema. The response was so-so. I actually saw the whole trilogy whilst bobbing about in the middle of the Atlantic at the end of 2019/2020. They were overly pompous, and trying to be too clever for their own good. The most hated part by most was the party in Zion.

exactly the same as my opinion.
i was also in uni but post doc-ing - so even older!

Associate

Agreed, very disappointed at both.Watched the sequels on release in my early 30s.

Some of The Animatrix episodes came out to promote the 2nd film and they really wet the appetite. Especially Final Flight of The Osiris even though it was a postage stamp sized video on The Matrix official site.

But 2 was so cheesy and clunky even the highway fight coulnt make up for it.

Rewatched all 3 and The Animatrix this week. The 1st is still something special, the 2nd is awful, the 3rd at least has the Zion dock invasion.

The Animatrix is still really good, Final Flight of The Osiris and The 2nd Renaissance are the stand outs.

V F

V F

Soldato
The Matrix movies were all great back then because of how new and experimental they were..

However, almost two decades on the novelty has definitely worn off.

They will always be special, even if just a tiny little bit..

It was also a different world and generation back then.

Soldato
The 1st is still something special, the 2nd is awful, the 3rd at least has the Zion dock invasion.
A matter of of opinion, as always :)
I enjoyed the second and still do, even if it did get way too far up it's own arse and some of the effects don't hold up that well.
The 3rd, however... I recall sitting in the cinema rolling my eyes at that dancing on the ceiling fight scene and being bored out of my mind waiting for the dock invasion to be over with. It just went on and on...
At the end of the film, I remember standing up and saying "What a load of ****" in a crowded theater :cry:

Soldato
Re-watched 1 - 3 to be ready for 4.

1 - amazing!

2 - amazing!

3 - amazing!

Although a point deducted for 2 for the Zion orgy - wtf?

2 and 3 had some fantastic set pieces and characters, but of course neither were as good as the first and discovering the matrix - goosebumps at the time!

V F

V F

Soldato
IIRC the directors wanted to show the raw, organic nature of humanity vs the cold sterile nature of the machines or something to that effect, hence that scene.

I was hoping to see more of the gritty machine world in 3. It was starting to happen after Neo lost his sight but it quickly ended. I did love it when they flew up into the sky. The feeling of humanity hidden in the darkness. The feeling of hope that could be restored again. Even seeing Trinity witness it.

Soldato
I did love it when they flew up into the sky. The feeling of humanity hidden in the darkness. The feeling of hope that could be restored again. Even seeing Trinity witness it.

Again IIRC that scene was meant to represent "something" from an Old Testament story/allegory when they broke through the clouds and saw the sun and blue sky but I can't remember exactly what that "something" was unfortunately as it's been a while :D

Back
Top Bottom