USB soundcard recommendations please

Associate
Hello, thanks for the recent cable help.

I'm now looking for an external USB soundcard
  • Budget 50-150
  • Happy to look at a DAC but must have mic input
  • Good stable driver support, Creative reviews on Amazon are all over the place
  • It will be driving headphones/headset under £100
Overall, looking for something better than onboard RealTek ALC897.

Thank you

Soldato
I also had these on my list, but went with Soundblaster when it was on B grade

Fiio K5 Pro
iFi Zen DAC
Sennheiser gsx 1000

Associate
OP
Definitely entirely whacked up prioritities, if some expensive "DAC" is used with cheap propably gamer headphones.

Sorry, I just mentioned 50-150 as a guideline to give experts on here some flexibility in their recommendations. Of course if I buy something over 100, then I can consider better headphones to match!

Soldato
Sorry, I just mentioned 50-150 as a guideline to give experts on here some flexibility in their recommendations. Of course if I buy something over 100, then I can consider better headphones to match!
What the usage?

That affects lot to what you need.
For gaming sound card has usefull extra features over DAC especially for headphone use.

In headphones feature/"performance" variation is even greater:
For start there's difference between closed and open headphone design.
Closed design is mandatory for isolating environment's noises and great for lowest "rumbling" bass immersion.
But otherwise it's harder to balance and isolates also heat more increasing risk of ears sweating.
Open design allows more easy balancing of sound for "open" sound and with fabric/velour pads isolates the least heat.
But it just doesn't block any noises and you'll basically hear things completely unmuffled through it.
(for example noisy mechanical keyboard...)​
Then there's the tuning/sound signature.
If purpose is balanced/normal gaming you'll likely want some above neutral bass for good "fun factor".
Again for pure max competitiviness in say fps gaming you'll want at most neutral bass, without much of that fun.​
Also headphones tuned for so called "warm" sound in music aren't front contenders for gaming, because of rolled off treble hinders spatial and other details.

Not that much above £100 actually gets some very good headphones for gaming from actual audio makers.
Compared to what we gamers have to pay for graphics cards sound cards and headphones are really semi free for their usage life...

Soldato
Do you need / want sound isolation?
This will dictate open/closed

Do you need / want wireless or happy with wired headphones?

Soldato
I'm happy with open wired headphones, currently using semi-closed ones, Sennheiser Century SC 665 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GN8NWP/
So already have a £146 headset.

To answer your original question the Creative G6 meets all these points.

I'm now looking for an external USB soundcard
  • Budget 50-150
  • Happy to look at a DAC but must have mic input
  • Good stable driver support, Creative reviews on Amazon are all over the place
  • It will be driving headphones/headset under £100

It does not have USB inputs

Associate
OP
So already have a £146 headset.

To answer your original question the Creative G6 meets all these points.

It does not have USB inputs

That's OK, this headset is dual use, the 3.5mm jack plugs into an optional USB cable. I am guessing a proper USB device will have better sound compared to the electronics built into the volume control.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am guess a proper USB device will have better sound compared to the electronics built into the volume control.
Can't say im up to scratch with USB devices, i'm sure there are some good ones now.

Whenever I look at what I call 'professional' headphones and mics, they are never USB. Don't think Neumann sell USB mics
Personally I use a 3.5mm V-Moda Boompro Mic connected into some Beyerdynamic headphones

Associate
If I understood the pictures of the headphone, it is a 3.5 jack headphone, which then connects to a USB dongle/control.
If that is the case, you can simply ditch the dongle and connect straight to the G6.
You would lose the control options of the dongle, obviously, but that would be all.
The G6 has a USB port, but that is used only to supply power or to connect it to a device (which will transfer data and power).
There's no other way to supply power to it.
Depending how a person uses the G6, the rear input and output comes into play.
For my PC, USB, them speakers uses the rear output which can be either mini optical or 3.5 jack, and front headphone 3.5 jack.
For my PS5, when I tested it, USB to Console, as the PS5 doesn't have an optical output (really, Sony?). The PS5 recognized it and worked well.

Associate
OP
If I understood the pictures of the headphone, it is a 3.5 jack headphone, which then connects to a USB dongle/control.
If that is the case, you can simply ditch the dongle and connect straight to the G6.
You would lose the control options of the dongle, obviously, but that would be all.
The G6 has a USB port, but that is used only to supply power or to connect it to a device (which will transfer data and power).
There's no other way to supply power to it.
Depending how a person uses the G6, the rear input and output comes into play.
For my PC, USB, them speakers uses the rear output which can be either mini optical or 3.5 jack, and front headphone 3.5 jack.
For my PS5, when I tested it, USB to Console, as the PS5 doesn't have an optical output (really, Sony?). The PS5 recognized it and worked well.

Yep, my bet is the G6 has better sound quality compared to the USB dongle. I will look to find one on ebay or the creative refurb shop.

Soldato
This - https://uk.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock

Bargain for £75. Drivers have been very stable for me.
Has driven AKG 702 and now Beyerdynamic DT1770.

Why spend upto £150 on a DAC and only upto £100 on headphones? :confused: Put that spare £75 towards better headphones
Nice find on the B grade! Are these just returns then but tested and working?

Edit: Just ordered one, can't beat that price!

Spoke to a rep and they said it comes with 1 year limited warranty as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice find on the B grade! Are these just returns then but tested and working?

Edit: Just ordered one, can't beat that price!

Spoke to a rep and they said it comes with 1 year limited warranty as well.
I believe they have had bgrade stock for years on and off. Returns from people who didnt want them I guess.

My packaging and box was a bit mangled up but the device looked to bein perfect condition. Had no problems with it at all

Soldato
I believe they have had bgrade stock for years on and off. Returns from people who didnt want them I guess.

My packaging and box was a bit mangled up but the device looked to bein perfect condition. Had no problems with it at all
Yeah when i asked the sales agent they said it was unwanted but tested thoroughly so should be fine. Have to take their word for it but for the price you can't complain.

Should have mine in a few days together with another set of speakers! 3rd time lucky!...

Back
Top Bottom